Prophet 6 keybed vs Rev2?

LPF83

Prophet 6 keybed vs Rev2?
« on: July 11, 2020, 04:26:13 PM »
For those able to compare side by side, does the P6 keybed feel more like the Rev2 or the OB6?

To some they might have a similar feel, but the OB6 keys feel lighter where the Rev2 keys have this subsantial strike and weightedness and aftertouch response that just feels so musical.  Trying to figure out studio layout logistics and whether to get a P6 desktop or keyboard version.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

Re: Prophet 6 keybed vs Rev2?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 04:46:34 PM »
For those able to compare side by side, does the P6 keybed feel more like the Rev2 or the OB6?

To some they might have a similar feel, but the OB6 keys feel lighter where the Rev2 keys have this subsantial strike and weightedness and aftertouch response that just feels so musical.  Trying to figure out studio layout logistics and whether to get a P6 desktop or keyboard version.

I didn't realize when I wrote this that less than a month later I would be able to answer my own question.  Was waiting to see what the new synth announced would be, but decided that with all the current craziness I did not want to be an early adopter of any expensive music hardware, I'd rather just add a Prophet 6 to my rig now.

The verdict is that the P6 keybed feels more like the Rev2 to me than the OB-6.  A very subtle amount of increased tension on the two Prophets that makes them feel like the keybeds are apples from the same tree.  The OB-6 key feel is quite similar, but a little lighter/snappier feeling.  Similarly, the knobs on the P6 have more resistance when turned than either the Rev2 or OB-6.  None of this has much impact on actual playing, the differences are slight enough that most will probably forget about them, or perhaps not notice at all.

I'm thankful that all of them don't have the "impact noise" that the keys on my Novation SL MKII MIDI controller do (meaning, tapping an arp on one of the keys produces a noticeable striking noise that can be heard by others when you have headphones on).

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC