MIDI input suddenly dies constantly.

Re: MIDI input suddenly dies constantly.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 07:24:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have the below problem .. could this be the same issue as you described, and if so, has anybody found a solution for this yet?
Thank you in advance  :)

I recently bought the lovely Prophet XL
.. However I have this MIDI Feedback Loop problem:
On PX, I connect USB MIDI Port to Computer where I use the sequencer (Studio One).
On PX, I set the LOCAL control to "OFF" or "Key/Wheels Off".
Then I record to Studio One ver. 5 (in Windows 10), and send the MIDI back to trigger the sound module in PX.
Every things acts fine, I can hear the PX. as intended :-)

However .. after been playing a while, maybe a minute or 2, suddenly the notes on the PX hangs, and the sequencer freezes !!.. and the only way to stop this, is to disconnect the USB MIDI cable..
.. Then the Sequencer unfreezes and work again.
.. Then I have to push the keys on the PX Keyboard, that the hanging notes will get "notes off" MIDI message of the corresponding hanging notes.

.. And the I can play again for some minutes again , before it the same scenario happens again :-//

So it seems, that the "Local off" on the PX periodically goes wrong ?

What do you think?
.. Do you have an explanation?

Could this be a software bug, that could be fixed with a software update ?

Thank you very much in advance :-(

Best regards

Kim Baekgaard

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 04:30:56 PM »
So I sold my PX months ago. It's almost my ideal synth but I need the ability to use it effectively in a DAW. I was really hoping that I'd see a new firmware or a forum update about this and I'm pretty bummed that folks are still having this issue and it seems like Sequential can't fix/replicate. I'll almost certainly buy a Prophet X again if this issue is addressed but for the time being I'll do without.

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »
Sucks it had to come to that. I've sequenced the Prophet X externally multiple times and have had zero issues. Sadly I think the PX was a complete disaster for Sequential (from the nightmare of 8Dio dropping the ball constantly to the unfamiliar territory for Sequential causing so many support issues) I think we'll see Dave and co kick the PX/XL off their catalog before we see any further support for it. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 06:27:57 PM »
Don't give up on the Prophet X update.  ;)

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 02:36:12 PM »
Welp I'll eat my words LOL new firmware update.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 06:20:21 AM »
There is a new firmware update, that Sequential Support have asked me by email to try out (check out the sticky post as well). Will be trying it later on today or tomorrow.
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

Jr

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 02:46:32 PM »
Unfortunately I’m still having the same issue. Downgrading to 2.1 solved this for me.

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 10:46:48 AM »
hi, i'm having the same issue and currently looking for a link to 2.1.3 to try and downgrade. can anyone please send ?
cheers

J_P_P

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 05:07:05 AM »
I am using the latest Official version FW (not the new BETA) and yesterday i tried to load a Sysex File with some presets, and had to try like 4 times via USB , before it managed to load 100% of the File / Presets.

Does the new Beta solve this ?

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
I am using the latest Official version FW (not the new BETA) and yesterday i tried to load a Sysex File with some presets, and had to try like 4 times via USB , before it managed to load 100% of the File / Presets.

What software are you using to send the file?  Many utilities allow you to adjust the delay between what are actually a series of distinct SysEx messages within the file, one per preset, giving the Prophet X a chance to "ingest" each preset before moving to the next one.  It would seem there's simply not enough time between messages to reliably get back to a state where it's ready to receive the next one, and that's not something newer firmware is likely to change.

J_P_P

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2021, 02:02:00 PM »

What software are you using to send the file?  Many utilities allow you to adjust the delay between what are actually a series of distinct SysEx messages within the file, one per preset, giving the Prophet X a chance to "ingest" each preset before moving to the next one.  It would seem there's simply not enough time between messages to reliably get back to a state where it's ready to receive the next one, and that's not something newer firmware is likely to change.

I tried MIDI SysEx file transfer utility, the default is 50 ms i think. I increased it and failed 3 or 4 times, with different values (100, 150, 200) ...it failed  by 25% , 90 % , 50% maybe. When it worked it was with the Default value , again.

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2021, 10:45:50 AM »
New OS posted which resolves some USB MIDI issues: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2656.msg28836.html#msg28836
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2021, 04:48:51 PM »
For people with USB MIDI issues - did this 2.2.1 update fix them?  I have a brand new XL with 2.2.0 and want to try it desperately but I'm not sure if it's safe; the prophet X support page says 2.2.0 is the latest version....

I contacted support and haven't gotten a response yet.    :(

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2021, 02:20:06 AM »
For people with USB MIDI issues - did this 2.2.1 update fix them?  I have a brand new XL with 2.2.0 and want to try it desperately but I'm not sure if it's safe; the prophet X support page says 2.2.0 is the latest version....

I contacted support and haven't gotten a response yet.    :(

Yes it did and it was pain free as an update. I know I cannot speak for all.
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2021, 11:30:09 AM »

I can confirm!  MIDI over USB is working properly now.  Thanks.... And thanks to Sequential for squashing that bug!!!

I do seem to have an issue with Studio One though: I'm not getting controller movements sent out to MIDI unless track monitoring is Off.  Not sure what is going on there.  It's annoying but workable for now.