Tempest price increase / tempest future

Tempest price increase / tempest future
« on: May 09, 2020, 03:39:20 AM »
Hi guys, i have noticed the price for the Tempest increasing this period (aprox 1600$ vs 1999$), could this be because it will be discontinued or some components increasing in price / harder to find these days ?

Re: Tempest price increase / tempest future
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 08:23:56 AM »
It’s becoming a classic that’s why ;)
Bet a lot of people seeing what this baby can do and looking to grab one..

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 08:40:44 AM »
Yes, its a cool instrument, i know you are a big fan of it (i remember your posts when the old DSI forum was on) BUT i saw that it is no longer in stock at sweetwater, musicstore.de and other shops, then those who still have some in stock increased their prices with 300 $ . So could it be that it will be discontinued ? Im guessing so , because the other DSI or Sequential synths did not increase in price this year, so this scenario seems similar to the one with the Technics sl 1200 decks when they were discontinued, prices increased instantly. I was thinking of selling mine a while ago (to buy a Prophet 6), but now i am not sure it's a good idea to sell :)), since the prices could rise even higher. Maybe someone has some inside news about the future of the Tempest .

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 03:40:37 PM »
Perhaps I'm just pointing out the obvious, but we are in the middle of a global pandemic: supply lines are strained, manufacturing has slowed to a crawl, the economy is in the toilet, the value of most currencies has plummeted... Just saying.

Cheers!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 10:14:20 PM »
Yes, but just for the Tempest ? The other DSI synths are all in stock and their prices did not increase now with this crisis .

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 12:32:17 AM »
Well, for the record, there has been no change in the price of Tempests here on the Canadian west coast.  Regardless, it seems to me that such changes would be different for different products, in different places, depending on many different factors.

Cheers!

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 06:25:41 AM »
As far as I know, a new Tempest has been $1999 for the last few years at least. I actually just rewatched Sonic State's 2011 review of it and they mentioned $1999 being the price, so I think that's just normal?

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 06:57:26 AM »
I got mine for 1650€ here from a Greek synth store.I remember did a price beat against Juno.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »
It was  about 1600-1700 euros on Thomann few months ago , now its 1999 euros, if i'm not mistaken.I could be wrong, but i used to check the prices because i wanted to sell mine, that's why i was shocked when i checked few days ago that its almost 2000 euros.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 10:21:26 PM »
OK so i sent an e-mail to Sweetware asking about Tempest and this is what they said :
"In that regard, the Tempest has been discontinued and we will not be getting any more stock."

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 05:02:03 AM »
Well then... Better keep 'em close, hold 'em tight, and sleep with one eye open.   ;)

Cheers! 

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 06:00:02 AM »
Lucky for us!!!

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 10:32:21 AM »
I don't know if that's good news for those of us that are keen users or not!

Probably not great news really as servicing will no doubt become more problematic. Prices may well rise on the used market, but if you don't want to sell that makes no odds.

I suspect it'll be more appreciated in a few year's time than it is now. Maybe!  ;D

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 11:46:52 AM »
That's a shame that it's being discontinued. It's close to a decade old now so I guess I'm not really surprised. Dave Smith has been hinting at some new product coming this summer or fall, so maybe if we're really lucky it'll be a Tempest 2 :D

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 12:14:36 PM »
If i had to give a percentage estimation about this it will be...hmmm...80%
AKAI is killing it out there with their new line of samplers (MPC LIVE II has just been announced).
And yes I know it’s not the same category but the right move from Sequential is to respond with a similar sampling product but with added analog synth wizardry.Basically as Tempest should have been in there first place ;) The knowledge is there from the Prophet X they only have to port it to a Tempest 2.

Dave Smith has been hinting at some new product coming this summer or fall, so maybe if we're really lucky it'll be a Tempest 2 :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:21:23 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »
That's a good point about the Prophet X sampling tech. I kind of assumed the Tempest would never get a sequel, but the timing of the discontinuation definitely is intriguing. It could also just simply be that they're manufacturing so many other synths that it's not cost-effective to keep producing the Tempest too. Guess we'll find out in August!

OceanMachine

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »
I really hope Tempest X is next up on Sequential's plate.

DigitalGeek

• Poum Tchak A boum
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
i think i would sell my wife (childs are  free in the package)  for get a Tempest 2  :o
can't wait to see

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »
Is a Tempest 2 really that likely though?

After the debacle that was/is the Tempest firmware it seemed pretty clear that Roger Linn was the only one who really had his head in the game as far as the drum-machine side of the equation went - and it seems extremely unlikely that he''l be back in the picture. Would DSI really know what they're doing solo? It's certainly not what I'd see as their core strength!

Not sure I'd trust DSI again tbh, even though I love the Tempest. Maybe after it's been out for a few years or so!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Stoss

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 08:55:33 AM »
Whatever DSI/Sequential is planning, I hope it results in the value of my Tempest skyrocketing, while simultaneously leaving me with even better options for my performance needs... be that a product made by Sequential, Roger Linn, or anyone else. Honestly though, I think replacing the Tempest will be harder than squashing all of its bugs.  ;)