Real time note record

Real time note record
« on: July 04, 2020, 09:41:20 AM »
Is anyone aware if real time note recording will be coming to Pro 3? Love the Pro 3 but step recording notes is a bit robotic 

Pym

Re: Real time note record
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »
It is a feature I want to develop but is unlikely to be added without a great deal of work. Without a click track, live recording isn't very flexible. A monophonic live looper is pretty limited

Is anyone aware if real time note recording will be coming to Pro 3? Love the Pro 3 but step recording notes is a bit robotic
Sequential

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »
No worries, its great as it is, sometimes i just want to lay down by hand although to be fair i can do that in other ways, thankyou for the reply

Its a lot of fun and sounds terrific

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »

This would be an awesome feature to have realtime recording of notes!!   It's one of the features that was added to the MatrixBrute in a firmware update, and it is a much more intuitive and streamlined way to record note sequencing.   The note starts would be quantized of course, but if it could be implemented with the holds/duration calculated, and rests where there is empty space, it would be awesome!!   It makes recording grooves so much easier, especially with longer 64 note sequences... rather than having to "do the math" and figure out where the notes should hit, how long, and where to put holds/rests.

Note: we can currently real-time record modulation after the notes are input manually.  (hold down record while turning knobs).. which is a really nice function.

But yeah, adding real-time note recording would be super awesome!.. maybe with a simple recording click guide too?   Even without a click, it is useful when playing with a sync'd drum machine / other parts.   

For recording start/stop, if it started with all rests, then operates in an overdub type of mode, that might be optimal... then you could punch in at any time and add addition notes per loop if you really wanted... then just turn off record when finished, and it would resume playing.   Or alternatively, if there was a way to let the sustain pedal activate overdub when held down (with overwriting/adding rests over existing seq if there are spaces) 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:24:07 AM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »
+1 for Real Time Record.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 03:29:24 AM »
i certainly don’t underestimate the complexity of getting it right but how does the key step pro do it? Surely that has a ‘smaller’ brain than the Pro 3 ? Hope it comes sometime in the future, it’s so much more intuitive playing a part rather than inputting by step.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 07:30:26 AM »
i certainly don’t underestimate the complexity of getting it right but how does the key step pro do it? Surely that has a ‘smaller’ brain than the Pro 3 ? Hope it comes sometime in the future, it’s so much more intuitive playing a part rather than inputting by step.
I don’t think the brain size has much to do with it. Based on what Pym said it’s more about prioritization.

The KSP is designed to be a hub for sequencing so something like that gets prioritized. There is no modulation matrix, envelopes, LFOs, VCO stabilization, wavetables, and everything else that was part of the software development for the Pro 3. If each of those takes X number of hours to implement on the Pro 3 and it takes (4 x X) to implement the real time sequencer you can see why it wouldn’t get prioritized—at least for the initial launch.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 09:01:16 AM »
I don’t think the brain size has much to do with it. Based on what Pym said it’s more about prioritization.

The KSP is designed to be a hub for sequencing so something like that gets prioritized. There is no modulation matrix, envelopes, LFOs, VCO stabilization, wavetables, and everything else that was part of the software development for the Pro 3. If each of those takes X number of hours to implement on the Pro 3 and it takes (4 x X) to implement the real time sequencer you can see why it wouldn’t get prioritized—at least for the initial launch.

Yeh I understand and makes sense, but the Pro 3's sequencer would be so much more if you could actually just play/record a sequence, rather than coming up with something and then having to figure out how to get it to sound exactly the same without a lot of trial, by which time you have forgotten the nuance of the piece. But maybe I ask too much.

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »
You cannot compare the Pro3 to the MatrixBrute.  The MB cannot even sync to incoming midi clock!  now THAT's what I call lame.

Stoss

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 10:42:31 PM »
Korg Monologue has real time recording, step recording, syncs to an external clock and sends all sequencer data out over MIDI. Seems like the ideal candidate to make up for what the Pro3 is unable to achieve.  ;)

Kosmikos

• https://kosmikos.bandcamp.com
    • Kosmikos on bandcamp.com
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 12:16:25 AM »
I was really surprised to find out that this wasn’t possible. Having to fiddle with the encoders to select the correct note seems to be a crazy oversight when you have a full size keyboard attached.

