Advice on a Prophet 12 purchase

Advice on a Prophet 12 purchase
« on: July 06, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »
Hello all — I’m picking up a new synth soon, and was hoping to get some advice about the Prophet 12.

Backstory: 15 years ago I had a tiny home studio, writing and recording. Synth-heavy, angsty rock and pop songs. A Desktop Evolver, Little Phatty, and Nord Lead 2 covered my needs pretty well (and I loved using the Evolver’s external inputs).

Then life happened, I stepped away from music, and sold my gear. Now I’m getting back into writing and need a synth.

I don’t have a controller, love the flexibility of Dave/Sequential’s digital and hybrid instruments, and will also need something with decent polyphony in the mix. Would also prefer to buy new.

That’s led me to think the Prophet 12 keyboard might be the best option (I’ve dug all the demos I’ve watched, and there are still some new ones out there!), but given everyone’s personal experience, what’s your take?

Is buying discontinued synth a bad idea? Would you recommend picking up multiple synths instead (I tend to do a lot of MIDI sequencing before recording)? Is the Prophet 12 Keybed a dealbreaker? Is it worth buying anything until whatever’s coming in August is announced?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! The landscape seems to have changed quite a bit since I was last selecting gear!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 08:55:06 AM by bcbishop »

Mr Kay

• The Disease
Re: Advice on a Prophet 12 purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 01:18:29 PM »
It's be a good choice, it can easily make the Nord sound and you'll find the vibe of your Evolver (alas without the audio input).

Here's the features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGyPc8OY4QA

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 07:06:30 PM »
Personally i wouldn’t do it. The Prophet 12 is fantastic but I think Sequential has moved forward in terms of features and functions. If the Pro 3 taking the place of the Pro 2 is any indication then the Prophet 12’s successor is going to blow it out of the water. The Pro 3s Wavetable oscillator alone makes the Prophet 12’s static wavetables green with envy. I say hold off, there’s no rush. Don’t just get something for the sake of getting something fast because a much better think is likely around the corner.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
Thanks both! Really appreciate your takes.

That point you make, LoboLives, is where I think I’m leaning at a the moment — at least long enough to find out what the next Sequential product is going to be. I love the sound and overall concept of the Prophet 12, and have no doubt it would cover all the bases — but when something’s that long in the tooth and discontinued it’s hard to not start thinking about what’s next.

Of course, there’s always the option of a Pro 3 + a polyphonic module at some point down the road. Who knew that diving back in would be so complicated?

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 11:33:39 PM »
Thanks both! Really appreciate your takes.

That point you make, LoboLives, is where I think I’m leaning at a the moment — at least long enough to find out what the next Sequential product is going to be. I love the sound and overall concept of the Prophet 12, and have no doubt it would cover all the bases — but when something’s that long in the tooth and discontinued it’s hard to not start thinking about what’s next.

Of course, there’s always the option of a Pro 3 + a polyphonic module at some point down the road. Who knew that diving back in would be so complicated?

If you want synth heavy angsty rock and pop songs. You want my honest opinion?

Crumar Seven stage Piano with an OB6 on top or if you are leaning to more industrial type stuff then a Pro 3.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 12:52:14 AM »
Is buying discontinued synth a bad idea?

I don't think so.  All you are getting in the new model are new bells and whistles. Does the P-12 do what you need/want it to do?  If so, then the discounts on it being a discontinued model are definitely worth it.  In the case of DSI/Sequential, you will always have parts and service of the synth.  So, that will not be a problem with the P-12.

Would you recommend picking up multiple synths instead

I have a P-12 as well as several others.  It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish, your budget, and your tolerance to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).  The P-12 is a deep synth, and does a lot, but it doesn't do everything.  No synth that I know of adequately covers all areas.

Is the Prophet 12 Keybed a dealbreaker?

Depends upon your tastes.  The only way to know is to play one and see if you like the keybed.  Some like it, some hate it.  For me, I got the module and use a Montage as the controller.  If you get one of the "problem" keybeds, DSI appears to be changing them out for a good one. 

Is it worth buying anything until whatever’s coming in August is announced?

When the new product is announced and distributed, the P-12 price will probably go down.  Old law of supply and demand.  People will want the new synth and the old one stays on the shelf.  Regardless, whatever comes out will not make the P-12 obsolete.

I love my P-12 and do not regret buying it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:02:36 AM by jdt9517 »
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 07:43:11 AM »
Thanks for the great reply, jdt9517. Not being able to play anything during the lockdown is certainly complicating matters. That said, I’ve loved most of the P12 demos I’ve heard, and the ability of the oscillators to sound digital and cold is an asset for my needs (though I’ve heard it quite warm as well).

Looking at a couple used keyboard models that would be a tremendous value if the deal makes, which may end up being the deciding factor between pulling the trigger and waiting. Thanks again for your input!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 09:08:16 AM »
Is the Prophet 12 Keybed a dealbreaker?

Depends upon your tastes.  The only way to know is to play one and see if you like the keybed.  Some like it, some hate it.  For me, I got the module and use a Montage as the controller.  If you get one of the "problem" keybeds, DSI appears to be changing them out for a good one. 

Jim, I realize you've got the Prophet 12 Module, but you seem to be in-the-know about the instrument in general.  I've played the P12 Keyboard and am fine with it.  But what is the keyboard problem you referred to?  Is there an inherent flaw?  And how easy is the procedure of replacing an old keybed with a new one?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:08:22 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 10:33:29 AM »
What i have read on other threads that there is a problem with "lazy keys".  On some keybeds (I think earlier production) keys would start moving slowly and the touch sensitivity would not pick up more lightly touched keys.  DSI was taking the owner through disassembly and repair.  In some cases, DSI was replacing the keybed.

I think it was a flaw in some of the early keybeds being used by DSI on the P-12 (but don't know for sure).  I have not done it myself, but it seems to be pretty easy to disassemble and remove the keybed.   I haven't seen this discussion come up recently.  So, I guess this problem is with earlier production only.

Your coming from an organ background, I would think the P-12 keybed would be fine for you. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »
Thanks for the information.  It would be handy to have the serial number cut off point between the older and newer keybeds.  Anybody know of it?