Oberheim Two Voice Pro

Re: Oberheim Two Voice Pro
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2021, 08:13:33 AM »
Here we go again...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »
This instrument is destined to belong only to the privileged few.  If it means that much to you, I'd still give it a try and sign up, regardless of the uncertainty. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:20:24 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »
This instrument is destined to belong only to the privileged few.  If it means that much to you, I'd still give it a try and sign up, regardless of the uncertainty.

There are apparently a lot of part sourcing issues these days, across a wide variety of industries.  Five grand for a TVS Pro is a bit out there though... could get a P10 + a Strymon pedal for that.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2021, 09:48:54 AM »

There are apparently a lot of part sourcing issues these days, across a wide variety of industries.  Five grand for a TVS Pro is a bit out there though... could get a P10 + a Strymon pedal for that.

I agree.  $5,000 for a duophonic synthesizer with a three-octave keyboard?  As exceptional as the instrument is, still.  Wasn't it $3,000 last time around?

« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2021, 09:57:47 AM »

It's not so much the price. It's again a case of putting the cart before the horse and prematurely announcing things when there's nothing concrete. There's no definitive price or concrete time frame and now they are advising that they might not be able to make enough because they didn't expect this many people to submit requests to them.

Sorry but I've been down this road before with Tom. I will give them credit though, at least they are warning people it's going to be a headache ahead of time as opposed to after people have given them money and placed orders.

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »

I agree.  $5,000 for a duophonic synthesizer with a three-octave keyboard?  As exceptional as the instrument is, still.  Wasn't it $3,000 last time around?

$3500 roughly.

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2021, 10:05:18 AM »

At least this time Tom is letting people know they are going to be experiencing a very expensive headache ahead of time and not after they placed the order.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »

It's not so much the price. It's again a case of putting the cart before the horse and prematurely announcing things when there's nothing concrete. There's no definitive price or concrete time frame and now they are advising that they might not be able to make enough because they didn't expect this many people to submit requests to them.

Sorry but I've been down this road before with Tom. I will give them credit though, at least they are warning people it's going to be a headache ahead of time as opposed to after people have given them money and placed orders.

You were once crazy for this synthesizer.  If you still are, why not give Oberheim your name and then forget about it.  Maybe you'll hear from them again, or maybe you won't.

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2021, 10:32:30 AM »

You were once crazy for this synthesizer.  If you still are, why not give Oberheim your name and then forget about it.  Maybe you'll hear from them again, or maybe you won't.

I already contacted him. Doubt I'll get anything out of it. lol  Honestly with this amount of money involved (about $7K Canadian), I'm not really impressed with "could be" "Maybe" "Possibly" "not sure" coming from a registered business when it comes to pre ordering a product. When I ordered my S2400 from ISLA on a pre order there wasn't any uncertainty.

Look I get it, Tom is over 80 but seriously either shit or get off the pot. It just seems to be a constant reoccurring theme of announcing stuff and then turning around and going "I dunno" "maybe" "Possibly" "Could be" or sometimes nothing at all. SonOf4Voice, Eurorack stuff. All just words and prototypes. Like there is a reason that distributors here dropped him and refused to deal with him because of countless orders that were unfulfilled. I had hopes that he would have surrounded himself with people that would have helped improve his business but it's not looking that way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:42:22 AM by LoboLives »

jg666

« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »
I would never pay out for something that still hasn’t been made without knowing the exact promised specifications and what it would sound like. Even then, I wouldn’t pledge that amount of money for what is now still on the drawing board.

As has been pointed out above, there’s lots of great sounding synths that already exist that you can spend your money on.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2021, 11:37:01 AM »
I agree.  Don't put a dime down on a possibility.  I'm only suggesting being on the waiting list, if that is possible without a large down payment.

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2021, 11:39:08 AM »
I agree.  Don't put a dime down on a possibility.  I'm only suggesting being on the waiting list, if that is possible without a large down payment.

