Tempest has officially been retired.

Re: Tempest has officially been retired.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 12:41:09 PM »
I must admit this news came as a surprise to me as I thought it was discontinued years ago!

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »
I still don't think there's a 6 voice fully multi-timbral analog poly that competes with the Tempest is there? I've certainly seen nothing I'd want to replace mine with. In fact it's probably going to get more use than ever as I begin integrating it properly with my (small) euro setup. ;D

For some reason, Elektron's Analog Rytm doesn't really appeal to me as much as the Tempest -- as Tempest's ability to deliver a pretty comprehensive multitimbral experience checks a lot of boxes for me. The only other synth I've come across that appeals to me in that regard is the Cheetah MS-6, but they're older and harder to come across. I like that the Tetra has an analog noise source, but programming one (let alone for percussive combos) standalone seems a bit off-putting.

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »
NI Maschine standalone has been released and still, I will be waiting for some sort of a Tempest 2.

Could not find any other machine which can rival the dynamic nature of the Tempest. the ease of assignment of any param to velocity, beat-wide parameters which allows you to 'squeeze' the whole grove into HP or short decay, or to exaggerate sustain of all HH/ SD.
you can really play like a wild drummer which can open up the whole drumkit with sustain and dynamics

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 11:01:49 PM »
The one is a sampler the other one is a poly synth/drum machine..My guess is T2 will be the best of both worlds ;)
NI Maschine standalone has been released and still, I will be waiting for some sort of a Tempest 2.

Could not find any other machine which can rival the dynamic nature of the Tempest. the ease of assignment of any param to velocity, beat-wide parameters which allows you to 'squeeze' the whole grove into HP or short decay, or to exaggerate sustain of all HH/ SD.
you can really play like a wild drummer which can open up the whole drumkit with sustain and dynamics

Stoss

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 09:53:16 PM »
Man... it will take a lot for me to drop cash on a DSI/Sequential product again. So many companies releasing great sounding, feature rich gear with buttoned up firmware. Rytm OS 1.60 is fantastic. Arturia with that amazing PolyBrute. Stiff competition for that hard earned money.

KoSv

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2020, 12:40:59 PM »
stop whining. make music.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 12:42:35 PM by KoSv »
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 04:11:03 PM »

And yet, it took me all of 30 seconds to find a post of yours, from not that long ago, ironically commiserating with Stoss and whining in your own right about the state of the Tempest, complaining that its development had been halted prematurely...

yes!

... but what I don't understand is: why they've dropped the development? this machine is not ready.
there are still things that can be fixed.
and as of today (November 2019) you can buy a fresh tempest in the store (ca. 1800€).

and btw. writing in this forum feels like writing a letter to a dead man.

::)

Cheers!

Stoss

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »

A fountain of inspiration.

KoSv

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 02:02:06 AM »

A fountain of inspiration.

Sorry, I've no intentions to inspire trolls
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:10:19 AM by KoSv »
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

KoSv

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 02:02:43 AM »

And yet, it took me all of 30 seconds to find a post of yours, from not that long ago, ironically commiserating with Stoss and whining in your own right about the state of the Tempest, complaining that its development had been halted prematurely...

yes!

... but what I don't understand is: why they've dropped the development? this machine is not ready.
there are still things that can be fixed.
and as of today (November 2019) you can buy a fresh tempest in the store (ca. 1800€).

and btw. writing in this forum feels like writing a letter to a dead man.

::)

Cheers!

cheers!
so what?

... you really do not have better to do than this??
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:09:01 AM by KoSv »
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2020, 02:53:29 AM »
In the middle of a pandemic lock-down, venues closed, no one touring...

Actually, ya, I have plenty of time to point out your hypocrisy — especially when it's aimed at one of the more respectable members of this community.  Not that Stoss hasn't already got you pegged.

Cheers!

KoSv

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2020, 03:49:49 AM »
In the middle of a pandemic lock-down, venues closed, no one touring...

Actually, ya, I have plenty of time to point out your hypocrisy — especially when it's aimed at one of the more respectable members of this community.  Not that Stoss hasn't already got you pegged.

Cheers!

well thank you for your time.
I honestly am hoping, despite the current situation, that you'll find a better job than trolling with someone who is actually contributing to the Tempest community.
But whining and trolling is much easer than actually do something meaningful. Now I understand why you both are such good friends ;)
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2020, 05:35:02 AM »
I did my part.

And your randomizer is appreciated, just not your otherwise unwarranted comments about "whining" to those who have easily contributed as much or more to this community and the Tempest's development than yourself.

Cheers!

Stoss

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
@KoSv

This is a community. These are conversations. When people start talking about a new piece of gear (Maschine +) and speculating that an unreleased Tempest 2 is a reason to not buy some other gear, I think it's a fair contribution to the conversation to say that other gear (Rytm & PolyBrute) are worth considering, and that any new iteration of the Tempest would have some serious hurdles to overcome for me personally to get on board. That is normal conversation. If we were sitting around a table drinking beer and talking, that would be normal conversation. If you were at that table and blurted out "stop whining. make music." the entire table would stop and look at you and wonder what your problem is.

KoSv

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2020, 12:49:52 PM »
@KoSv
 the entire table would stop and look at you and wonder what your problem is.

yes. but pehaps there are one or two people at the imagenary table that are quite happy because a stupendous boring conversation is being interrupted. :P
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2020, 11:47:13 PM »
It's best to ignore those two as they're endlessly derailing threads. For the record, Elektron is the worst company I ever dealt with as far as customer service for electronic gear is concerned. If we're going to bring up the Rytm, I'll just say the sound engine is not my cup of tea and the pads are awful even on the Mk2. Their parameter lock system is the only good thing I have to say about their products. 

Stoss

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2020, 02:26:52 PM »
I've spent a fair amount of time with the Rytm lately. I had the MKI since day one and am now on the MKII. I spent a lot of time ignoring the Rytm as I was always really happy with the Tempest and favored it for live performance with my group. When the pandemic hit and I found myself with more solitary time to dig into gear. I decided to focus exclusively on the analog synthesis side of the Rytm. While trying to emulate other analog gear, I've really grown to love the sound design capabilities of the Rytm. Many of the sweet spots are hidden in subtle use of the filters, envelope, LFO and overdrive. It's a great machine. The Rytm MKII pads are much better than the MKI but are not as sensitive as the Tempest. Repairing equipment through the Elektron US service center was extremely slow, but in the end they went above and beyond to make things right for me. Indeed, the parameter lock system is really nice. The most recent updates to probability have made it even better. I'd say that the Rytm is the ideal machine to get a nice beat going that can have organic fluctuation to it and can be programed to remain interesting over time. It's the perfect machine to accompany other synth and music activity. The Tempest is the ideal machine to create beats and manipulate sounds in real time. It is the perfect machine for a percussionist to perform live with. As a true instrument, it must be played.