First Impressions

First Impressions
« on: April 12, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »
I'd like to hear others first impressions of the OB6.   I just received  mine last weekend, and thanks to a snowy Ohio spring, spent the entire weekend with it.

Does sound really nice!   I appreciate the "what you see is what you get" controls.  Plenty of places to save patches and no computer needed if you do not wish.

I think the concept on modulation controls is different than the other DSI's I own.  In other words,  there's other ways that you can go about modulating your patches besides the ways I'm familiar with doing on the P8 or PEK. I don't think I'll feel limited.

I thought the second LFO feature via using oscillator #2 set to "low" is a nice idea.

I'm not 100% pleased  about the aftertouch though.  A little too stiff and instantaneous on the various curves available IMO.  My fingers get sore pushing that hard.

The sequencer is a beauty at ease to use and to program.  Unfortunately, you cannot change key transpose on the fly as you can on PO8, PEK or Pro 2. 

The glide setting and slop settings are easily manipulated on the fly...making an additional  tool available for live performance.

Some factory sounds are really good.  then, some I wish I never heard  :-\   Again, just matter of taste.

I cannot wait to start making some patches on the OB6.  I'll probably start with some pads, which seemed the least represented in the factory banks.

Nitpicking.......   LED's might be a tad bright 8)

Overall I'm glad Dave and Tom ran into each other at the bar...like that promo video showed :)

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Re: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:52:56 AM »

The sequencer is a beauty at ease to use and to program.  Unfortunately, you cannot change key transpose on the fly as you can on PO8, PEK or Pro 2. 

Hold down the sequencer 'record' button and press a key to transpose the sequence while it is in playback mode.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »
Second impression:    Really starting to like this machine as much as I hoped I would.   At this rate I'll be filling up my memory banks up pretty quick ;D.     Just got a hammered dulcimer sound programmed yesterday that I was previously only able to mimic on the PEK using imported waveforms.

My only complaint-is still hoping that the aftertouch loosens up after more use.  A bit sudden (meaning on or off) curve.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
I'd like to hear others first impressions of the OB6.   I just received  mine last weekend, and thanks to a snowy Ohio spring, spent the entire weekend with it.

First Impression -- amazingly flexible synth. I would say that this is the best first impression I've ever had with a synth.  Better than the V-Synth, Prophet 12, MOOG Sub-37... Lots of wow factor in this beauty.

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »
I'm in love!  :)

Picked one up Friday night and spent the snowy weekend getting to know her.  What a beauty!  The sonic possibilities are really fantastic on this - much better than I'd hoped with it having only one LFO.  The X Mod and the continuous tri-state filter knob and modulation possibilities really bring about a lot in the sound design department.  But even without the filter modulation, that filter with resonance just sounds so sweet!

I agree a bit on the aftertouch, although I really should spend some more time trying out the different aftertouch settings to get the one that works best for me.

It would be _nice_ to be able to set the mod wheel to something other than the LFO amount, but that's something I can live with.

I also love the fact that this is knob per function - no need for menu diving.  It's akin to my Sub37, but even the Sub has some menu diving or odd button combos - especially with the sequencer.  The sequencer on the OB is a lot more intuitive, although not quite as powerful.

Oh, and the effects are a great touch as well - very nice sounding and add some nice things, including the distortion when you really want to crank out something.

Presets?  I'm pretty meh on most of them.  There are some very interesting ones, but seems like a lot are very similar sounding.  I bit the bullet on the editor as well to analyze the presets I liked.  I know many have had issues, but after re-booting it's worked perfectly for me via USB on Win 10.

This is my first DSI/Sequential synth, and I couldn't be happier.  It fits a hole in my sound design abilities, but most importantly sounds fantastic and is a ton of fun.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
Second impression:    Really starting to like this machine as much as I hoped I would.   At this rate I'll be filling up my memory banks up pretty quick ;D.     Just got a hammered dulcimer sound programmed yesterday that I was previously only able to mimic on the PEK using imported waveforms.

My only complaint-is still hoping that the aftertouch loosens up after more use.  A bit sudden (meaning on or off) curve.

Well it seems that what is the OB6's aftertouch abruptness (IMO), is mostly a mechanical keybed issue, not an electronic issue.  I hooked up the PO8 as a controller to the OB6 and the PO8 was able to apply a much smoother application of the AT effect.    On a positive note,  tinkering with both these instruments midi'ed together allows for the most massive wall of sound :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
Oh, if only the voice counts matched.

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »
Oh, if only the voice counts matched.

Ah,  but my finger abilities are limited so I may not miss it. ;)