Midi Seq out bug?

sofine

Midi Seq out bug?
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:56:16 AM »
I've been trying to record some of the Sequences out of the PX into my DAW and I am only getting monophonic recordings even when the sequence clearly has polyphonic sequences.

Has anyone experienced this?

I have tried this in 2 DAWS and I can record poly notes in when I play the keys, so it does seem to be an issue with the seq output.

Latest OS 2.2

Re: Midi Seq out bug?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:30:20 AM »
I've been trying to record some of the Sequences out of the PX into my DAW and I am only getting monophonic recordings even when the sequence clearly has polyphonic sequences.

Has anyone experienced this?

I have tried this in 2 DAWS and I can record poly notes in when I play the keys, so it does seem to be an issue with the seq output.

Latest OS 2.2

Using Logic Pro X. When I record mono sequences its fine. However if I try to record polyphonic then I just get lots of stretched notes stacked on top of each other. I just put this down to logic.
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

sofine

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 03:33:27 AM »
Hi Jago,

Thanks for looking at it. If you play chords from the PX and record in Logic does it record the chords as you played them? If so, then would that not suggest it's not Logic but it's the sequencer output from the PX that seems to be misbehaving?

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 03:59:58 AM »
Hi Jago,

Thanks for looking at it. If you play chords from the PX and record in Logic does it record the chords as you played them? If so, then would that not suggest it's not Logic but it's the sequencer output from the PX that seems to be misbehaving?

Thats a fair comment. Let me check later and will update you.
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:12:37 AM »
Hi Jago,

I recorded a few chords into a sequence on the PX. Recorded them into logic and they came out garbage. As I say anything monophonic records fine, just not chords.
Mac Studio. Logic.

sofine

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 08:07:17 AM »
Hey Jago. What I had meant for you to test was simply playing chords live on your PX in realtime into Logic (avoid using the sequencer altogether) and see if you can get that poly midi data into Logic at all.

You have however shown that user recorded sequences (as well as the factory ones) also don't transmit correctly! :)

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 09:24:19 AM »
Hey Jago. What I had meant for you to test was simply playing chords live on your PX in realtime into Logic (avoid using the sequencer altogether) and see if you can get that poly midi data into Logic at all.

You have however shown that user recorded sequences (as well as the factory ones) also don't transmit correctly! :)

Yes live chords from the PX are fine.
Mac Studio. Logic.

sofine

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 02:32:24 PM »
Cheers. I'll email dsi support.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 06:08:22 PM »
It sounds a lot like a MIDI loop, where the Prophet X is playing sequenced notes but also sending them out to Logic X - which is evidently configured to echo them back, resulting in the same notes tying up multiple voices.

sofine

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 02:13:19 AM »
Hi Lady Gaia,

In my case, I had made sure not to transmit any midi at all back from my DAW (ableton / Bitwig) while recording, to avoid any potential loops.

I wil double check that my iconnect imidi 4 wasn't contributing to any loops but I am pretty sure I had bypassed that and connected directly for this test.

If you are in a position to try it, does it work OK in your case? Though, I must say, you've already done more than enough for the PX community :)

sofine

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 05:01:30 AM »
I checked again and I can't find any midi loops that might be causing any reason why I can't record the sequencer output polyphonically. In fact, while I am recording into my DAW if I stop the seq from the PX and play a chord manually it records the chord perfectly into my DAW and when I hit play on the seq again, back to mono / single notes (even though I am hearing polyphonic seq).

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »
If you are in a position to try it, does it work OK in your case? Though, I must say, you've already done more than enough for the PX community :)

I'm happy to have made a difference for folks!  Sadly my Prophet X is several thousand miles away and will remain so for a while.  I'm muddling along with no keys at all where we're waiting out the pandemic, though I am working on getting a desk built for this residence and will eventually be better equipped.  It's just that everything is moving very slowly at the moment.

Good luck sorting out the issue, and sorry I can't provide more immediate assistance.

sofine

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 02:14:35 AM »
Yikes, please don't apologise! You definitely took ALOT of the pain away with using the PX / samples. I'm surprised it had to happen outside the DSI corridors of power! Kudos and thanks again!

"Slowly", as you mention, is hitting the proverbial nail with hammer. On May 18th here in Ireland a 5 phase plan of relaxing lockdown begins. It's so arbitrary. Dates, numbers, stats. More waves of lockdown are inevitable, depending on so many factors, including the behaviour of our neighbours. The only certainty is the lack of it :)