My Gate Sequencer Editor

Mauro

My Gate Sequencer Editor
« on: May 22, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »
The Rev2 is a joy to program, with all that knobs....
What I find difficult to manipulate from panel is the gate sequencer. So I built my editor only for the sequencer, with ctrlr. Is very very simple and it includes only the parameter you find in the sequencer section on the panel. If you wanna give it a try I will appreciate. You need the free app ctrlr for use it. The forum doesn't permit to upload the file  :(, so you have to mail me and I can send it to you.
Bye bye.

maurocavalieridoro@tiscali.it

Djinn

Re: My Gate Sequencer Editor
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 06:24:57 PM »
Hey mauro, it's about time u turned up.... "This is the way".... I'm so glad sumone else has picked up ctlr.... Iv been trying to promote the idea of a panel for rev2 and would be happy to do what I can to get this together... I know there is already a "prophet 08" template ready to convert let me know if u are interested in getting it together

Thanks

Djinn

Mauro

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:50:38 PM »
Hello Djinn, I appreciate you like the idea. Yes I know there is a panel for the Prophet '08 and in the beginning I  started actually with try to convert it for the Rev2. I meet some problem that I can't solve, for example it seems there is an offset in the values if you tell to ctrlr to send NRPN instead of Syx, and I can't find the culprist....
I don't like the sequencer section of that panel, with rotary fader for the steps, I find easyer to read the linear fader, and ther is no indipendent switch for reset and rest. So I decided to build my own panel..... For the entire REV2 there are two beautiful editor (Sound Tower and Codeknob) but what I needed was only the sequencer.
But is exiting to build the panel with ctrlr, so welcome your help in my difficult in tranlsating it. The first problem I need to solve is that offset in the value........

kris

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 03:19:27 AM »
Hey mauro, it's about time u turned up.... "This is the way".... I'm so glad sumone else has picked up ctlr.... Iv been trying to promote the idea of a panel for rev2 and would be happy to do what I can to get this together... I know there is already a "prophet 08" template ready to convert let me know if u are interested in getting it together

Thanks

Djinn
While I find the CTRLR panels mostly to be beautiful in a graphical sense, the Lua code inside mostly is just plain horrible. When I had my Rev2 fresh and new in 2017, the first thing I tried to to was to upgrade that Prophet 08 panel, but even being a programmer by profession I must say I got stuck early on. The code written is insanely complex for the little complexity it should have, and the author obviously didn't know what a loop is creating hundreds and hundreds of lines of code without reason.

That experience, plus the very hard debugging means with the mixed C++/Lua code in CTRLR, made me turn away and in the end create my own software, which is a Librarian and for me also an editor - but the editor part hasn't made its way into the OpenSource part - yet.

I remember somebody here posted a web-based gated sequencer editor that you could just pull up in chrome? I thought that was a nice idea, but can't find the link right now.

I also turned my BCR2000 into a gated sequencer editor, which makes it near perfect with 32 knobs:

https://github.com/christofmuc/bcr2000_for_dsi_prophet_rev2
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 12:30:00 AM »
I've bought a Arturia Beatstep for this exact purpose. 16 programs with 16 knobs.
I also use it for the ARP2600 and the Moog Module Sequencer btw.

Mauro

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 11:55:48 PM »
Yes Kris, CTRLR in unusefully complicated and I'm not a programmer. It has many bug in the graphical side too. But for me was the only way to realize an editor. With the time, if I'll resolve the difficult with CTRLR I'll try to convert the REV'8 panel.
Thank you.

maxter

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
I've bought a Arturia Beatstep for this exact purpose. 16 programs with 16 knobs.

One question on this if I may, let's say you have the 4 gated sequencers set up with 4 programs, one for each sequence, then after changing the knob values (ie programming a sequence on the Rev2) on the Beatstep, does it save those new values when pressing STORE? So that you can then change program to edit another sequence, and then go back to the first program and catch up where you left off... Let's say I have all knob values set to 0 on the Beatstep, I then change knob 1 to a value of 64, press STORE, change program and back again, when I turn knob 1 again, does it send a value of 65 (64+1) or 1 (0+1)?

I asked this on the Beatstep forum but got no answers.

The manual isn't very informative either: "Since you can’t change most of the MIDI settings for the controls without using the MIDI Control  Center,  the  main  reason  you  would  want  to  use  the  STORE  button  in  CNTRL mode is to re-order the presets due to a last-minute set change or something like that."  :P

"most"... not mentioning what it actually DOES save. I shake my head, literally.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!
The Way the Truth and the Life

maxter

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:58:41 PM »
For those who have an iPad, I made a control template for the Rev2 gated sequencers and the modulation matrix, and the main page while I was at it. Not optimal, but it has served me well. It should work on just about any iPad, at least iPad2 and up I'm sure.

RTP midi may also be useful with this solution.

If anyone is interested:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3130.0.html

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 01:37:03 AM »

One question on this if I may, let's say you have the 4 gated sequencers set up with 4 programs, one for each sequence, then after changing the knob values (ie programming a sequence on the Rev2) on the Beatstep, does it save those new values when pressing STORE? So that you can then change program to edit another sequence, and then go back to the first program and catch up where you left off... Let's say I have all knob values set to 0 on the Beatstep, I then change knob 1 to a value of 64, press STORE, change program and back again, when I turn knob 1 again, does it send a value of 65 (64+1) or 1 (0+1)?

I asked this on the Beatstep forum but got no answers.

The manual isn't very informative either: "Since you can’t change most of the MIDI settings for the controls without using the MIDI Control  Center,  the  main  reason  you  would  want  to  use  the  STORE  button  in  CNTRL mode is to re-order the presets due to a last-minute set change or something like that."  :P

"most"... not mentioning what it actually DOES save. I shake my head, literally.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Unfortunately not. When is turn knob 1 from 1 to 10. Store this in program 1. Recall program 2, turn the knob, it moves from 11 onwards to for instance 20. When I recall program 1 again, turn knob 1, it continues from 21.

I actually tested the behavior in midi monitor.

kris

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 08:04:32 AM »
Yes Kris, CTRLR in unusefully complicated and I'm not a programmer. It has many bug in the graphical side too. But for me was the only way to realize an editor. With the time, if I'll resolve the difficult with CTRLR I'll try to convert the REV'8 panel.
Thank you.
Don't get me wrong - I think CTRLR is a great idea and I use e.g. the Matrix 1000 panel myself. It is just then when starting to work in the code you realize how much effort must have already gone into all those panels, and maintaining them seems to be hard, many of them also only working on specific versions of CTRLR. But with some love and labour, you can create wonderful things with it!
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

maxter

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »

Unfortunately not. When is turn knob 1 from 1 to 10. Store this in program 1. Recall program 2, turn the knob, it moves from 11 onwards to for instance 20. When I recall program 1 again, turn knob 1, it continues from 21.

I actually tested the behavior in midi monitor.

Thanks a lot! You saved me the hassle of ordering and returning it, in order to find out. What a bummer though, it could've been a really great controller for the Rev2 gated sequencers otherwise.