Translating a Matrix 1000 sound to OB-6?

Translating a Matrix 1000 sound to OB-6?
« on: June 05, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, so apoligies if this kind of topic has been brought up in the past.

Many ions ago, I owned a Matrix 1000, and loved one particular sound within it.  I am curious as to how similar the architecture is enough to imitate (or translate) a M1000 sound over to OB-6.  Are the two synths close enough relatives to be able to do this?

The actual sound can be found in this video at 1:10: https://youtu.be/AAgEEu-jTXo?t=70  It's called "004 - Synth" (first factory bank) on the Matrix 1000.

If anyone here has a M1000 with a visual editor, perhaps I can see all the parameters visually to see if I can match them to the OB-6 in hopes to get a sound close enough.  Again, don't know if that would work.  Luckily before my M1000 started losing its voice chips long ago, I hyper sampled that patch, but it's of course not the same as "living" analog.

Any help and/or tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Translating a Matrix 1000 sound to OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:56:06 AM »
Here's a quick attempt I just made. In the video, the pulse wave is strong in the attack and seems to fade into more of a saw wave shape when sustained. If you want more of the pulse wave tone in the attack, play around with the VCO 1 pulse width knob. Then you might have to also adjust the LFO amount though. Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »
Hey RAP!

Thanks - that got me a lot closer to the M1000 example than my feeble attempt.  This gives me a jumping off point to get that sound I was looking for back.

Very nice patch collections on your site, by the way!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »
You're very welcome Cinemascore. The example video made it kind of hard to hear exactly what was going on so my patch is only an approximation. Thanks for the kind words!