Prophet 12 Discontinued?

LPF83

Prophet 12 Discontinued?
« on: June 13, 2020, 09:55:22 AM »
A lot of shops seem to no longer carry the P12; is it being phased out?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet 12 Discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »
The Prophet 12 was discontinued about a year ago, but the module version is still available.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 06:24:23 AM »
The Prophet 12 was discontinued about a year ago, but the module version is still available.

Good to know, guess I'm running a little behind the times on Prophet related news. It's interesting that the limited edition (white) version can be still found new, even they only made 100 of them.  I believe the module version doesn't have enough knobs for my taste at that price point.  Has Sequential positioned the Prophet X as the modern replacement for the 12?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 01:58:00 PM »
No.  The Prophet 12 and Prophet X are totally different instruments.  Thery're only related as flagships of the Sequential line.

OceanMachine

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 05:36:09 PM »
Usually any lack of knobs is a hassle, but the P12 desktop is very economical and intuitively laid out. I was actually more annoyed that the Tempest doesn't have dedicated sustain and release knobs. That said, if you're really into jamming while twisting a lot of knobs, it could be an issue.

There's plenty of info stating what the P12/PX are all about & it's easy to spot the differences. One thing that you won't find plainly stated, at least on the official site, is that the PX has a more highly regarded filter based off the classic SSM2044 (the SSI2144).

OceanMachine

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 06:09:34 PM »
Btw, if you really want a machine that can "emulate any sound of theirs (DM)", then go with the PX/XL.

Here's an example that Paul Dither did as an obvious reference: https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/fashion-magazine?in=pauldither/sets/sequential-prophet-x

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 08:34:03 AM »
Btw, if you really want a machine that can "emulate any sound of theirs (DM)", then go with the PX/XL.

Here's an example that Paul Dither did as an obvious reference: https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/fashion-magazine?in=pauldither/sets/sequential-prophet-x

:).. thanks.  I was scratching my head for a bit there and then I realized this might be a side reference to another thread where we were talking about synths that are good at recreating Depeche Mode sounds.  Actually recreating those sounds isn't my primary interest... it's a curiosity.   I have a few patches for the Virus that DM themselves released to the public, and they are fun as a novelty item, but not something I'd go out of my way to use.   I always thought that one of DM's strengths wasn't so much their sound design, it's what they did with those sounds melodically that formed their signature.  The Rev2 actually can emulate a huge range of DM sounds so I'm good there.

My interest in the Prophet 12 was actually more inspired by Dan Haigh of Gunship, and the fact that he mentioned the P12 played a big role in their work to date.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 08:35:53 AM by LPF83 »

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 06:36:33 AM »

My interest in the Prophet 12 was actually more inspired by Dan Haigh of Gunship, and the fact that he mentioned the P12 played a big role in their work to date.

And thank you for showing me Gunship

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »

If you're into top-tier synthwave/darkwave, also checkout The Midnight. 

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »

If you're into top-tier synthwave/darkwave, also checkout The Midnight.

Saw them live. They put on a great show.