Tempest price increase / tempest future

Stoss

Re: Tempest price increase / tempest future
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 09:03:02 AM »
Is a Tempest 2 really that likely though?

After the debacle that was/is the Tempest firmware it seemed pretty clear that Roger Linn was the only one who really had his head in the game as far as the drum-machine side of the equation went - and it seems extremely unlikely that he''l be back in the picture. Would DSI really know what they're doing solo? It's certainly not what I'd see as their core strength!

Not sure I'd trust DSI again tbh, even though I love the Tempest. Maybe after it's been out for a few years or so!

Yes... to all of this. I think Roger Linn is the very reason that I connect with the Tempest. The Prophet X has struck me as an oddity. I swear, in some of the videos I even witnessed Dave Smith trying to distance himself from the responsibilities of the 8dio side of things. I think Dave's sweet spot is analog synths. The Pro3 is killer. Maybe it's just in my head, but there seems to be a continual inability for Sequential to polish up the firmware of their synths. That seems to become extremely difficult when things go slightly outside of their lane... Sample based architecture... Drum machine based architecture. It just feels like they are really stretching when trying to pull this off. I would however LOVE to be proved wrong.

OceanMachine

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
They don't need to change the format too much, which is what Roger was there for. If they incorporate Prophet X sample tech/filters and the Pro 3 sequencer parameter lock/external MIDI tech (so long as the tracks are made fully poly capable), they'd have a real hit on their hands. All the tech is there and just needs to be tweaked a bit.

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
Lots of good points made. I think the uniqueness of the Tempest in the DSI/Sequential product line along with Roger Linn's involvement really does make it unlikely that we'll get a Tempest 2, but you never know.

If the Tempest is actually discontinued I hope it gets a proper announcement at least. I seem to recall them doing something like that when they retired the Mopho/Tetra line.

OceanMachine

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »
Again, the format is already there so they don't need Roger's involvement this time around. Minor changes like adding sustain and release knobs and getting rid of the main out effects/MIDI delay in favor of per voice effects from the PX. It's mainly about repurposing prior tech, which is a common sense business move, yet it would still be unique in their product-line. Nothing on the market would even remotely touch it.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »
Again, the format is already there so they don't need Roger's involvement this time around...

LOL...

I honestly can't wait to watch this unfold from the sidelines this time.  It'll be a right 'ol comedy of errors, I reckon.  Better blow the dust off the popcorn maker...   ;)

Cheers!

OceanMachine

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 04:16:00 PM »
Here's an idea on what Roger brought to the table:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCjFXnxwA0

I've never heard anyone complain about the "format" of the Tempest, I.E. its user interface, nor do I see much need to improve upon that aspect.

The biggest hurdle, I.E. technical limitation, came from the under powered chip as noted here:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2704.msg35782.html?PHPSESSID=3n9vj138h0i302n5uvq32ai187#msg35782
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:29:53 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »
Careful now.  You might be at risk of betraying just how little you know about who contributed what to the Tempest's design and functionality, and how this debacle all transpired.  Just saying...

But hey, if and when the T2 drops, you dive right in and have at 'er, if that's where your faith leads you.  I'll be watching, with popcorn in hand and a big smile on my face.  Don't say I didn't warn you.  ;)

Cheers!

OceanMachine

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »
How about you enlighten me beyond your (thus far) empty posts since you seem to know more than what the actual contributors stated. Just saying... It's clear what their general contributions were, even if they weren't entirely relegated to a single aspect.

CHearz! OMg popkorn lawls  ;)

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 07:05:53 PM »
I see.  Well...

You're welcome to click on my user name --> Show Posts --> Page 12 --> and start reading...

Cheers!

OceanMachine

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
Aside from your apparent saltiness, the crux to your non-explicit bone of contention in still entirely unclear... Regardless, there's an apt nearly 1:1 comparison that can be made with the MPC line. Akai as a business (after the assets were acquired) successfully moved on with the MPC as a platform after Roger's departure. Did they ever truly reinvent the wheel after Roger? No, but at the same time it wasn't entirely necessary either.

To me the questions are as follows:

Would the Tempest II benefit more from Roger's presence or rather a highly skilled programmer? Does Sequential even have a programmer skilled enough to pull it off? Could Roger release a revolutionary LinnDrum II and who's to say it won't be the next Linn 9000?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:38:27 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

Stoss

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 08:26:16 PM »
Popcorn. Beer. Let the show begin. I’d love to be surprised by a completely different story, but something tells me... same writer, same story.

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »
Aside from your apparent saltiness, the crux to your non-explicit bone of contention in still entirely unclear... Regardless, there's an apt nearly 1:1 comparison that can be made with the MPC line. Akai as a business (after the assets were acquired) successfully moved on with the MPC as a platform after Roger's departure. Did they ever truly reinvent the wheel after Roger? No, but at the same time it wasn't entirely necessary either.

