Oberheim Two Voice Pro

Re: Oberheim Two Voice Pro
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
Yes, I'd agree.  The Two-Voice Pro is a very attractive instrument, isn't it Paul?  Ahem. ;)

It definitely is. And it hurts to be in a country right now where it costs 3,999€, which is the equivalent to about $4352. It will remain on my list, even though it'll take some discipline to save up for it.

You have to admit that you like it too. And I seriously think this could be your dream mono synth.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:07:02 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2016, 05:05:52 PM »
This one is quite impressive too:

A multi-tracked demo from the same user. Only TVS Pro sounds.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
Yes, I'd agree.  The Two-Voice Pro is a very attractive instrument, isn't it Paul?  Ahem. ;)

It definitely is. And it hurts to be in a country right now where it costs 3,999€, which is the equivalent to about $4352. It will remain on my list, even though it'll take some discipline to save up for it.

You have to admit that you like it too. And I seriously think this could be your dream mono synth.

Oh, absolutely.  I'd like to have one right now.  It doesn't check all the boxes, but it checks enough.  It was so smart of Tom to add that vibrato LFO to the left of the keyboard.  That pushes it over the top for me, and it's a prime reason I hesitate to emulate the instrument with two individual SEMs.  But even at the US price, the closest I expect to come to a Two-Voice Pro is a good YouTube demo!

When ya coming back?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:54:06 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2016, 08:28:37 PM »
This one is quite impressive too:

A multi-tracked demo from the same user. Only TVS Pro sounds.

Yes, that's full of wonderful analog sounds.  And I can understand how it could draw one into the modular world.  That guy has a fine little set up that I'd be thrilled to have in my music room.  Ah well.  Here's to dreaming.

I think Katsunori's demo also offered a decent (though limited) sonic glimpse into the superb tone of the TVP, including the panning capability.  Such a classic sound - and I don't mean that nostalgically.  It just embodies so many of the strengths of analog sound.  Plus, where else can you find an analog keyboard mono/duo synth with four VCOs?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:57:21 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2016, 03:50:01 AM »
Oh, absolutely.  I'd like to have one right now.  It doesn't check all the boxes, but it checks enough.  It was so smart of Tom to add that vibrato LFO to the left of the keyboard.  That pushes it over the top for me, and it's a prime reason I hesitate to emulate the instrument with two individual SEMs.  But even at the US price, the closest I expect to come to a Two-Voice Pro is a good YouTube demo!

When ya coming back?

Whether or if I'll be coming back is a bit in the open. But I'd rather send you a PM than pushing this completely OT.  ;)

The only advantage I see in 2 individual SEMs for you would be that you could use one for bass and another one for lead duties if you'd like to do so. But then you prefer to play at least the lead sounds in true stereo, so that added flexibility might not really be that persuasive.

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2016, 04:33:39 AM »
Such a classic sound - and I don't mean that nostalgically.  It just embodies so many of the strengths of analog sound.  Plus, where else can you find an analog keyboard mono/duo synth with four VCOs?

That's true. In mono mode you really get a thickness that's hard to beat by any other instrument. That's why the TVS Pro used to impress me way more than the Model D, although I could eventually see - by direct comparison with other current Moogs - why the Model D's basic sound is so much richer. But overall, it didn't blew me away as much. I would say, however, that having both the TVS Pro and the Model D probably puts you in an instant classic mono (duo for the TVS) synth heaven, also not necessarily for nostalgic reasons, but in terms of pure sonic richness.

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2016, 07:19:22 AM »
Marc Doty just kicked off his series today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltX7EmO0rE&feature=youtu.be

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:58 PM »
Uh oh.  This is going to result in a major time commitment!  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2016, 01:07:58 PM »
The only advantage I see in 2 individual SEMs for you would be that you could use one for bass and another one for lead duties if you'd like to do so. But then you prefer to play at least the lead sounds in true stereo, so that added flexibility might not really be that persuasive.

What I like about the Two-Voice Pro is that it's already set up for stereo.  With every other mono synth, it's a matter of having two or three units, as well as audio chords, MIDI cords, various stands, and so on.  With the TVP, it's all right there in the one package.  It's a unique and an ideal design in many ways.   

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »

What I like about the Two-Voice Pro is that it's already set up for stereo.  With every other mono synth, it's a matter of having two or three units, as well as audio chords, MIDI cords, various stands, and so on.  With the TVP, it's all right there in the one package.  It's a unique and an ideal design in many ways.

The Modal 001 also does this, by default - connect R only, get both voices; connect L & R, get discrete outputs (no mid-panning).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2016, 09:00:38 PM »

The Modal 001 also does this, by default - connect R only, get both voices; connect L & R, get discrete outputs (no mid-panning).

Thanks for the information.  Personally, I much prefer the very simple configuration of the Two-Voice Pro.  In addition, although the 001 does sound great, I far prefer the gorgeous analog tone of the TVP.

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2016, 07:28:24 AM »
Personally, I much prefer the very simple configuration of the Two-Voice Pro.  In addition, although the 001 does sound great, I far prefer the gorgeous analog tone of the TVP.

Yeah–regardless of whether my future includes a TVP, there will be a SEM purchase imminently. For all I know, it might come wrapped in a keyboard chassis with a partnering SEM and a sequencer!

For that matter, even if I was strongly considering an OB-6 (and I am), I'd probably still keep the SEM.

