Hold not relatching when pressing new chords

Kosmikos

• https://kosmikos.bandcamp.com
    • Kosmikos on bandcamp.com
Hold not relatching when pressing new chords
« on: June 28, 2020, 03:54:50 AM »
Anyone found a way in Hold mode to relatch when pressing new keys rather than adding them to the voices currently being played?
I couldn’t find an option to do this, and it feels counter intuitive to me.

Kosmikos

• https://kosmikos.bandcamp.com
    • Kosmikos on bandcamp.com
Re: Hold not relatching when pressing new chords
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:35:33 AM »
Haha, this didn’t show up in my search, but I’ve just found it mentioned in page 3 of the feature request thread. I guess it’s not possible then.

maxter

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 05:40:22 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately not. I haven’t been able to do anything with the ARP for this reason. I’m not surprised anymore, but I once was. I remember there being a bunch of ARP-related bug fixes in various 1.1.4.x OS updates, and then the beat sync. Like ”Momentary Arp Sustain”. I always thought that one of these fixes would make possible this desirable and expected behaviour, with or without the use of a sustain pedal. Or somehow. But no. I don’t know if it’s possible to make it work by going via a DAW and back, using beat sync. It’d be far from optimal at best, and my guess is it won’t really work the way we’d want anyway. So still waiting and hoping for this feature to be implemented... eventually.

We can’t use the gated sequencers nor the ARP on the Rev2 the way we’d expect to, for now.
The Way the Truth and the Life

kris

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 07:14:19 AM »
I remember there being a bunch of ARP-related bug fixes in various 1.1.4.x OS updates, and then the beat sync. Like ”Momentary Arp Sustain”. I always thought that one of these fixes would make possible this desirable and expected behaviour, with or without the use of a sustain pedal.
I never figured out how that is supposed to work. Do you know what the intention for the momentary arp sustain setting for the sustain pedal is, i.e. how they think we should use it?
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

maxter

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:30:07 AM »
Nope, same here, I too would like to know.

If anyone else has found a way to relatch new chords with the ARP reliably (staying in sync), by any method, please chime in!

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 01:48:59 PM »
You can solve this shortcoming by using the limitation of polyphony: for example with the 8-voice version you can simulate „hold with relatching“ by quickly double pressing four-part chords (hold activated).
This does not always help, but with slow pads it works quiet good.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:50:58 PM by Kasimir Effekt »

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 02:52:06 PM »
This was one of the feature requests that I sent in... It did get implemented.

There's a couple settings that vary how it works.

First, in GLOBALS, this is the setting that was added per my request:
26. Sustain Arp:  Arp Hold Momentary

Next, click the ARP MODE button on panel.  Now use the parameter knob to get to ARP RELATCH.  Set this to "ON".   Note, this setting is saved per-patch, so you can adjust some patches to work in relatch mode, and others in additive mode.

This combination of settings lets you play the arpeggio in a live setting, hit a chord and use your foot to sustain that arp pattern (or use hold).    Then you can play other instruments while holding down pedal for as long as you need.   And you can stab another chord on beat and it will relatch to those notes.   And you have immediate control to stop sequence just by releasing the sustain pedal.   I use this functionality often when playing multiple synths together.

There are several other settings and variants that alter how timing is locked or what the sustain pedal does in arp mode.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 01:05:45 PM »
This was one of the feature requests that I sent in... It did get implemented.

There's a couple settings that vary how it works.

First, in GLOBALS, this is the setting that was added per my request:
26. Sustain Arp:  Arp Hold Momentary

Next, click the ARP MODE button on panel.  Now use the parameter knob to get to ARP RELATCH.  Set this to "ON".   Note, this setting is saved per-patch, so you can adjust some patches to work in relatch mode, and others in additive mode.

This combination of settings lets you play the arpeggio in a live setting, hit a chord and use your foot to sustain that arp pattern (or use hold).    Then you can play other instruments while holding down pedal for as long as you need.   And you can stab another chord on beat and it will relatch to those notes.   And you have immediate control to stop sequence just by releasing the sustain pedal.   I use this functionality often when playing multiple synths together.

There are several other settings and variants that alter how timing is locked or what the sustain pedal does in arp mode.

Also, occurred to me to mention:  The Arp Relatch is set Per Preset AND Per Layer... so if you've got Layer A/B Stack or Split, make sure you are applying it to the correct layers as appropriate (hit Edit Layer B while in that menu option to see how both layers are set)

And one more thing...  When entering Globals menu, I advise against using the sustain pedal or hold switch.   There's some strange issues that occasionally occur if you have the sustain pedal held when entering/exiting globals.  And in general, I avoid playing or making many other adjustments while the Globals menu is open.  Just set your Globals as you want, then exit the menu and test if you're getting the behavior you desire.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 06:53:24 AM »
creativespiral: thanks *so* much for this. I was pulling my hair out trying to get this behavior and had given up.

maxter

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »
Great, thanks for that, spiral!

So the relatching works now, in sync and all, that's nice. Unfortunately, the arp is still behaving quite odd, and hard to get predictable results with... The only way to be certain of what will be the first note of the next chord is to press the particular 'first' key of the next chord just after the 'last' key of the previous chord, but you have to make sure to NOT press any other key until after the first pressed key has been triggered, THEN you may (quickly) press the other keys for the chord. I slowed everything down ridiculously slow, but no matter how early I press the first key, if I press any succeeding key after that BEFORE the first key has triggered, then there's no way to know which will be triggered first, no matter if the first key is pressed WAY ahead of the second. I actually found the second key to be triggered more often, but didn't find any way to predict which would trigger first consistently.

So, in effect, when launching the next chord, I have to make sure to press the first key ONLY until it has been triggered, then QUICKLY press the other keys before the first retriggers.

I cannot get any predictable results of the first note triggered in a real, not even a somewhat up to speed, scenario. It stays in sync though, so I suppose it could work for the random arp mode, which I rarely ever use, as I mostly want predictable patterns. So, it's still pretty useless to me personally. If I'm doing a 5- or 7-step pattern for instance, it's essential that I can hear the beat of the root note on the ONE every time, even when switching chords, otherwise it loses it's purpose, the way I use it.

I don't know why most other arps I've used simply locks on to the first key you press, no matter if you press the other keys before the first has been triggered. As long as the particular key is pressed FIRST, it is triggered first. It just works. But not on this machine, unsurprisingly.