Pro-2 Main OS 1.2.0.2

Pro-2 Main OS 1.2.0.2
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:15:31 AM »
Seeing as though we don't have a thread for the new production OS yet (which has finally been posted on DSI's website), I thought I may as well create one.  Thoughts / bugs / general discussion - would be happy to hear people's experiences compared to 1.1.15 before I upgrade to be honest?

Re: Pro-2 Main OS 1.2.0.2
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:13:38 AM »
Thank you DSI, needed on top Midi functionality on board now. OS updates should be on the sticky thread list.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:15:27 AM by Stue007 »
DSI Prophet REV 2, Prophet X

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »
Sequencing or using the Pro 2 as a master keyboard through an Elektron Octratrack (local control off) still causes hung notes. This bug is not present in 1.0 but was in both betas. Unfortunately it looks like it has survived the new production release which means back to 1.0 for any OT users.

edit: support got back to me and confirmed that this bug was not fixed for this release but said "We will be revisiting the OS in the near future and the bug you are encountering will be fixed. I, however, have no information regarding a specific date for a new OS update release."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:42:37 PM by Trevor Refix »
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:53:10 AM »
A couple things I found so far:

• Updating via MIDI did not work.  At the end of the transfer, the screen went static-ish.  I tried this several times and finally updated via USB.
  • MIDI clock sync seems more stable (less jiggling BPM) up to about 150 BPM, but it still jumps around.  By comparison, my Nord Lead 3 tracks solid up to about 265 BPM.

Otherwise, so far so good.  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:27:36 PM by Mr. Rock »
DSI Evolver, MEK, Pro 2, Tempest // Yamaha CS15, AN1X, TX81Z, RY30, RM1X // Nord Lead 3 // Virus Classic // Ultranova // Drumbrute

Sounds: https://soundcloud.com/fuzzys-dead-mouse

Studio: http://goo.gl/HElw2r

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »
I was really excited with this update, but I'm having some bugs with the sequencer. At some point it hangs, and I can't play/stop anymore.  :(

sofine

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 02:03:00 AM »
I was really excited with this update, but I'm having some bugs with the sequencer. At some point it hangs, and I can't play/stop anymore.  :(

I submitted a bug ages ago (my pro2 came new with 1.2.0.2 installed when I bought it back in January) where if you change the seq destination to an external midi destination while the seq is playing (and the clock is master), then it crashes. So, if this is the case for you, set the destination while it is not playing (if you are in master clock mode)

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »

I submitted a bug ages ago (my pro2 came new with 1.2.0.2 installed when I bought it back in January) where if you change the seq destination to an external midi destination while the seq is playing (and the clock is master), then it crashes. So, if this is the case for you, set the destination while it is not playing (if you are in master clock mode)

Yeah, and I think it's not only as specific as that. Now that you mention this, I was also trying to change a Mod destination, to an internal one, and that's where it crashed.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 11:05:30 PM »
OK so how do we roll the OS back? I have a whole show setup with the Pro 2 and Octatrack and it hangs constantly now. I should have known better than to update.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »
Just updated from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0.2.  Happy to report that the Pro 2 clock now accurately slaves to an MPC1000. However, it behaves differently in SLAVE mode than any other synth I have ever used. When the Pro2 is slaved to the MPC, and the MPC is not actively playing a sequence, the Pro 2 has no clock information. If the arpeggiator is on, it will not play unless the MPC is actively in play mode. If the patch on the Pro 2 is a sequenced patch, nothing will happen unless the MPC is actively in play mode.

The other synths I have used over the years slaved to an MPC work thusly: When a patch is loaded and the MPC is stopped, the patch BPM is whatever it was saved at. So, if I made the patch with a BPM of 110, it loads as 110. If the MPC tempo is set to 130, when the MPC begins to play, the synth patch jumps immediately to 130. On some synths, once I press "stop" on the MPC, the synth reverts back to the saved BPM. On most synths (and this is the preferred behavior), the BPM stays at 130, even when the MPC is not actively sending clock.

Does anyone have any other synths that behave in the same way as the Pro 2 currently does in clock slave mode? I am sending a query to DSI about this, and will report back what I hear.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »
The Prophet 12 does the same thing with regards to the arpeggiator. I figured it was by design since the arp is likely just dividing down the incoming MIDI clock pulses.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
Here's the response from DSI, regarding clock slaving:

"Thanks for contacting us here at DSI. Currently this is the known and expected behavior. The Pro 2 will be waiting for a clock signal so it can sync this to the sequencer and arpeggiator or any other aspect of the synth that expects incoming clock. Otherwise, the Pro 2 will not know what BPM it is supposed to be running at. I'll put these on the wish list of features for consideration on a future OS update though I cannot say when or if this will be included."

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 06:44:32 PM »
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, I apologize in advance if it has and is already recognized.

On OS 1.2.02, the sequencer advances a step with every note played. The "play source" is "sequencer", the "play mode" is "normal", "restart" is off, env/trig/step is on. PLAY SOURCE is "sequencer", PLAY MODE is normal, RESTART is off, ENV/TRIG/STEP is on.

I cannot imagine this is the desired behavior.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 04:46:42 AM »
This is related to a previous question I posted without resolve - if my Pro 2 is slaved to Ableton Live and Live is playing/recording, Pro 2 will obviously take a tempo sync, but the arpeggiator does not seem to sync, so if I press the first key down off-beat, it remains so. I find this frustrating to no end! Am I doing it wrong or is this related to the behaviour described above?

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 07:22:11 PM »
Pro 2 does not have "beat sync" for the arpeggiator. The tempo will sync to external clock, but you still have to start the arpeggiator at the right time if you want it to start on beat.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 08:01:32 PM »
It would be very nice if it quantized, though. It can be really easy to get way off the beat. Quantize would be helpful for the sequencer too.

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 08:48:23 AM »
It would be very nice if it quantized, though. It can be really easy to get way off the beat. Quantize would be helpful for the sequencer too.

The lack of quantisation makes the arp all but useless for me to be honest. This is my number one request for the future updates. Plus the local off definitely needs sorting out!

I know they're busy and only a small team but the infrequent updates and fixes will make me think twice about buying something from DSI again. Really nice synth but the lack of progress with bug fixes is quite disheartening.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:52:14 AM by binman_uk »