Has the appalling pots been upgraded since the Sequential brand got printed on t

The pots are awful, on every DSI / Sequential ive laid my hands on and owned the shafts wobble like on my crappy Subsequent 37 which are made of plastic. All synths have felt cheap with creaking chassis and partypooping encoders

I heard that the Pro 3 has been upgraded to using better more solid pots that dont have loose wobbly shafts from all the complaints and is rock solid but havenīt felt one up yet

Maybe a Sequential employee can shed some light as to why they have used so such low quality pots

I really love the sound of the OB-6 but I cant pay ridiculous amounts of money for such a low quality build

Im also quite heavy handed and dont wanna feel like i have to pet butterflies

Cheers

LPF83

The pots are awful, on every DSI / Sequential ive laid my hands on and owned the shafts wobble like on my crappy Subsequent 37 which are made of plastic. All synths have felt cheap with creaking chassis and partypooping encoders

I heard that the Pro 3 has been upgraded to using better more solid pots that dont have loose wobbly shafts from all the complaints and is rock solid but havenīt felt one up yet

Maybe a Sequential employee can shed some light as to why they have used so such low quality pots

I really love the sound of the OB-6 but I cant pay ridiculous amounts of money for such a low quality build

Cheers

My OB-6 has the Sequential brand rather than DSI, and the pots are tight.  The caps are plastic thus might be considered cheaper compared to the Rev2 rubberized knobs, but they feel great in actual use, and no complaints whatsoever.. definitely not wobbly shafts.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

I'm not a Sequential employee, but I'll go out on a limb and say: profits?

At about $1 each in bulk, those pots are a real bargain...
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Cheers

My OB-6 has the Sequential brand rather than DSI, and the pots are tight.  The caps are plastic thus might be considered cheaper compared to the Rev2 rubberized knobs, but they feel great in actual use, and no complaints whatsoever.. definitely not wobbly shafts.
I have zero problem with the knobs, I like them and they look good, my big modular was all davies 1900

So many reports on loose shafts and them being off vertical axis

I'm not a Sequential employee, but I'll go out on a limb and say: profits?

At about $1 each in bulk, those pots are a real bargain...
For sure

But they couldīve gotten Alpha 9mm pots that are indestructible

Itīs in 90% of eurorack and Behringer uses them and theyre probably less than a dollar in bulk

I have both the Rev2 and an OB-6 module. Neither have a single knob/pot or button that is wobbly. I guess I got lucky. Once in a while the oscillator frequency knobs on the Rev2 will skip or jump a bit... Giving them a full rotation or 2 will remedy this for me. I couldn't stand wobbly controls (if brand new) and would return, if possible, until I got a tight one.

My used Slim Phatty has a few knobs with some lateral movement. It's minimal though and it cost me less than $400.00 including shipping from Music Go Round in Co. Still works perfectly and gets used on most projects because of the creamy tones it produces. So, I guess I can overlook a wobble here and there if the synth's rewards are worth it.

Ditto, my OB-6 desktop is incredibly solid, including the knobs.  I'm not the biggest fan of the all plastic caps, but the pots themselves are very sturdy here.

In all fairness, I must admit that my OB6 Desktop knobs are also all rock solid. It's a low serial number BTW.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:27:24 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

OceanMachine

Both the OB-6 keys I currently own and the OB-6 module I had are entirely rock solid. Also, just because the particular synths you tried creek, doesn't mean anything as both the P6/OB-6 chassis are made of steel, which means it's not as flexible, but it's a high quality material and strong.

Either you are being extremely hyperbolic, you're the Incredible Hulk, or you tried one on a show floor where some folks actively go out of their way to break things. The store I go to doesn't carry Sequential products, although nearly everything there is always broken, especially anything to do with knobs.

There is some movement somewhere on my desktop module (shaft, chassis, mounting with panel, PCB beneath, not sure) but I've never concluded its an issue of quality. The pots 'give' and the degree of it varies between them but only if you try. I've never felt any lateral movement beneath my fingers in normal use.

'Wobble' suggests they're fragile, they're not. I've had my OB-6 for a few years and it's had a good beating in its lifetime (sorry Dave) including gigs, long journeys in flight cases, being chucked in rucksacks, things falling on it (and people at one particularly chaotic gig at a biker festival but that's a whole other story!) and it remains as functional as they day I bought it.

Thanks guys, sounds reassuring

The OB-6 is a desert island poly for me, that and a solid mono and Iīm good

Thinking of selling the Subsequent 37, it looks and sound great but wobbly plastic pots (seem to be an Asheville thing as Make Noise also uses them, bah) and no FM

Drooling at the Pro3 atm, if the ladder and all the drive stuff can come close then I might go for it (canīt wait to try one out)

Might add some of the cheaper Behringer monos as well (model d, ms20, cat) for the tone and ease of use (and price, yum)

I do prefer preset synths so I can make my own libraries tho

I found my Subsequent 37 pots more solid than the DSI/Sequential stuff I’ve used so far. I had to return my new Pro 2 as the cutoff knobs went really wobbly after just two weeks. I’ve seen that on the Prophet 6 and, to a lesser extent, on the OB-6 but in fairness those two were shop floor models that have been in that store for a couple of years.

OB6 has solid feeling knobs. Not as solid as some of the ones out there. But not as bad as some of the early/cheaper DSI stuff.
It certainly isn't anything that bothers me in day to day use.

In all fairness, I must admit that my OB6 Desktop knobs are also all rock solid. It's a low serial number BTW.

Could you please tell me about your potentiometers on the Rev2? Are they also rock solid?

Mine are wobbling too much for my personal taste.

I am not satisfied with the build quality of the potentiometers on my Rev2.

Thanks.

Could you please tell me about your potentiometers on the Rev2? Are they also rock solid?

Mine are wobbling too much for my personal taste.

I am not satisfied with the build quality of the potentiometers on my Rev2.

Thanks.

They're rock solid on my REV2 too. The only real thing that bothers me a little about all of the knobs on DSI/Sequential products is their small size. The tactile satisfaction of turning big knobs on my vintage Minimoog D is missing on all new gear, because $25 industrial grade hermetically sealed Honeywell pots (formerly Allen Bradley) that last a lifetime do not make business sense.

Earlier OB-6 module, never had a problem with the pots....rock solid for me.

Just got a brand new OB 6 and the knobs are a bit wobbly but I've experienced worse. 🤷🏼‍♂️ For this price they should be dang near perfect but it's not enough of a problem to go through the hassle of exchanging it. Having some other weirdness however but that's for another thread.