Oberheim Two Voice Pro

Re: Oberheim Two Voice Pro
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2021, 04:57:21 AM »
We'll set up a US post office box for you.

LOL IF they get made

LPF83

« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2021, 05:31:47 AM »

LOL IF they get made

There are a lot of supply chain problems right now, not just in music hardware.  Under normal circumstances I would say having way more demand than you can possibly fill orders is a good problem to have, but in this case it's really not.  Hopefully things start balancing out over the next few months.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2021, 09:01:53 AM »

LOL IF they get made

There are a lot of supply chain problems right now, not just in music hardware.  Under normal circumstances I would say having way more demand than you can possibly fill orders is a good problem to have, but in this case it's really not.  Hopefully things start balancing out over the next few months.

I do hope Tom gets his shit together but at this point I don't even see this going past run and a raffle. I have zero faith in his current operation. As it stands now you have to submit your name to a raffle and if you are selected you have to pay $5000 for a product sight unseen. That sounds incredibly scummy to me.

LPF83

« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2021, 04:11:07 PM »

LOL IF they get made

I do hope Tom gets his shit together but at this point I don't even see this going past run and a raffle. I have zero faith in his current operation. As it stands now you have to submit your name to a raffle and if you are selected you have to pay $5000 for a product sight unseen. That sounds incredibly scummy to me.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if he sold all his designs to Focusrite and let them produce.  I suspect Tom, like Dave is an engineer at heart and doesn't enjoy all of the other aspects of business ownership.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2021, 04:48:35 PM »

LOL IF they get made

It wouldn't be a bad thing if he sold all his designs to Focusrite and let them produce.  I suspect Tom, like Dave is an engineer at heart and doesn't enjoy all of the other aspects of business ownership.

I'd be 100% behind that because at this rate, Tom is producing vaporware.

jg666

« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2021, 05:39:47 AM »
I thought you might be interested in this video !!!

https://youtu.be/iKeA8aBELk0
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2021, 05:47:14 AM »
Slightly painful to watch because they're sold out already.  Otherwise a great presentation by Julian.

jg666

« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2021, 05:55:29 AM »
Slightly painful to watch because they're sold out already.  Otherwise a great presentation by Julian.

Indeed, great to watch but sad that the majority of us won’t be able to buy one.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2021, 07:33:02 AM »
Mmmm.  Love that PWM, as well as the wooden end cheeks.

« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2021, 05:28:52 AM »
Mmmm.  Love that PWM, as well as the wooden end cheeks.

I actually prefer the classic black end cheeks to be honest. The light wood ones kind of put me off.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2021, 11:11:08 AM »
My whole sound design philosophy is reflected in this instrument: two parallel modules that are panned by a parameter and controlled by one keyboard.  It could have seamlessly slipped right into my set up.  Ah well, for YouTube superstars only.  It's a shame we plebeians couldn't obtain even a module or two.  I do wish Sequential could take over Oberheim production.

I know it's not the same, but if you really like that Oberheim sound, doesn't it make sense to go for an OB-6? 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:03:50 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2021, 01:38:44 PM »
My whole sound design philosophy is reflected in this instrument: two parallel modules that are panned by a parameter and controlled by one keyboard.  It could have seamlessly slipped right into my set up.  Ah well, for YouTube superstars only.  It's a shame we plebeians couldn't obtain even a module or two.  I do wish Sequential could take over Oberheim production.

I know it's not the same, but if you really like that Oberheim sound, doesn't it make sense to go for an OB-6?

Per Tom's site

"Despite there being no formal announcement, hundreds of musicians inquired on this website as to how they could purchase one. The demand was much higher than the small number of units that Tom was able to build, so people were selected at random from the inquiries in order to buy one. In just one day all the built units were spoken for, which unfortunately left many people disappointed. Tom is exploring if more parts can be secured and production started again, but it is not yet known if that will be possible."

« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »

I actually entered the contest too. I got a U.S. Postal box and everything in order for them to ship it.

As far as the OB6 goes it really depends on what you define as the "Oberheim Sound". For me, I'm a soundtrack guy and there really wasn't a lot of Oberheim poly synths used on soundtracks believe it or not. If there was, it was usually always accompanied by a Prophet or something else. In general the Oberheim Four Voice was almost always used. 4 distinctive SEMs each with their own patch. I doubt Tom will ever get his Son Of Four Voice module off of the ground, the Two Voice Pro is about as close as it'll get for me for that "Oberheim Sound" but then even the Two Voice Pro is apparently out of reach.

SEM Pro modules are now selling for $3K on Reverb.

I sold mine for $1400...darn.

LPF83

« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2021, 05:09:08 AM »

I actually entered the contest too. I got a U.S. Postal box and everything in order for them to ship it.

As far as the OB6 goes it really depends on what you define as the "Oberheim Sound". For me, I'm a soundtrack guy and there really wasn't a lot of Oberheim poly synths used on soundtracks believe it or not. If there was, it was usually always accompanied by a Prophet or something else. In general the Oberheim Four Voice was almost always used. 4 distinctive SEMs each with their own patch. I doubt Tom will ever get his Son Of Four Voice module off of the ground, the Two Voice Pro is about as close as it'll get for me for that "Oberheim Sound" but then even the Two Voice Pro is apparently out of reach.

