New free OpenSource Sysex Librarian now with OB-6 - The KnobKraft Orm

Re: New free OpenSource Sysex Librarian now with OB-6 - The KnobKraft Orm
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 08:13:42 AM »
I've got kris's Patch Librarian up and running on my 2009 5,1 MacPro running OSX 10.13.6, via USB and it's SuperCool!
Having the Patches display in a grid that is 8-wide makes for a little head-math to assign their Patch numbers (the OB-6 way.)
But it keeps everything very orderly, in groups of 100, with clear controls in the sidebar on the left, for accessing different Banks (of 100, e.g.)

It's changing my thinking about how to use this axe - being old school, I always think, 'well, I'll collect the 500 coolest patches, and remember where they all are somehow, and I'll be set!' - - - but with this download, and the wealth of cool 3rd party stuff (I did manage to incorporate J3P0's and a few others into my 'old school' 500, but it was getting tedious) my NEW thinking is to back up my '500', and then  just load in a Set of Patches and play them for a week or two, or whatever, keep notes on anything I record with, but be a little freer with the ins and outs of Banks.

But I still may try to combine the best of the best one day, into a 500. There's definitely room in the synth; just not sure if there is room in my BRAIN!

EDIT: Working with this well designed and seemingly solid Librarian, I was able to go through the 2 new Patch Banks I'd bought, and whittle my choices down to 32 Favorites (easily marked in the Librarian.) Then I hid the rest, and exported them as a new database, in the program's terminology. So it's back to old school for me - I'm sure I can find 32 patches in my Users that I know I won't be using, and by selecting these, one by one, send them into the OB-6's edit buffer, and then save them over the 32 I won't be using. (They're still in Banks 500's through 900's anyway.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:14:13 AM by tommym »
T8, Tempest, OB6, Prophet X. 8DIO Prophet 5 add-on, Sample Packs from Lady Gaia (synth waveforms) and Modulatable.com (Moog One.)

kris

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 03:29:10 PM »
This looks really great, and feels very well written (so quick!). Thanks for the hard work.

Can I just second the feature request of the above user: If your library view could display patch numbers, that would be hugely helpful. As the OB6 only has this 3 digit display, patch numbers are the only way of retrieving a patch... over the years I've always written them down as #023 and #477 and so on. (and just like the above user I typically don't start from scratch, but edit exisiting sounds. How about including a checkbox to hide the patch names? But that's not so urgent :) )

Another detail in that regard: You added a slider that sets the number of patches per row. 10 would be a much friendlier number than 8, seeing how the synth uses banks of ten.

Again, thank you!
Glad you like it! I took note of your suggestions and put them on my list of improvement ideas (visible on github for everybody). I hope I get around to do it, the slider setting should be easy, and I like the idea of the number/name switching as the OB-6 with its retro 7-segment display really suprises me in that it has patch names at all... The numbers would be more useful!
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

kris

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 03:37:27 PM »
I've got kris's Patch Librarian up and running on my 2009 5,1 MacPro running OSX 10.13.6, via USB and it's SuperCool!
Having the Patches display in a grid that is 8-wide makes for a little head-math to assign their Patch numbers (the OB-6 way.)
But it keeps everything very orderly, in groups of 100, with clear controls in the sidebar on the left, for accessing different Banks (of 100, e.g.)

<snip>
Awesome and glad you like it! Yes, the way to use it is a it different, I am thinking of the Librarian really more as an asset management system and the assets being the patches, which want to be sorted, liked, backuped, just like Lightroom does it for the photos I take.

I am currently working on a new release which will sport user defined lists that you can use to store patches that go well together, or candidates of patches to be used in a song, or similar, taking even less additional note taking.
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm