1 (16.7%)
P6
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 08, 2020, 09:22:11 PM

Torn between the OB6 and P6

Torn between the OB6 and P6
« on: July 03, 2020, 09:22:11 PM »
I am a Rev2 owner. I’m coming to realize that my Rev2 is more feature rich than I need, but simultaneously it has a smaller sweet spot than my Moogs. I don’t have the ability to play with both synths in store, and I don’t believe there is a wrong choice. But here is my takeaway from every clip I’ve heard:

OB6, warm but punchy. Great low end
P6, softer, less defined low end, but beautiful top end sheen.

I’m leaning P6, because I believe the Moog’s I have will carry the lows, but there is just a string like quality I love to the OB6, but I love the soft but brassy prophet color....decisions, decisions.......
OB6, Tempest, Subsequent 37 Nord Stage 2 EX. Mainly guitar....

LPF83

Re: Torn between the OB6 and P6
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 06:48:53 AM »
I am a Rev2 owner. I’m coming to realize that my Rev2 is more feature rich than I need, but simultaneously it has a smaller sweet spot than my Moogs. I don’t have the ability to play with both synths in store, and I don’t believe there is a wrong choice. But here is my takeaway from every clip I’ve heard:

I’m leaning P6, because I believe the Moog’s I have will carry the lows, but there is just a string like quality I love to the OB6, but I love the soft but brassy prophet color....decisions, decisions.......

I wasn't clear on whether you're planning to keep the Rev2 or not?  If you must let the Rev2 go, I'd probably get the P6 over the OB6 because both P6 and Rev2 are way more versatile.  Then again if you're keeping the Rev2, the OB6 and Rev2 make awesome companions. 

The punchy bass of the OB6 is one of the reasons I have one; I much prefer the Obie sound to Moog's offerings but I'm more into the synthwave vibe than funk (where I think Moog excels).  If bass needs are already fully covered elsewhere it would make a stronger case for P6 I think.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 10:38:53 AM »
I've never had an issue with the Prophet-6's bass capabilities, but be aware that you can boost the bass response with the help of the hi-pass filter. Just turn up the resonance and keep the cutoff frequency low. That will emphasize the frequencies in the lower register.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:18:39 AM »
I have never played on a OB6, but sold my Rev2 to buy P6 or OB6. I watched a lot of Youtube videos and read in forums and ended up buying a P6 because I found it more versatile. I love the mellow sounds of the P6, OB6 sounds a bit too upfront and bright to me (but people who own both know this better than me).

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:59:19 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I already own a PRO 3 and a Prophet 600 GliGli mod, but am itching for a new Sequential Poly. Anyone have a 600 gligli that can compare it to the newer p6 and ob6? I don't have the option of trying them both at a local dealer.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 05:00:51 AM »

I'm not sure if you already made a decision, but now that I own a P6 and can fairly compare it with the OB6 side-by-side, I can give a definite recommendation for the Prophet 6 as the board to own, if you must choose only one.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my OB6.  I bought one for a specific purpose -- because I was so satisfied with the Rev2's ability to provide that fat classic Prophet sound, I wanted something that could specifically address the lack of Oberheim sound in my setup.

Both of them inspire me and make me want to play.  The OB6 is essential to my setup but it is very "niche" in the sense that what it does, it does very well...but the spectrum of what it does well is much narrower than the P6.  It is sort of like this little  demon that is known to misbehave and doesn't always do what it's told, but is guaranteed to keep things interesting wherever it goes.

In almost every category I've tried, including bass, the Prophet 6 seems to do better at creating gorgeous and usable sounds.  If a punchy low end is what you're after, the P6 is better choice IMO, and that was a something that I did not expect to find.  The P6 just seems to sound great no matter what I throw at it.

As someone who likes to experiment with genres like darkwave, John Carpenter soundtrack-type stuff, I will never part with my OB6.  But there are times when holding down a simple 3-note chord sounds disappointingly harsh on the OB6 because the natural drift between voices is so severe.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC