Opinions on the DSI Prophet Rev2?

Opinions on the DSI Prophet Rev2?
« on: March 21, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm a pianist/Keyboarder and guitarist who produces music professionally since 3-4 years now. I worked with some virtual synthesizer but in the last few months I really felt the urge to get a real synthesizer in my hands :D

My dad recommended me the Rev2, I was looking into it and it seems a pretty solid instrument. I like to play warm and soft pads a lot, would the Rev2 be great for that? What's your general opinion on the device, or do you have any suggestions what could suit me better?

Help is much appreciated :)

Re: Opinions on the DSI Prophet Rev2?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 11:38:56 AM »
The Rev2 is great! 

+ 8/16 voices at a good price point
+ bi-timbral / two layer sound engine gives so much sound design possibility
+ one of the deepest modulation matrixes out there - again, massive sound design capabilities
+ flexible arp and gated sequencer plus four LFOs per voice
+ built in stereo effects are nice option
+ great feeling Fatar keybed

If you're looking in the Rev2 price range, I would say it's the best in its class.   I wouldn't trade mine for other synths costing $1k more.   It's a swiss army knife poly synth - extremely versatile... and yes, it excels at pads, strings and brass sounds... orchestral/soundtrack/atmospheric. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »
The Rev2 is great! 

+ 8/16 voices at a good price point
+ bi-timbral / two layer sound engine gives so much sound design possibility
+ one of the deepest modulation matrixes out there - again, massive sound design capabilities
+ flexible arp and gated sequencer plus four LFOs per voice
+ built in stereo effects are nice option
+ great feeling Fatar keybed

If you're looking in the Rev2 price range, I would say it's the best in its class.   I wouldn't trade mine for other synths costing $1k more.   It's a swiss army knife poly synth - extremely versatile... and yes, it excels at pads, strings and brass sounds... orchestral/soundtrack/atmospheric.
yup

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »
I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the REV2, although I still have mine, mainly because there are synths out there that sound slightly better in my opinion (Prophet 6 and OB6 but that's purely a personal preference), but I must admit that the REV2 offers A LOT for not a lot of money, is of high quality, and still sounds pretty good. Best thing to do would be to try it out before buying. Although in these times of "COVID-19 lockdown" it might not be easy to do.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:32:59 PM »
I'd say don't even hesitate to get a Rev2, and recommend ponying a few hundred more for the 16 voice, because you're then getting 2 outstanding 8-voice analog polys in a single synth if you chose to run it in split/multi mode, or a synth that probably not much else can compete with if you have the thickness of two sounds stacked.

Don't get me wrong, love my OB-6, but it doesn't have the range/versatility of the Rev2.  My next synth may be a P6, or a second OB-6.... but the only reason I say this instead of a second Rev2 is because a single 16-voice Rev2 covers so much territory -- everything else from there out is filling in niche needs.

The other thing is that the Rev 2 has this symbiotic relationship between the hardware and the sounds that I can't describe, like perfect weight to the keys and the impact of aftertouch on the CRAZY amount of modulation possibilities.  I've never known an synth that felt more like an instrument to play.

If my Rev2 and OB-6 were compared to people, the Rev2 is more like Peter Gabriel and the OB-6 is more like David Lee Roth :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:37:55 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC