Possible Bugs

Sacred Synthesis

Possible Bugs
« on: April 08, 2016, 05:52:48 AM »
I have two PEK problems that I haven't seen anyone else mention before, and I'm wondering if they're known bugs.

1) After pressing an oscillator button to single it out, oscillator 1 is detuned one half-step up.

2) After first turning on the instrument and adjusting LFO 1 Amount, the amount jumps to 100.

Note that I have the PE, so there are no jumpy endless encoders issues.

These problems are only minor and intermittent, so I can easily live with them.  But I was wondering if anyone else has them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:48:54 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

Re: Possible Bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
1) After pressing an oscillator button to single it out, oscillator 1 is detuned one half-step up.

Is that problem something that can be seen on the parameters value or does it only change the pitch of the oscillator without changing the corresponding parameters value?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »
That's a good question and I'll have to look out in the future to get an answer.  Again, the problems are only intermittent, so I haven't pinned down the details.  But I would expect that the "C" is shown to be a "C#".  In other words, the jump is always the same - one half-step up.  It's nothing like the old jumpy encodes problem.  I've experienced plenty of that.

Have you heard of either of these bugs or problems before?  I would presume it's software, rather than hardware, because the instrument otherwise works perfectly, and I never have other problems with those parameters.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:59:20 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
Yeah it sounds like a software problem though pressing one control could affect another control if the state of the hardware is "a bit special".

May I suggest that you write DSI a support message asking if they can confirm these bugs? Hopefully you are using the latest OS versions on your PEK. Which is another important point: include the OS versions you are using in your DSI support request.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
Of course, but I wanted to check here first. 

dslsynth

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
Which is exactly the right thing to do. If only I had a PEK. Maybe some of the other PEK owners will respond here soon? In any case it would be cool to hear what DSI have to say on this. Please quote them!
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »
I'll pass on any information.  Of course, this new forum is the post-Evolver forum, so there's very little Evolver discussion here, and perhaps, few Evolver owners.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 11:10:22 AM »
I have never noticed either of those two problems.

Have you always had them or have they appeared recently?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »
I've had the problems for at least a year, but I'm not certain if the instrument had them when I first bought it.  My first interest is to find out if anyone else has them. 

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 08:44:52 AM »
I have not noticed this either,  but if I had at some point I probably just attributed the behavior to my jumpy encoders.  I replaced one encoder (shape knob) a few years ago, but a few still act up.   PEK is really the only instrument I do this with...but  I almost always use the soundtower editor when making patches, which of course bypasses the encoder issue.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 09:15:32 AM »
One of my PEKs has the problems, but the other doesn't.  They're inconsistent and happen only here and there.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 10:57:32 AM »
Maybe try reinstalling the firmware, that might reset something somewhere.