Will there be any more firmware updates?

Will there be any more firmware updates?
« on: June 20, 2020, 02:46:10 PM »
Is there any way of knowing if there will ever be any more updates to the Rev2 firmware? There are enough bugs and quirks that every time I sit down with it to do sound design, or try to work with the sequencer, I feel like I'm working with a powerful but pre-beta device. I'd expected Sequential to be pretty mum about product plans, but it sure would be nice to know if they have anything more in store for the Rev2. Any rumors?

Admittedly, I've gotten spoiled by Novation constantly improving their devices, making me feel like they're investing in a long-term relationship. Both the Peak and Bass Station II have had *significant* feature updates, each inspiring new ways of using their devices.

They construction and keybed are top notch (I currently use it now more as a midi controller because I love the keybed so much). Just don't feel like the software matches the hardware quality.

maxter

Re: Will there be any more firmware updates?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 03:05:00 AM »
Rumor has it that there will be...
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4019.0.html

It's been 17 months since the latest OS release. I have touched the Rev2 once or twice in that time. I know the feeling too well, after some work designing a sound, running into a bug. Putting the patch on hold indefinitely in wait for a bugfix, deciding to do a different kind of patch, just to run into a different bug... Had I known beforehand, I would've stuck with P'08 until the Rev2 works properly. Unfortunately I had to sell it to buy the Rev2. I had hoped to take some of my P'08 patches even further on the Rev2, turned out they didn't work at all... and they still don't.  :'(

It's amazing in a way...
End of rant
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »
All I can say is that I've been told there will be another OS update.  The pandemic has surely slowed things down quite a bit, but I'm hoping it won't be too long.  I've got the price of a Rev2 (or two) burning a hole in my pocket right now, until that next update.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:51:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 11:06:17 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there a canonical list of the bugs / outstanding issues you’re referring to (either here or outside the forums)? Have zeroed in on the Rev2 but would love to get a sense if there’s problems in store.

Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 03:49:41 AM »
All I can say is that I've been told there will be another OS update.  The pandemic has surely slowed things down quite a bit, but I'm hoping it won't be too long.  I've got the price of a Rev2 (or two) burning a hole in my pocket right now, until that next update.

I'm very curious what would be in that update (my request to send MIDI CC from step sequencer would make me pee my pants)!! It is the best synth I've ever had.

maxter

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »
bcbishop
That would be the Bug report thread at the top of the forum. There are other threads as well if you surf the forum. For me personally, it's mostly about the gated sequencer bugs, key step mode in particular, as I was making complex gated sequences in tandem with my other sequencers driving the P'08 sequencers for various results, rhythmic and harmonic. On the P'08 I most often found myself a couple of mod-slots short, so I was expecting to take it to the next level with the Rev2. I still hope to do so some day.
So for some time I was mostly waiting for that to happen while making other patches, but ran into other bugs you can find in the bug thread, and due to the growing frustration with each additional bug I eventually stopped using it. However, this was so long ago, that I think I've blanked out the memories of what the bugs were, and which ones have been fixed or not.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
bcbishop
That would be the Bug report thread at the top of the forum. There are other threads as well if you surf the forum. For me personally, it's mostly about the gated sequencer bugs, key step mode in particular, as I was making complex gated sequences in tandem with my other sequencers driving the P'08 sequencers for various results, rhythmic and harmonic. On the P'08 I most often found myself a couple of mod-slots short, so I was expecting to take it to the next level with the Rev2. I still hope to do so some day.
So for some time I was mostly waiting for that to happen while making other patches, but ran into other bugs you can find in the bug thread, and due to the growing frustration with each additional bug I eventually stopped using it. However, this was so long ago, that I think I've blanked out the memories of what the bugs were, and which ones have been fixed or not.

In that "Bug Thread" it's hard to make heads/tails of what is actually a bug, what's a feature request, and what is just user error... its a mix of those items.   

Also, that thread was created previous to the latest OS version... the first few items in the thread are mentioning OS 1.1.4.13 - so it's unclear if some of the earlier items were fixed in the updates after that.   I think probably the only good list of bugs is held internally at Sequential.   They always recommend to send in bug reports to official support channels... and when you do, they evaluate it and get back to you if its a confirmed bug, or just some other issue. Sometimes things are just hardware limitations or design choices.   Even with some bugs, its still a best in class synth for its price range.  When they do another round of firmware updates, it will be even better... looking forward to that. 

@maxter - re: The gated sequencer bug with key stepping in stacked mode - I agree! - that's my most anticipated fix that I'm hoping for, as it will improve voice modeling capabilities, and ability to create complex rhythmic sequences using both layers with the gated seq. (Ticket #48090)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

maxter

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 07:01:04 PM »
Good points, as always!

My most anticipated bug fix as well (obviously)  ;) Definitely the one affecting me the most.

I don't remember if the LFO sync works like it should yet, but I have a vague memory that it's been fixed? But that's another bug/bugs I remember.

On the P'08 I used to key trigger each voice from an external sequencer (synced) at different rhythmic intervals, and then turn key trig off for each LFO to freerun. Doing this in a sequential fashion differently for each of the 4 LFOs (and also for each voice) makes for some interesting results. Depending on the intended result, I reset some voices LFOs using Unison mode with LFO key trig, to have them aligned (as starting point) before diving into subdivisions for each voice. Same approach can be used with the gated sequencers, triggering the voices with an external sequencer at various synced rhythmic intervals (generally a couple of steps apart for different starting points of the sequencers, with some subdivisions/offsets), then switching to the "no gate" mode, making the sequencers freerunning which creates interesting syncopations, melodies and harmonies, depending on how the gated sequencers are programmed. Combining both approaches ( +others) was really something else. Having set up a patch well, which took an evening or two at least, I could just let it run and listen for an hour without any noticable repetitions of melodies or anything. It often sounded "generative", though it really wasn't.
(I may not be 100% on every detail here, as it's been a couple of years now...)

So, I'd really like to get on with this eventually.

I quietly and patiently awaited this bug fix for some time, before starting to complain on the forum, as I was expecting it to be fixed soon enough. I mean, how long could it take?... There have been many OS releases since, with a lot of other bugs fixed, and some new creeping in.

So all in all, this far, a kind of disappointing experience for me, personally. Perhaps I'm one of those more affected by this, as many others seem to have barely any issues with it at all. Will it ever be completed? Who knows, but I still have some hope left. Although I've heard of another product being abandoned before reaching its "completion" (OS)...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:05:40 PM by maxter »

maxter

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 07:10:17 PM »

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply! Fingers crossed!

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »
In that "Bug Thread" it's hard to make heads/tails of what is actually a bug, what's a feature request, and what is just user error... its a mix of those items.   

This reminded me of my first couple of weeks with the synth itself; not knowing what was a bug what was my error or what was just a design decision that competed with what I was already used to.

I found a lot of it to be teething pains.  I've found a happy place with it now -- it's not a perfect instrument but it does so many things well.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC