OB-6 for Bass?

LPF83

OB-6 for Bass?
« on: May 29, 2020, 06:08:30 PM »
I was going to put a click-bait subject like "Is OB-6 good for bass?" but I didn't want to destroy future credibility by asking stupid questions.

This post is more about the OB-6 being a little TOO good at bass.  It is by far the best bass synth (for my needs) I've ever owned -- by that I mean it's always screams to be the go-to synth for laying down a bass sound that completely defines the rest of the mix.   My Rev2 hits sweet spots in pads, strings, polysynth sounds the OB-6 cannot... but it is not even in the same league when it comes to bass sounds.

My dilemma is, 3 grand is a lot for a bass sound.  I'd like to find something that sounds as good as the OB-6 for fat / warm 80's sounding bass, b-movie film sweeps, etc., at a cheaper price point so that I can free my OB-6 up for duties like poly leads that pay it more respect.  Nothing in my soft synth collection (and I have all the good ones) comes close to the bass I get from the obie.

Right now I'm working around by recording the bassline as audio into the DAW to free up the OB-6 for more complex duties.  Pro3 looks like a great monosynth but to get tilt-up controls and wood it's 2-grand.  Rather just get a Prophet-6 or a second OB-6 for a few hundred more at that price point.  One of the two is actually on my budget for late 2021, regardless of the outcome of this discussion.

Would something like a super-cheap BassStation II meet my bass needs?  It's sad to hold the OB-6 down so far below its capability, feels like putting a tiger in a bird cage and asking it to perform, and cries out to play a bigger role.  I'm looking for solid BASS solutions under the $1k price point...

Disclaimer -- I've never seen a Youtube vid that inspired me to buy a Moog.  No offense but that's how I feel... I just don't seem to "feel" the sound...maybe hearing a Sub37 in person would change my mind?  All due to respect to Bob Moog, I actually went to highschool with his kids and knew both Matt and Michelle from class even if I didn't know them well personally...  And for 70's funk I love the Moog sound but for the synthwave/retrowave etc music I want to make today, the Moog bass doesn't really appeal to my ears.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:41:51 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Mr Kay

• The Disease
Re: OB-6 for Bass?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »
The OB6 can make solid basses, but more hard electro ones due to the 12db filter (like the 2 poles mode on your Rev 2).

I can suggest you on your REV 2 to set the filter on the 24db (4 poles mode), set the unison mode and assign 2 or 3 voices, you'll get something beefy (a single voice of a poly synth is quieter than the voice of a mono, otherwise, a chord would be  a mess).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:24:37 AM by Mr Kay »

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:21:52 AM »
If inexpensive is the goal, while I'm not a fan of the company, there's the B. Model D and the B ProOne may fit the bill. Alternatively, there's the Toraiz AS-1 (with a real DSI osc) or the Roland SE-02 (not as warm without some work and/or adding the ExtBox for more $$). The Basstation is another option, yes.

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »
The OB6 can make solid basses, but more hard electro ones due to the 12db filter (like the 2 poles mode on your Rev 2).

I can suggest you on your REV 2 to set the filter on the 24db (4 poles mode), set the unison mode and assign 2 or 3 voices, you'll get something beefy (a single voice of a poly synth is quieter than the voice of a mono, otherwise, a chord would be  a mess).

I do this sometimes now, and the Rev2 can certainly make a good bass, its just a unison bass on the Rev2 doesn't seem to have quite the same impact due to the growl of the SEM filter and the impact it has on harmonics.  For some types of bass the Rev2 is nice because of the ability to split the keyboard (bass on left hand, synth on right). 
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »
If inexpensive is the goal, while I'm not a fan of the company, there's the B. Model D and the B ProOne may fit the bill. Alternatively, there's the Toraiz AS-1 (with a real DSI osc) or the Roland SE-02 (not as warm without some work and/or adding the ExtBox for more $$). The Basstation is another option, yes.

The Toraiz AS-1 looks interesting - I'll spend some time with youtube to see if it has what I'm looking for.  Also not a huge fan of B but maybe their (supposedly) forthcoming OB clone will fit the bill if they get the filter right. 

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 05:19:29 AM »
I do this sometimes now, and the Rev2 can certainly make a good bass, its just a unison bass on the Rev2 doesn't seem to have quite the same impact due to the growl of the SEM filter and the impact it has on harmonics.  For some types of bass the Rev2 is nice because of the ability to split the keyboard (bass on left hand, synth on right).

For more brillance, then set the filter on the 2 poles mode :)

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 05:54:23 AM »
Since my last reply, I looked into the Toraiz AS-1 (basically a Pro-1), and it's an interesting module that will appeal to many, but I don't think it's going to meet my needs -- one voice (even if it's a Prophet voice) just sounds thin compared to what I get out of the OB-6 or a poly in general, and $500 is a lot for a single voice with limited knobs.  At that price point I may be better off with a Minilogue XD.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 12:45:57 AM »
I have a Taurus III and it easily exceeds the OB6 for bass. Though its envelopes are not as fast as
I might like.
A Minitaur can get close, for much less.
I'm looking at a Pro 2 or 3 myself for similar reason.
So I can get away from the unison mode on the OB6!
I don't care enough about tiltup panel, and actually don't like wood grain on synths.
Might 3D print up end cheeks for the wood ones I do have.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 07:57:30 AM »
I have a Taurus III and it easily exceeds the OB6 for bass. Though its envelopes are not as fast as
I might like.
A Minitaur can get close, for much less.
I'm looking at a Pro 2 or 3 myself for similar reason.
So I can get away from the unison mode on the OB6!
I don't care enough about tiltup panel, and actually don't like wood grain on synths.
Might 3D print up end cheeks for the wood ones I do have.

Much has happened since my prior post in this thread.  I did get a MinilogueXDm which I adore, but definitely not for bass.  Also got a Prophet 6, which is better than OB6 for most types of bass sounds.  And, I intend to get a P5/P10 Rev4 which also has P6-like bass capabilities, but I probably won't use it for that, but it will let me do things I would otherwise wish my P6 was free for, while it is playing bass duty.

Yes I know some would say why not just bounce the bass tracks from the P6 then use a different patch for something else, and that's one possible approach and workflow, but I also find it limiting, and prefer to have real-time control of the synth sound at all times during the initial writing process.

In another thread I saw someone ask for a proper Pro One reissue from Dave.... I'd love to see this personally.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:07:15 AM by LPF83 »

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 05:49:41 PM »
Whilst nothing beats a vintage Minimoog D for bass duty, the OB6 can more than hold its own against the venerable king for such use.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340