Oberheim Two Voice Pro

LoboLives

Re: Oberheim Two Voice Pro
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »
Yes, I'd agree.  The Two-Voice Pro is a very attractive instrument, isn't it Paul?  Ahem. ;)

It definitely is. And it hurts to be in a country right now where it costs 3,999€, which is the equivalent to about $4352. It will remain on my list, even though it'll take some discipline to save up for it.

You have to admit that you like it too. And I seriously think this could be your dream mono synth.

It costs me about $5100 right now in Canada. It's still on my to get list next though. I think the sequencer is what sells it for me plus the sound of course lol.

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2016, 01:47:56 AM »
Having watched some video demos of vintager Oberheim synths , I wonder whether that "Oberheim sound" actually requires a decent number of polyphonic voices.

LoboLives

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2016, 03:10:54 AM »
Having watched some video demos of vintager Oberheim synths , I wonder whether that "Oberheim sound" actually requires a decent number of polyphonic voices.

I wonder if too many voices is detrimental to that "Oberheim sound". I found that having less voices seems to be a more focused sound and too many sounds too massive and noisy. I remember playing the Alesis Andromeda...I have to set it up in a way where it's only Eight voices because 16 is just too much...it just becomes a mess after a while. Especially if they are all detuned.

If you really need more voices you can attach more SEM modules and just tune them accordingly. Won't change the polyphony but it'll add to the sound for sure.

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2016, 04:45:15 AM »

The question is what actually defines the Oberheim sound for you. If you go for the classic SEM sound, the YouTube list you've posted doesn't feature any of that with the exception of the OB-6, which is compared to the OB-Xa in one video although it doesn't make any sense other than comparing the number of blue stripes, since the OB-6 has no historical predecessor. It utilizes the resurrected SEM oscillators and filter in conjunction with the basic architecture of the Prophet-6 that in turn received an expanded modulation section due to the filter specific options. But the OB-Xa utilized curtis filters for example, which actually makes the Prophet '08 closer to it in that regard rather than the OB-6.

In general, none of the polyphonic Oberheims featured the classic SEM multimode filter. Neither the OB-X, nor the OB-Xa, OB-8, or the Matrix 12, although the latter's filter comes closest in terms of flexibility.

On the other hand, combining a couple of SEM modules will not resemble the OB-6 either. Like LoboLives mentioned, you'd end up with a huge sound, basically that of the Four and Eight Voice. That's also why a Two Voice Pro still sounds different from an OB-6, whether you play it monophonically, duophonically, or with voices that are hard-panned to the left and the right, because you get twice the amount of articulation, which eventually makes it sound much bigger.

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2016, 06:11:37 AM »
Interesting. A single SEM module is very similar in concept to a Moog Mother 32.

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2016, 08:46:35 AM »
Interesting. A single SEM module is very similar in concept to a Moog Mother 32.
The SEM was originally intended to complement a Minimoog or Arp synthesizer voice, and ended up becoming the basic building block for a two-oscillator-per-voice Oberheim polyphonic synthesizer. We may very well see a Eurorack version next year, though the SEM form factor is IMHO iconic in and of itself.

The Mother-32, minus the sequencer, is a Eurorack-form factor distillation of the Moog synthesizer voice into its (nearly) smallest component.

Honestly, I hadn't even considered the idea of pairing up a Mother-32 and a SEM (with patch points), which might very well be interesting and complementary. For what it's worth, initial impressions of the SEM and Pro-2 combination (both as conjoined voices as well as separate parts of the same sequence) are pretty amazing - samples to follow....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2016, 09:15:41 AM »
Thx for the background :-) So the SEM was intended to be layered on top of a Moog, or modulate its sound via external input/patch points? In what way was it supposed to "expand"?

« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »
Thx for the background :-) So the SEM was intended to be layered on top of a Moog, or modulate its sound via external input/patch points? In what way was it supposed to "expand"?

Well, the original SEM didn't have the numerous patch points, but you could modify them. SEM just stands for Synthesizer Expander Module. Hence the goal was to use it for pretty much anything in case you'd be running out of synthesizer voices, if - for example - you were using your Minimoog for sequenced patterns already, and needed another voice beyond that. That was basically the original business model: Running out of voices? - Buy an SEM.

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2016, 02:37:20 AM »
I got mine two weeks ago. Takes me back to 1977 lovely and its in Black

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
So, are you able to input sequencer notes via the keyboard? Just trying to find out if the newer TVP's comes with the updated firmware.

LoboLives

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2017, 04:02:37 AM »
So, are you able to input sequencer notes via the keyboard? Just trying to find out if the newer TVP's comes with the updated firmware.

I'd like to know this as well. Also is there a way to add rests/ties manually (like on the Moog Sub 37) as opposed to having to edit the sequence afterwards.

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2017, 09:19:58 PM »
I'm also curious to know. Are the OS updates being released and issues addressed/answered? I know Tom was busy with NAMM.

LoboLives

« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »
I have a question in regards to midi. If I wanted to control the TVP from an external synth (mostly to transpose the sequence) and I also wanted for it to have it's clock synced to the Tempest, how can I do that with only one MIDI in?

LoboLives

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2017, 03:36:13 AM »
Bump! Any word on the new Firmware?

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2017, 03:51:35 AM »
Did you try to get in touch with Tom in person?

LoboLives

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »

I've e-mailed them a few times but haven't heard anything back. I wanted to know if there is a way to manually rest/tie notes while programming a sequence (much like the Sub 37) as opposed to having to "edit" the sequence afterwards. No response for a while now which is why I bumped this.

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »

I've e-mailed them a few times but haven't heard anything back. I wanted to know if there is a way to manually rest/tie notes while programming a sequence (much like the Sub 37) as opposed to having to "edit" the sequence afterwards. No response for a while now which is why I bumped this.

Hm, I see. Unfortunately, I can't help a lot, as I'm only a TVS Pro admirer, no owner.

There's a thread on GS, which you may know about: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/937012-any-oberheim-two-voice-pros-wild-yet.html

Maybe you can get in touch with some of the users that posted in that thread. There also seems to be a bit of confusion about what is supposed to be the latest firmware.

LoboLives

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »

Hm, I see. Unfortunately, I can't help a lot, as I'm only a TVS Pro admirer, no owner.

There's a thread on GS, which you may know about: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/937012-any-oberheim-two-voice-pros-wild-yet.html

Maybe you can get in touch with some of the users that posted in that thread. There also seems to be a bit of confusion about what is supposed to be the latest firmware.

Thanks! I'll give it a look.

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2017, 02:38:44 AM »
Tom sent me the up-dated files last week so I've just up-dated mine from 1.4 to 2.3 on Midi and 2.8 on Sequencer - and yes you can in-put notes from the keyboard now to the sequencer which makes a big difference.

Just a couple sounds from the TVS I am trying out

https://soundcloud.com/paultp12/take-a-breath-when-looking-back

https://soundcloud.com/paultp12/tvs-pro-test

LoboLives

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
Tom sent me the up-dated files last week so I've just up-dated mine from 1.4 to 2.3 on Midi and 2.8 on Sequencer - and yes you can in-put notes from the keyboard now to the sequencer which makes a big difference.

Just a couple sounds from the TVS I am trying out

https://soundcloud.com/paultp12/take-a-breath-when-looking-back

https://soundcloud.com/paultp12/tvs-pro-test

Can you add rests and ties while entering the sequence like on the a Sub 37?