Midi connection

Midi connection
« on: June 17, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »
Need a bit of help here please.  I want to connect my Prophet desktop and my RD-8 drum machine and sync.   No problem there ...midi out to midi in BUT how do I connect my keyboard controller to control my Prophet 6 at the same time when the Midi in input is taken by the RD8?  Thanks

jok3r

Re: Midi connection
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 11:13:31 PM »
You will need a Midi Merger to multiply your Midi In port.

If your RD-8 has the option to send out its internal data plus what is coming to its input both to Midi Trough, you could build a setup like Midi Controller out -> RD-8 in, RD-8 through -> Prophet in ... but I don't know if the RD-8 can do that. If not, stick to solution one ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:13:17 AM »

If your RD-8 has the option to send out its internal data plus what is coming to its input both to Midi Trough, you could build a setup like Midi Controller out -> RD-8 in, RD-8 through -> Prophet in ... but I don't know if the RD-8 can do that. If not, stick to solution one ;-)

Okay I will try the Midi merger box.  From reading some reviews it seems many midi keyboards can NOT power this box and they’ve established a list on their site but I don’t see my Arturia Keykab listed so I will purchase and give it a try.  Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 06:49:35 AM »
Your RD-8 definitely has midi through ... I just looked it up on Sweetwater. I’d try midi-through before spending more money on a merger box. Set it up like Jok3r said and you should be able to get midi from your controller to your Prophet via the drum controller.
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 07:11:08 AM »
Your RD-8 definitely has midi through ... I just looked it up on Sweetwater. I’d try midi-through before spending more money on a merger box. Set it up like Jok3r said and you should be able to get midi from your controller to your Prophet via the drum controller.

Thanks..Okay I'll play around with it today and see if I can get all three working together.  Yes the RD-8 has Midi thru.

I'll update

jok3r

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
Having Midi Thru is not the point... most midi equipped instruments have a Thru port.

The point is, that the instrument not only redirects the incoming midi data from the In port, but also sends its own midi data to the Thru port. Not every instrument has this option. If the RD-8 cannot do that, Arion316 could for example not sync the Prophets clock to the RD-8. The RD-8 must do the software merge to have it working as I suggested in my post above.

I know instruments that can do this internal merge. But I would guess, that most instruments can't.

If you decide to buy a Midi Merger choose one with an dedicated power supply. They should work with all instruments.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 07:43:27 AM »
Having Midi Thru is not the point... most midi equipped instruments have a Thru port.

The point is, that the instrument not only redirects the incoming midi data from the In port, but also sends its own midi data to the Thru port. Not every instrument has this option. If the RD-8 cannot do that, Arion316 could for example not sync the Prophets clock to the RD-8. The RD-8 must do the software merge to have it working as I suggested in my post above.

I know instruments that can do this internal merge. But I would guess, that most instruments can't.

If you decide to buy a Midi Merger choose one with an dedicated power supply. They should work with all instruments.

I see...I've got the midi controller keyboard playing the P6 now as its plugged Midi out into the RD-8 in.  Rd8 thru to the P6  IN.  Everything playing individually but not synced yet.  Either what you're saying is correct and it's not sending data out the thru port or my Global settings or RD8 settings need to be adjusted.  I've got the P6 midi channel set to ALL and Midi clock set to In.  When I start the drum machine the P6 sequence doesn't start and when I hit play on P6 nothing happens.  I will read the RD8 manual

RD 8 says - Pressing the SYNC button multiple times scrolls through the 4 Sync option available.
1. INT (internal) – The sync is set by the unit’s internal clock.
2. MIDI – The sync is taken from the MIDI IN port. A MIDI start message is
required in order for playback to start.
3. USB – The sync is taken from the USB port. A message is required in order for playback to start.
4. TRIG (clock) – The sync is taken from the SYNC IN port. Clock start signal is required or playback can be started manually. (Sync In jack has start / stop signal on ring and clock on tip).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:58:29 AM by Arion316 »

jok3r

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »
Either what you're saying is correct and it's not sending data out the thru port...

I'm pretty sure that this is the most probable case... ;-) but still it could be an option in the RD-8. I don't have one, so I don't know...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:57:29 AM by jok3r »

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 05:17:07 PM »

Just to update, I purchased the midi merger from MIDI Solutions for about $60 (non powered).  It works perfectly with my Arturia Keylab61 keyboard controller powering it.  Now I can run my drum machine, Prophet 6 desktop and keyboard controller all at the same time and synced.  Thanks for the help on this one!