Oberheim Two Voice Pro

RobH

Re: Oberheim Two Voice Pro
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2017, 04:12:18 AM »
Man a TVP is my actual dream. I can't afford one at all its like that thing that you know your probably never going to have lmao!

LoboLives

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2017, 04:54:25 AM »
Man a TVP is my actual dream. I can't afford one at all its like that thing that you know your probably never going to have lmao!

You know originally I was going to get two ARP Odyssey modules and an Engine sequencer to drive them but I decided...you know what, I'm going to save and yeah it'll cost me (About $5000 Canadian for me) but I think Tom is up there in years and once he's gone, his genius will go with him. Years from now almost everyone will have an Korg/ARP Odyssey but very few will have a Two Voice Pro. Hell, few have a Two Voice Pro now. Barely any demos online or in depth reviews of the thing. There's a few annoyances in regards to the sequencer (muting steps on the fly is a bit convoluted) but there's really nothing else like this thing on the market. The sequencer alone blows away any on board sequencer in an analog synth on the market (Including the Matrixbrute!). There's so much capability with the thing, the price is sort of justified.

RobH

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »

You know originally I was going to get two ARP Odyssey modules and an Engine sequencer to drive them but I decided...you know what, I'm going to save and yeah it'll cost me (About $5000 Canadian for me) but I think Tom is up there in years and once he's gone, his genius will go with him. Years from now almost everyone will have an Korg/ARP Odyssey but very few will have a Two Voice Pro. Hell, few have a Two Voice Pro now. Barely any demos online or in depth reviews of the thing. There's a few annoyances in regards to the sequencer (muting steps on the fly is a bit convoluted) but there's really nothing else like this thing on the market. The sequencer alone blows away any on board sequencer in an analog synth on the market (Including the Matrixbrute!). There's so much capability with the thing, the price is sort of justified.

Yes I agree they will hold value and status such as the rarity they are and will remain with the cost barrier keeping most away from the instrument. It will remain on my wishlist though, the patchbay writes it into a instrument that will never leave my brain as "MOST WANTED"!!! Maybe one day when I've written that hit i'm always trying to write lmao!!!!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »
Years from now almost everyone will have an Korg/ARP Odyssey but very few will have a Two Voice Pro. Hell, few have a Two Voice Pro now. Barely any demos online or in depth reviews of the thing.

I'd say one reason is the price of the Two-Voice Pro, considering the small keyboard it provides.  Even another half-of-an-octave would greatly improve it.  It's fine if you're primarily going to use the sequencer, as well as make sounds and effects.  But purely as a keyboard musical instrument, the three octave length is a significant shortcoming.  Otherwise, I'd be saving up for one too!

LoboLives

« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »
Years from now almost everyone will have an Korg/ARP Odyssey but very few will have a Two Voice Pro. Hell, few have a Two Voice Pro now. Barely any demos online or in depth reviews of the thing.

I'd say one reason is the price of the Two-Voice Pro, considering the small keyboard it provides.  Even another half-of-an-octave would greatly improve it.  It's fine if you're primarily going to use the sequencer, as well as make sounds and effects.  But purely as a keyboard musical instrument, the three octave length is a significant shortcoming.  Otherwise, I'd be saving up for one too!

Naw if hundreds can make it work on Minimoogs and Sub 37s it's not too big a deal. I think it's just the fact there's no presents and it seems daunting to program at first glance.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
It's a combination of price and keyboard.  Yes, there are other factors, but these two count.

The Minimoog has that extra lower half-octave, while the Sub 37 is half the price of the Two-Voice Pro.  So, they both have their advantages over the Oberheim.  But I would say the Oberheim is superior in many other ways to the Minimoog, except for the keyboard.  For this latter reason alone, I would rather spend my $3,000 on the Moog.  Even just a few keys makes that much of a difference.  I'm sure many other musicians would agree.  What good is a superb synthesizer if you keep running out of keys?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:48:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2017, 02:49:09 AM »
It's a combination of price and keyboard.  Yes, there are other factors, but these two count.

The Minimoog has that extra lower half-octave, while the Sub 37 is half the price of the Two-Voice Pro.  So, they both have their advantages over the Oberheim.  But I would say the Oberheim is superior in many other ways to the Minimoog, except for the keyboard.  For this latter reason alone, I would rather spend my $3,000 on the Moog.  Even just a few keys makes that much of a difference.  I'm sure many other musicians would agree.  What good is a superb synthesizer if you keep running out of keys?

That depends on how you are using said synth. If you need more keys, it's MIDI 101.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2017, 06:38:47 AM »
All under the hood - remember?

LoboLives

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »
All under the hood - remember?

I know I know. Still, sometimes I feel limitations force you to become more creative. Just got to work around things.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »
Oh, I certainly agree with you on that!  But I personally wouldn't want the limitations to be placed - of all places - on the most musical part of an instrument - the keyboard.