I messaged him multiple times thus far and their facebook page keeps telling me to email Tom. No response yet
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:51:24 AM by LoboLives »

jg666

« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2021, 12:07:29 PM »

Yes, that’s the only way I’d consider something like this :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LPF83

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2021, 01:46:02 PM »

I already contacted him. Doubt I'll get anything out of it. lol  Honestly with this amount of money involved (about $7K Canadian), I'm not really impressed with "could be" "Maybe" "Possibly" "not sure" coming from a registered business when it comes to pre ordering a product. When I ordered my S2400 from ISLA on a pre order there wasn't any uncertainty.

Look I get it, Tom is over 80 but seriously either shit or get off the pot. It just seems to be a constant reoccurring theme of announcing stuff and then turning around and going "I dunno" "maybe" "Possibly" "Could be" or sometimes nothing at all. SonOf4Voice, Eurorack stuff. All just words and prototypes. Like there is a reason that distributors here dropped him and refused to deal with him because of countless orders that were unfulfilled. I had hopes that he would have surrounded himself with people that would have helped improve his business but it's not looking that way.

There could actually be a very good reason for this.  From what I have been told, trademarks are a use it or lose it affair... meaning that if you own a trademark, and you want to maintain exclusive rights to it, you need to demonstrate a reasonable effort to use and defend it.   Disclaimer:  I am not an attorney and I'm literally parroting back something that I heard an attorney say in a casual meeting, so my interpretation of what he meant may not be 100%.  But according to him you cannot just trademark a name and sit on it.... it's use it or lose it.

So it may not be a coincidence that this announcement, along with a tangible intention to produce and sell the instrument, came along around the same time Uli is groping for the name.  It could also help explain why the production plan involves a limited number and isn't exactly priced to fly off the shelves. 
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2021, 02:48:42 PM »

There could actually be a very good reason for this.  From what I have been told, trademarks are a use it or lose it affair... meaning that if you own a trademark, and you want to maintain exclusive rights to it, you need to demonstrate a reasonable effort to use and defend it.   Disclaimer:  I am not an attorney and I'm literally parroting back something that I heard an attorney say in a casual meeting, so my interpretation of what he meant may not be 100%.  But according to him you cannot just trademark a name and sit on it.... it's use it or lose it.

So it may not be a coincidence that this announcement, along with a tangible intention to produce and sell the instrument, came along around the same time Uli is groping for the name.  It could also help explain why the production plan involves a limited number and isn't exactly priced to fly off the shelves.

Remember when this whole Uli vs Tom fiasco was happening, I even said "What is the point of Tom having the trademark if nothing comes of it?" Well I guess if he sells one unit then he proves me wrong but from the correspondence people are getting (or lack thereof in some cases) it sounds like even that is a stretch. "Maybe" "Possibly" "Could be"....hell, Tom sounds like Behringer at that point. Just ask Dave for help or ask for a limited partnership with Moog to make these units for you and be done with it. A $5000 pre order for a "maybe" "Could be" "Possibly" "I don't know" product with no evidence or timeline of it's completion is pathetic. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2021, 04:39:54 PM »
That's what I've been thinking.  This would be a good occasion for producing a Dave Smith/Tom Oberheim collaborative synthesizer #2.  Perhaps that would help in dropping the price a bit.  But Tom is seemingly trying to reclaim the Oberheim brand.  I could easily imagine the two of them having a back room meeting about B and concluding that they had both better bring out their iconic instruments before someone else does.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:03:30 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2021, 07:21:03 PM »
If Tom was in a rush to get a product out with his brand on it this would have been a better move....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_O7TTQmCRs

« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2021, 04:24:03 PM »
What an absolute joke.

"Dear Everett,
Thank you again for your interest in the Oberheim TVS-Pro Special Edition. We are nearing completion of the first select run of units, and the number of people interested in purchasing far exceeds our supply. We think that the fairest approach will be to randomly select from those that are still interested. For our customers living outside of the U.S., we regret to inform you that we will not be able to ship any of this first run of units internationally."

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2021, 07:32:29 PM »
We'll set up a US post office box for you.