It could be as simple as holding a step button while hitting a note on the keyboard. Or if this isn’t possible due to the way gate/trigger mode works, then press a step button, then hold the record button while pressing a note on the keyboard.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »
I was really surprised to find out that this wasn’t possible. Having to fiddle with the encoders to select the correct note seems to be a crazy oversight when you have a full size keyboard attached.

It could be as simple as holding a step button while hitting a note on the keyboard. Or if this isn’t possible due to the way gate/trigger mode works, then press a step button, then hold the record button while pressing a note on the keyboard.

To be clear, you can do note step recording... that functionality works great on the Pro3.

There's just no real-time record option, where the clock is running and notes (and all rests and holds) are recorded.   In step recording you can manually add the rests, but the nice thing about having real time recording is that you can capture the timing/groove of an idea easier - if you're creating a longer groove with some notes on beat and some off beat, it can be tedious to figure out where all the rests and holds should be, and for how long... that's the real benefit to real-time recording... capturing timing/groove.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
+1 for real time recording!

I gotta say the sequencer and step recording are brilliantly implemented, even if step recording is kind of a chore in the first place.

Btw, I bought the Keystep Pro when it first came out. I haven't used it for a while. Real time recording on it was a pain, as for some reason I could never properly time my first note in the recording and would always have to go back and redo that part. If you read up on it, you'll see that it suffers from the same problems as earlier ARTURIA products in the fact that the first users end up being the beta testers. It has a lot of problems... The one thing I did like was the split key feature, but playing mini keys just isn't comfortable for me.

I love my PRO 3 though!

Kosmikos

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 01:53:15 AM »
Yes I was talking of real time editing of the sequence, not recording.
But if we could do what I explained, then we could record real time what is played on the keyboard in the same way we can record the knobs/encoders’ movements while the sequence is being played.
I’m not quite sure why this is possible to do with the cutoff, but not with the keyboard.

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 02:33:01 AM »
Real time adding of ratchets would be cool.

Kosmikos

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 03:13:45 PM »
It could be as simple as holding a step button while hitting a note on the keyboard.
So this bit is actually already implemented    :D. I’m not quite sure why I thought this wasn’t working.
Pressing record while playing the keyboard isn’t though.

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 03:56:22 AM »
+1 for real time recording. Machines like the Elektron devices also don't have a click track and it's still super intuitive to record in real time. Couldn't the REC button led blink in the right tempo to visualize the tempo?

To prevent missing the first step in a live recording, a shift functionality to shift all recorded steps to left or right could also be added.

korfu

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 10:43:30 AM »
So say Sequential added real time recording (with some kind of quant, most likely), where would the metronome be expected to come from? I'd think that most likely there wouldn't be one and you'd have to play to the tempo/bpm light (I forgot which one it's labeled as).

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 11:22:55 AM »
So say Sequential added real time recording (with some kind of quant, most likely), where would the metronome be expected to come from? I'd think that most likely there wouldn't be one and you'd have to play to the tempo/bpm light (I forgot which one it's labeled as).
You could use the step LEDs, your DAW’s metronome, your drum machine, etc.

flocked mentioned Elektron devices; I think I used the LEDs or external audio more when I used the Analog Keys than I did the onboard metronome.

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 06:50:17 AM »
+1 for real time recording. Machines like the Elektron devices also don't have a click track and it's still super intuitive to record in real time. Couldn't the REC button led blink in the right tempo to visualize the tempo?

To prevent missing the first step in a live recording, a shift functionality to shift all recorded steps to left or right could also be added.

I use the Elektron Digitakt a lot in my workflow. Elektron gear definitely has an optional metronome, but I tend to add my own high-hat "click" track. The lights do help with rhythm, but i prefer to hear it as well... esp important as I tend to close my eyes when I'm trying to feel the rhythm :)).

When recording on the Pro 3, I did add a noise "click" track, and it worked pretty well. The problem is that it's changed by the audio processing (filter, effects, etc.) If there was a way to set a track to bypass audio processing, that would be a cool feature (I also want that for audio in, but I digress....).

I agree with this request overall, it's a challenge to record things like rhythms with dotted 8ths. Instead of counting it out, I use the Digitakt to realtime record it, then enter it into the the Pro 3 as needed.