To me the questions are as follows:

Would the Tempest II benefit more from Roger's presence or rather a highly skilled programmer? Does Sequential even have a programmer skilled enough to pull it off? Could Roger release a revolutionary LinnDrum II and who's to say it won't be the next Linn 9000?

First of all, my "saltiness" is part of a longstanding and well-earned tradition around here, and the "crux" of the proverbial bone I'm picking is only unclear to you.

Secondly, with regards to Roger Linn and Akai, you wouldn't be so quick to use that as an example if you knew the dynamics of that situation, or the details of what has happened on either front since their parting of ways.

Thirdly, Roger Linn is working on the LinnDrum II as we speak.  Indeed, there is a working prototype on his desk.  But it will have more in common with the LinnStrument than any of his previous drum machines.

Lastly...

"Would the Tempest II benefit more from Roger's presence?"
Yes, absolutely without question, but that will never happen.

"Does Sequential even have a programmer skilled enough to pull it off?"
Let's just say the Tempest's OS was and remains the mess it is for a reason, and it wasn't Roger Linn's fault.

Cheers!

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 08:46:26 PM »
Popcorn. Beer. Let the show begin. I’d love to be surprised by a completely different story, but something tells me... same writer, same story.

I'd invite you over, Stoss, but you know... Physical distancing.   :-\

Besides, I think we both know how this movie ends.   ;)

Cheers!

OceanMachine

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
You’ve not said a single thing I’m unaware of, aside from going over information I’ve already covered.

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2020, 08:53:37 PM »
Yep, you've got it all in perspective, clearly.

Cheers!

OceanMachine

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2020, 09:44:58 PM »
What we clearly have is two differing opinions on the Tempest.

I’m just wondering if you’re aware of the history of the Linn 9000 since you conveniently glossed over that question...

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2020, 12:15:15 AM »
I think Dave's sweet spot is analog synths. The Pro3 is killer. Maybe it's just in my head, but there seems to be a continual inability for Sequential to polish up the firmware of their synths.

That is exactly my feeling too. And I'm talking slightly out of my arse because my only direct experience is with the Tempest, everything else comes from what I'm reading on forums and watching on YouTube, but the 'hybrid' DSI synths just seem a mess to me. It's like they don't really get it and are just flinging functional mud about and hoping that some of it sticks.

Roger Linn, on the other hand, has focus. You can bet that when he releases something it'll be well thought through.

Even though it's ten(?) years old, and despite its many flaws, I just don't see anything out there that even vaguely competes with the Tempest at the moment in terms of a six-voice fully multimbral analog poly with advanced (compared to most 'keyboard synths') sequencing capabilities. Oh yeah - and a couple of digital oscs and a bunch of samples thrown in as a bonus!  ;D

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2020, 02:31:34 AM »
I’m just wondering if you’re aware of the history of the Linn 9000 since you conveniently glossed over that question...

I "conveniently glossed over" your question about the Linn 9000, because I'm not interested in discussing the trials and tribulations of a 40yr old sampler/drum machine, built by a young and ambitious tech designer, at a time when portable computing technology was in its infancy.  Nor do I think it's relevant to this conversation; unless, of course, you're concerned about the integrity of the floppy drive on the next Tempest?

Maybe we could also discuss that infamous moment when Benjamin Franklin accidentally electrocuted himself...

Cheers!

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2020, 02:45:28 AM »
Roger Linn, on the other hand, has focus. You can bet that when he releases something it'll be well thought through.

This is exactly it.  Roger has the perspective, objectivity, and methodology to design complex, all-in-one music production and performance workstations.  Sequential, on the other hand, should stick with straight-forward, analog keyboard synths.

To that end, why anyone would trust a Tempest II, after the 7-year debacle that was the original, is beyond me.  There are so many great drum machines available currently, and yet more on the way, from reputable manufacturers with proven track records.

Cheers!

OceanMachine

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »
The point is, it's not a completely unprecedented situation for Roger. It deserves to be mentioned, just as you're likely to piss and moan about the Tempest till the end of time. Although unlike you, I'm not here to point the finger. If we're to take Roger at his word, his main focus was the user interface, which was by most accounts a success. As for the MPC remark, the point I was trying to draw is that making iterations has obviously been successful enough in and of itself to have been going on for decades. Unlike you, I think Tempest is a viable platform to build upon. Having two visionaries argue over some entirely new direction to take probably would not be the best for it; however, making sure it's not bottlenecked like before in conjunction with having the most competent programmer available definitely is.

Do tell, what are these drum machines on the market that you think are so great?