LoboLives

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
Oh, I certainly agree with you on that!  But I personally wouldn't want the limitations to be placed - of all places - on the most musical part of an instrument - the keyboard.

Yeah I can understand that. I mean for me I would have each synth just do it's own thing and do the thing it's best at. Not really going to be using my Moog or Oberheim for pads. Just sequences, drones, stingers and bass notes and maybe a lead once in a while but generally it's just going to be background stuff while the P6 does most of the work but like you said it's just depends on what you want to do and personal preferences. :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »
That makes perfect sense now.  I get it. 

I realize that Tom wanted to produce a nearly identical re-issue of his old favorite synthesizer, the Two Voice.  But since we've been critical of the re-issue trend, I'll say that I wish the instrument were the same as the original, except that it had a four-octave keyboard.  Now that would have been a behemoth of a mono synth that I could appreciate.  That's why some of us are, over and over again, left wringing our hands with frustration.  Synthesizers are so seldom outfitted with the essentials required for making large scale musical pieces.  Instead, we have to patch together a bit of this and a bit of that.  So, I'm imaging something like a Prophet-6 with two SEM or Odyssey Modules.  It's great that such combinations are now possible, but it would be much easier, again, if we could have it all under the hood.  In a word, ARP 2600.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:18:41 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:22 AM »

I realize that Tom wanted to produce a nearly identical re-issue of his old favorite synthesizer, the Two Voice.  But since we've been critical of the re-issue trend, I'll say that I wish the instrument were the same as the original, except that it had a four-octave keyboard.  Now that would have been a behemoth of a mono synth that I could appreciate.  That's why some of us are, over and over again, left wringing our hands with frustration.  Synthesizers are so seldom outfitted with the essentials required for making large scale musical pieces.  Instead, we have to patch together a bit of this and a bit of that.  So, I'm imaging something like a Prophet-6 with two SEM or Odyssey Modules.  It's great that such combinations are now possible, but it would be much easier, again, if we could have it all under the hood.  In a word, ARP 2600.

Yeah, at that point you may as well get a modular and two controllers.

Also the Two Voice Pro is an improvement on the original...I mean the sequencer alone....the only thing I wish is if could add more polyphony but chaining more SEM's to it.

« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2017, 05:42:19 AM »

Also the Two Voice Pro is an improvement on the original...I mean the sequencer alone....the only thing I wish is if could add more polyphony but chaining more SEM's to it.

That is a common request–for now, the OB-6 is about as close as you can get to that (except for the notion of multitimbrality on the same keyboard/MIDI channel, which is the trick that defines the sound of those older Four- and Eight-Voice units).

If it doesn't happen in Tom's lifetime (long may you run!), then it will happen as a third-party software update. If I had the bandwidth at the moment, I'd do it myself....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2017, 06:08:15 AM »

That is a common request–for now, the OB-6 is about as close as you can get to that (except for the notion of multitimbrality on the same keyboard/MIDI channel, which is the trick that defines the sound of those older Four- and Eight-Voice units).

If it doesn't happen in Tom's lifetime (long may you run!), then it will happen as a third-party software update. If I had the bandwidth at the moment, I'd do it myself....

Mmmmm Two SEMs being sequenced while the other two being played over top.....mmmmmmmm so good.

I think another thing is I wish the sequencer had ties and rest on it as opposed to adding them afterwards with the gate length.

« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »
Just received my black one and it looks gorgeous... really happy.

I think however that I'm running older firmware for both keyboard and sequencer, is there a way to check? 

Transposing the keyboard is fine when on midi channel 1.  However, moving to midi channel 2 only SEM A will transpose... This cant be normal?  Also how does one set the midi base channel pls?

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:06:11 PM by nikarga »

chysn

« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2017, 03:02:41 AM »
Plus that I am really waiting for eurorack preset/modulation managers before jumping into that side of the fun (and not a word about the financial side of things).

The preset manager that you've long been awaiting has arrived! The Intellijel Tetrapad has a "voltage mode" that allows storage and recall of eight sets of eight voltages. You can even slew between these presets for morphing effects. It's not like Buchla's preset system, but is about as close as eurorack is likely to get.

https://intellijel.com/downloads/manuals/Tetrapad%20Manual%202017.11.14.pdf
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2021, 02:12:37 AM »
Looks like the Two Voice Pro will return later this year as a Special Edition:

More infos on Tom Oberheim's overhauled site: https://www.tomoberheim.com/products

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2021, 04:58:36 AM »
Second time the charm?

« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »
"Pre orders open now"

"More information on pricing and delivery schedule to be announced later this year."

and a few hours later they removed the "pre orders open now"

I've sent Tom a message inquiring about a pre order but maybe the cart was put before the horse....again.