And then there is the issue of color (bone white vs. black)....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »
If you like the Oberheim sound that much, then having both an OB-6 and a SEM or a Two-Voice Pro makes sense.  I know most synthesists prefer sonic variety, but I personally prefer sonic consistency.  I like set ups that have several of one instrument, or at least several instruments from the same company.  It looks good and it sounds good.  So, from that perspective, an OB-6 and a SEM or TVP are only a natural combination.

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2016, 07:57:05 PM »
So - after a day with the Tom Oberheim SEM (MIDI-to-CV version, `NEWSEM9` PCB), I absolutely love the sound, but am convinced that one must embrace the rather limited modulation routings (even with all of the patch points on the MIDIed unit exposed*) as a necessary creative feature.

For those that are used to the wealth of Prophet '08 / Mopho / Tetra modulation routings, it may be a bit of a shock; in my own setup, I specifically chose a standalone SEM so that I might focus on its constraints. The DSI Pro-2 makes an excellent modulation source / controller for this, with a much wider variety of source / destination / multiplier options than the TVS Pro....

Also - in the case of the MIDI-to-CV variant - as with the TVS Pro, the MIDI controller-instantiated modulation options are sparse, though I have not heard any zipper-noise or stair-stepped artifacts when using the mod wheel, for example, as a pitch adjustment via EXTMOD.

After all of this, I might be inclined to go for the OB-6 desktop before I'd jump into the TVS Pro, though nothing beats stereo SEMs!

* - the `NEWSEM9` PCB is also used in the later SEM Pro and TVS Pro, providing a 30-pin breakout for the patch panel; in addition, there exists a pair of auxiliary VCAs which (I believe) is used for the panning control on the TVS Pro (not used or exposed on the SEM Pro or SEM Patch-Panel variants).

With a suitable breakout (and a clever way to route it), it might definitely be possible to LFO-modulate the output panning....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:06:28 PM by DavidDever »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2016, 09:24:32 PM »
Congratulations on the new SEM, David.  I'd love to hear some recordings, if and when you're able.

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2016, 04:15:58 AM »
So - after a day with the Tom Oberheim SEM (MIDI-to-CV version, `NEWSEM9` PCB), I absolutely love the sound, but am convinced that one must embrace the rather limited modulation routings (even with all of the patch points on the MIDIed unit exposed*) as a necessary creative feature.

For those that are used to the wealth of Prophet '08 / Mopho / Tetra modulation routings, it may be a bit of a shock; in my own setup, I specifically chose a standalone SEM so that I might focus on its constraints. The DSI Pro-2 makes an excellent modulation source / controller for this, with a much wider variety of source / destination / multiplier options than the TVS Pro....

Also - in the case of the MIDI-to-CV variant - as with the TVS Pro, the MIDI controller-instantiated modulation options are sparse, though I have not heard any zipper-noise or stair-stepped artifacts when using the mod wheel, for example, as a pitch adjustment via EXTMOD.

After all of this, I might be inclined to go for the OB-6 desktop before I'd jump into the TVS Pro, though nothing beats stereo SEMs!

* - the `NEWSEM9` PCB is also used in the later SEM Pro and TVS Pro, providing a 30-pin breakout for the patch panel; in addition, there exists a pair of auxiliary VCAs which (I believe) is used for the panning control on the TVS Pro (not used or exposed on the SEM Pro or SEM Patch-Panel variants).

With a suitable breakout (and a clever way to route it), it might definitely be possible to LFO-modulate the output panning....

It's funny to see that the components of the two VCOs are arranged symmetrically.

You should definitely check out the TVS Pro and the OB-6 side by side if possible, since I would say that they sound a tad different with the TVS Pro being a bit edgier and having more bottom end for example - at least that was my initial impression. And I don't mean that in the sense of one sounds better and the other one worse, since they both sound nice. But I would make a final decision conditional on how you would like to use the Oberheim sound.

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
You should definitely check out the TVS Pro and the OB-6 side by side if possible, since I would say that they sound a tad different with the TVS Pro being a bit edgier and having more bottom end for example - at least that was my initial impression. And I don't mean that in the sense of one sounds better and the other one worse, since they both sound nice. But I would make a final decision conditional on how you would like to use the Oberheim sound.

Interestingly enough, the newer SEM board has more than a couple similarities with the OB-6 voice card, compared to the first iterations of TO SEM (`NEWSEM5D` shown, with discrete envelopes):

Note that the `NEWSEM5D` variant still has the trigger polarity and strapping options of the original SEM, whereas the `NEWSEM9` board does not (gate only)...that said, it also lacks the newer PCB's aux (panning) VCAs.

I have no idea whether there's a sonic difference, though the sound as is is just gorgeous.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:17:22 PM by DavidDever »

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 05:20:13 PM »
Interestingly enough, the newer SEM board has more than a couple similarities with the OB-6 voice card, compared to the first iterations of TO SEM (`NEWSEM5D` shown, with discrete envelopes):

Note that this variant still has the trigger polarity and strapping options of the original SEM, whereas the `NEWSEM9` board does not (gate only)....

Interesting. So when did the change come along? I mean when did Tom switch from NEWSEM5D to NEWSEM9? And why? Was it due to relocated manufacturing?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »
Paul, didn't you email Tom Oberheim about this and get a direct answer?  I thought we had discussed this.

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
Paul, didn't you email Tom Oberheim about this and get a direct answer?  I thought we had discussed this.

That was more about how some people perceived the filters to sound different between lower and higher serial numbers, especially with regard to the resonance behaviour.

I didn't ask Tom the questions I posted below, nor did I get any hint for possible answers.