Help with Rev2 to Integra 7

Help with Rev2 to Integra 7
« on: May 18, 2020, 06:23:29 PM »
I don't have much experience with synthesizers and I have borrowed a Roland Integra 7 sound module. I connected the Rev2 to the Integra 7 via MIDI cable and it works fine as I'm hearing all the sound from the sound module, but what I really wanted to do was was use all the oscillator knobs, envelope knobs, etc. on the Rev2 to shape and modify these sounds, but they simply do nothing as I kind of expected.

I have no idea how to make that happen after trying to find solutions and it would be upsetting to have all the knobs and buttons be useless. With my limited knowledge on this issue, I would definitely appreciate any ideas that anyone has to solve this problem, if possible. Btw I have my MacBook Pro with Studio One as DAW, if that may help as a tool to make any attempt happen somehow.

maxter

Re: Help with Rev2 to Integra 7
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 05:21:41 AM »
Well, it will probably be hard to achieve. I don't there is a quick fix for this.

You could compare the MIDI specifications of Rev2 and Integra7, to know which CC-message each knob spits out, and what CCs Integra accept, and for what parameters. If you're lucky, perhaps a few of the CCs are the same, but as they often have different parameters to begin... Anyway, you'll probably have to translate the CCs from the Rev2 to achieve what you want, which means having some MIDI software in between the two, and program the translation yourself, CC by CC.

If the Integras parameters aren't available as CC, then you'll have to convert the Rev2 CCs (or NRPNs) to MIDI Sysex messages, which are also in the MIDI spec.
The Way the Truth and the Life

Mauro

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 11:59:45 PM »
Hallo Vick, I own the Rev 2 and the Integra7. I think it's very impratical to control the Rev 2 via Integra, they use non compatible messages for their parameters. Integra uses few CC for SN articulation (17, 18, 19, 80, 81, 82) and the usual known for filter resonance etc (74, 71, etc...). The big part you have to do it with SysEx. The Rev 2 uses NRPN for default or CC, but different from Integra. So, for example, the cutoff and resonance are 102 and 103. The Rev2 parameters are fixed (the same for every patch) but in the Integra they change if you use Drum, Sample Player or Super Naturale Or SNSynth. With a CC converter on PC you could control only some parameters (maybe envelopes, filter cut and res) but not for every engine. They are very different machine, it's seriusly different try to inteface them.

Mauro

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 01:44:05 AM »
Hallo Vick, I own the Rev 2 and the Integra7. I think it's very impratical to control the Rev 2 via Integra, they use non compatible messages for their parameters. Integra uses few CC for SN articulation (17, 18, 19, 80, 81, 82) and the usual known for filter resonance etc (74, 71, etc...). The big part you have to do it with SysEx. The Rev 2 uses NRPN for default or CC, but different from Integra. So, for example, the cutoff and resonance are 102 and 103. The Rev2 parameters are fixed (the same for every patch) but in the Integra they change if you use Drum, Sample Player or Super Naturale Or SNSynth. With a CC converter on PC you could control only some parameters (maybe envelopes, filter cut and res) but not for every engine. They are very different machine, it's seriusly different try to inteface them.
seriusly difficult.......