The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

New free OpenSource Sysex Librarian now with OB-6 - The KnobKraft Orm

kris

Hi all,

in case you're not hanging around in the Rev2 forum as well - I have written a new Sysex Librarian, and after the very first release was only for the Rev2 the newly released version 1.1.0 now also supports the OB-6 (next to Access Virus B, Yamaha Reface DX, Oberheim Matrix 1000, and a new generic apation module which let's you add new synths if you can write a little Python).

To give you an idea on what it can do, watch the little video I did on version 1.0 when it was still only for the Rev2 (it's my first YouTube video ever, so please be gentle ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPoFOVpTANM

The open source code but also the download of a Windows executable installer can be found at the github site

https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

as well as build instructions for a Linux version, which works now but is largely untested. I hope to get access to a Mac soon so I can also try to provide a Mac version out of the box, any help in that regard appreciated.

Let me know what you think!

Check out the free Rev2 and OB-6 and Sysex Librarian https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm
DSI Prophet Rev 2 (16) - DSI OB-6 - Korg DW 8000 - Oberheim Matrix 1000 - Kawai K3M - Access Virus B - Roland MKS 80 - Behringer Model D

Thanks!! Iíll check it out.

This will be very welcome. I really donít want to pay £50 for software just to organise patches. Thank you for doing this. Any update / news on the Mac version? 

kris

This will be very welcome. I really donít want to pay £50 for software just to organise patches. Thank you for doing this. Any update / news on the Mac version?
Only that the plan is real - I ought to get a Mac to test the coming weekend, and then depending on complexity of problems creeping up it should be done in a week or two. If the weather is nice, though, it could take longer, as I'd rather be out sailing. And I have never done an installer build for Mac, I heard rumours you need a paid developer program license or something in order to release software for it, I have to find out about that too.
Check out the free Rev2 and OB-6 and Sysex Librarian https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm
DSI Prophet Rev 2 (16) - DSI OB-6 - Korg DW 8000 - Oberheim Matrix 1000 - Kawai K3M - Access Virus B - Roland MKS 80 - Behringer Model D

W07

Great, thanks!
It seems to work well, a few comments: requests:

The program has no icon (i just whipped one up myself for now)

A way to get all banks with a single command would be handy

I don't see a way of sending a full bank of patches, or rearrange their order?
it's also hard to tell which number in the bank list a patch is.
 that's the main reason i'd use a librarian, i arrange patches into a bank, then send the bank to the synth.

On the Ob6, patches are divided into sets called 01-99, 100-199, etc whereas on the Pro3, they're called Bank1, bank2 etc... just an observation

only one crash so far, after i asked to load bank 10 from the Pro3 (doesn't exist)

What happens when you press 'import edit buffer'? I can't tell from the GUI if it imports it into the topleft slot, or something. No patch seems to be labelled 'edit buffer'
« Last Edit: Today at 03:41:15 AM by W07 »

kris

Great, thanks!
It seems to work well, a few comments: requests:

The program has no icon (i just whipped one up myself for now)
Ah yes, I am bad at design, if you have something you want to contribute, let me know and I can build it with. You're on Windows?

A way to get all banks with a single command would be handy
Agree, I was thinking of making a multiple selection in the bank chooser possible. The reason it's not there yet is that it takes forever for a Rev2 that is connected via DIN MIDI like mine, only via USB that is a feasible operation.

I don't see a way of sending a full bank of patches, or rearrange their order?
it's also hard to tell which number in the bank list a patch is.
 that's the main reason i'd use a librarian, i arrange patches into a bank, then send the bank to the synth.
True, the program is not so much a bank manager as a complete replacement for patch storage right now - I never use the storage places on the synth, but rather send them into the edit buffer for immediate play from the computer/tablet. If bank management is a feature many people are looking for, it's rather easy to add that technically, more a design question on how the UI should work (drag and drop, "clipboard", split view...). As I don't use bank managers, I have no good idea on how that would work best.

On the Ob6, patches are divided into sets called 01-99, 100-199, etc whereas on the Pro3, they're called Bank1, bank2 etc... just an observation
Thank you! As the Pro3 implementation is an adaption done in a quick and dirty way, I hadn't bothered of putting in better bank names, but I'll take it on the list for the future!

only one crash so far, after i asked to load bank 10 from the Pro3 (doesn't exist)
Awesome! You're the first to test the Pro3 implementation, so I take that as a compliment :-)

What happens when you press 'import edit buffer'? I can't tell from the GUI if it imports it into the topleft slot, or something. No patch seems to be labelled 'edit buffer'
Hm, normally it should create a new import called "Import edit buffer", and show the patch that is currently active (if it is changed). Are you on a Pro3 or OB6 for this?