A somewhat cost effective solution might be two OB-6 desktop units.  You can find used ones at reasonable prices... the sued supply will probably go up if Dave announces an OBX like many are hoping.  They can be polychained as well.
Just run them in unison mode set to one voice each... you definitely get the SEM sound, and the recent vintage knob functionality makes it even better.

« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2021, 08:21:44 AM »

A somewhat cost effective solution might be two OB-6 desktop units.  You can find used ones at reasonable prices... the sued supply will probably go up if Dave announces an OBX like many are hoping.  They can be polychained as well.
Just run them in unison mode set to one voice each... you definitely get the SEM sound, and the recent vintage knob functionality makes it even better.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of the OB6 because there's too much crossover with the P6.

LPF83

« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2021, 05:41:11 PM »
To be honest I'm not a huge fan of the OB6 because there's too much crossover with the P6.

Functionally they are very similar, tonally there is probably more overlap with other Oberheim synths than their is the P6 due to the filter.  For me, having multiple synths that work similarly is a plus, as it speeds my workflow.  But I realize fast workflow isn't necessarily everyone's goal.

« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2021, 06:17:38 PM »

Functionally they are very similar, tonally there is probably more overlap with other Oberheim synths than their is the P6 due to the filter.  For me, having multiple synths that work similarly is a plus, as it speeds my workflow.  But I realize fast workflow isn't necessarily everyone's goal.

The whims of preference being what they are, I've never been so drawn to Oberheim synths. I do love the sound, but who knows why I've never needed to own one. The OB6, though, is the one most tempting. It does have that recognizable Oberheim sound/vibe - certainly enough of it to please my heathen ears and it looks good. Best of two worlds.

LPF83

« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2021, 04:28:26 AM »

The whims of preference being what they are, I've never been so drawn to Oberheim synths. I do love the sound, but who knows why I've never needed to own one. The OB6, though, is the one most tempting. It does have that recognizable Oberheim sound/vibe - certainly enough of it to please my heathen ears and it looks good. Best of two worlds.

Its been said that back in the 70s/80s there was polarization in the Prophet vs Oberheim camps.  The cost of entry back then was so high that most people could afford one or the other and not both, so they made a choice based on cursory preference and then leaned that way.  These days I like that I can get the SEM sound in an affordable (relative to the old days) synth with a nice keybed and relatively compact form factor, and its a bonus to me that functionally it works like a Prophet6 and has all the same features (even simple things like how sequencer notes are rested/tied, or the interface for FX... its nice to have consistency between the two).   That said, if Dave comes out with an OBX reissue, and if it is to the OB-6 what the P5/10 rev4 is to the P6, then I would be interested in a desktop module version of it (which I assume would be imminent).

The reason I think Lobo would enjoy an OB-6 is because of his interest in retro horror soundtracks.  The OB-6 has this "demon in a box" quality that is very distinct from the smooth musicality of the prophets, and if I were going to sit down to do an original horror film track right now, I would probably reach for my OB-6 and Hydrasynth first, just for their ability to quickly take you to the dark side (albeit each of them in very different ways).  My Prophet 10 could also take the lead on that project with the rev 1/2 filter enabled and some vintage knobbery, but in a very different way than the OB-6.

« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2021, 05:04:46 AM »

Its been said that back in the 70s/80s there was polarization in the Prophet vs Oberheim camps.  The cost of entry back then was so high that most people could afford one or the other and not both, so they made a choice based on cursory preference and then leaned that way.  These days I like that I can get the SEM sound in an affordable (relative to the old days) synth with a nice keybed and relatively compact form factor, and its a bonus to me that functionally it works like a Prophet6 and has all the same features (even simple things like how sequencer notes are rested/tied, or the interface for FX... its nice to have consistency between the two).   That said, if Dave comes out with an OBX reissue, and if it is to the OB-6 what the P5/10 rev4 is to the P6, then I would be interested in a desktop module version of it (which I assume would be imminent).

The reason I think Lobo would enjoy an OB-6 is because of his interest in retro horror soundtracks.  The OB-6 has this "demon in a box" quality that is very distinct from the smooth musicality of the prophets, and if I were going to sit down to do an original horror film track right now, I would probably reach for my OB-6 and Hydrasynth first, just for their ability to quickly take you to the dark side (albeit each of them in very different ways).  My Prophet 10 could also take the lead on that project with the rev 1/2 filter enabled and some vintage knobbery, but in a very different way than the OB-6.

Except, as I've stated, most soundtracks didn't use a polyphonic Oberheim like an OBX or OBXa. It was almost always a SEM Four Voice. Any soundtracks that used an OBXa almost always had a Prophet next to them or were part of a larger synth ensemble.

LPF83

« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2021, 05:13:52 AM »
Except, as I've stated, most soundtracks didn't use a polyphonic Oberheim like an OBX or OBXa. It was almost always a SEM Four Voice. Any soundtracks that used an OBXa almost always had a Prophet next to them or were part of a larger synth ensemble.

And that's why I said "if I were going to sit down to do an original horror film track" (as opposed to strictly authentic covers of existing tracks).  It's a statement about the OB-6's ability to sound dark and grisly.  Even still, of the synths readily available on the market, in unison mode it is probably one of the better options available for emulating other Oberheim monosynths.