Smartest workflow to creating a beat from different sysex loaded sounds

Gents,

Thank you in advance for your helpful comments. I hope someone can tame some time to read this, as I know it's long.

I'm used to loading drum samples into the s950 and triggieng them from an external machine (I used to use an Roland R8).

Now I have the tempest and I have collected some sysex sound files from Brotha Yargos and others. Mostly these are delivered into the tempest in a beat, so there's like 16 pads of snares, 16 pads of kicks, etc.

Well I'm sure most cats just pick and choose a sound or two form these different beats and import them into a NEW beat with 16 pads of sounds created from these sysex loaded beats.

So let me know if I'm doing the most logical way:

For example , Brotha Yargos has three packs, one beat with 16 bass sounds, one beat with 16 snares/snaps, one beat worth 16 kicks.

So I now have 3 pads with each sysex dump (pad a1 has all bass, pad a2 has snares, pad a3 has all kicks)

So now I make a new pad, a9 let's say.

Now I want to use only one kick, snare, and bass from each of those sysex loaded beats.

So, copy then tap on the pad with the sound (a1 has the bass, so I choose pad3 that has the sound I want)

Then paste [a1/pad3] to the new beat I just made, which is pad A9 [so A9/pad2 lets say]

And rinse and repeat for the other sounds to build a custom beat.

Does this make sense and is this the most logical way to create from other sysex loaded beats?

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
Gents,

Thank you in advance for your helpful comments. I hope someone can tame some time to read this, as I know it's long.

I'm used to loading drum samples into the s950 and triggieng them from an external machine (I used to use an Roland R8).

Now I have the tempest and I have collected some sysex sound files from Brotha Yargos and others. Mostly these are delivered into the tempest in a beat, so there's like 16 pads of snares, 16 pads of kicks, etc.

Well I'm sure most cats just pick and choose a sound or two form these different beats and import them into a NEW beat with 16 pads of sounds created from these sysex loaded beats.

So let me know if I'm doing the most logical way:

For example , Brotha Yargos has three packs, one beat with 16 bass sounds, one beat with 16 snares/snaps, one beat worth 16 kicks.

So I now have 3 pads with each sysex dump (pad a1 has all bass, pad a2 has snares, pad a3 has all kicks)

So now I make a new pad, a9 let's say.

Now I want to use only one kick, snare, and bass from each of those sysex loaded beats.

So, copy then tap on the pad with the sound (a1 has the bass, so I choose pad3 that has the sound I want)

Then paste [a1/pad3] to the new beat I just made, which is pad A9 [so A9/pad2 lets say]

And rinse and repeat for the other sounds to build a custom beat.

Does this make sense and is this the most logical way to create from other sysex loaded beats?

Hi Morgenspaziergang!

I'm a bit sleep deprived at the moment, so please forgive me if I'm missing something. Probably consequently, I'm having a bit of trouble following your explanation.

The first thing that comes to mind is to just save the sounds you like into your sounds folder. This should allow you to freely bring up a sound in any preexisting or new beat. IIRC, if you put sounds into their appropriate folders (kicks, snares, claps, etc.) you can easily scroll through them when choosing sounds for your beat. Although I think it has to be on a predetermined pad (A12 is defaulted to Kick, for example).

I hope that helps!

so what you cats are saying is

load up these sysex beats to a pad(s), then audition the sounds.

save the sounds you like into the folders set up on the tempest (snares to snares, kicks to kicks, etc)

then delete the ones you dont and rinse and repeat to the second sysex loaded beat,

correct?

so this "sound auditioning" manual labor should be done up front before making a beat with your preferred sounds then if i am following you cats correctly, then as you start on a new project/beat, you just go to your new initialized beat and use the hard knob to scroll through the sounds yeah??? :)

Load your Beats,save each sound to the appropriate category and then:
16 Sounds mode -> Pads Screen -> with the 2 right soft knobs you can select on the fly your saved sounds by selecting a Sound Type and Load Sound.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:01:19 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

cool you confirmed my thinking.

thanks all for setting me straight here.