Needed to open up my Pro 3 SE

Needed to open up my Pro 3 SE
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:25:43 PM »
So I've been working with Sequential to sort of some of my Pro 3 SE issues.  So far they've been really responsive, and we've managed to get at least the Pitchbend Wheel issue sorted.  Basically the pot for the wheel was loose in it's mounting bracket, so I had to take things apart to tighten it up.  I'm impressed with how well the Pro 3 is built (other than with the person who was supposed to tighten things!) now that I've opened it up. 

I also decided to try looking at the cutoff knob to see if maybe just reseating it or something would solve that last issue with my SE.  Sadly, still no luck so they are sending me a new pot to try later this week.  Happily the pot for the cutoff is mounted by itself right to the front synth panel, and not part of the circuit boards.

Here's a few pics of the inside for those that are curious:

IO board:

The assembly for the PB and Mod wheels:

Solitary filter pot:

Re: Needed to open up my Pro 3 SE
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
Yeah I had to open mine up and the forethought in parts replacement is smart—making several things user-serviceable plus separated components and boards to make it possible to send in just one board.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 02:40:03 PM »
I had a Pro 2, a couple CV jacks went funky, all I had to do was send the PC board, (WAY cheaper than shipping the whole synth) and I had a replacement in a couple days, which I screwed back in and plugged in and FIXED~!

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 05:08:45 PM »
I'm hoping something happens soon, this is taking awhile.  I was supposed to have new pot to try at the end of last week, but it never arrived :(

I know there's a lot of other issues slowing down their support with things going on in the world, but I'm at the point now where I just want to return it.  The whole point of getting the synth was to have a new project to work on while in lockdown, and so far it's just been sitting there unuseable the last few weeks.   :'(

Sonic Neutronic

• All about the 70s/80s Horror sound
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:11:45 AM »
Hopefully you’ll be back up and running soon. Be a shame to have to return the unit.

My cutoff knob on standard edition is now squeaking when it’s turned at reasonable speed. It has basically become self resonant lol.....It’s not a major problem but if it gets worse I’ll need to solve it..... which would likely involve a new Pot....
Prophet 5 Rev 4

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 10:42:03 AM »
Hopefully you’ll be back up and running soon. Be a shame to have to return the unit.

My cutoff knob on standard edition is now squeaking when it’s turned at reasonable speed. It has basically become self resonant lol.....It’s not a major problem but if it gets worse I’ll need to solve it..... which would likely involve a new Pot....
Someone said they had knob problems, took the knob off, and there was a little plastic nub on the inside--probably just a seam from the manufacturing process. Might wanna check for that first.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 02:23:46 PM »

Sadly I can't return it now, it's past the return window.  And honestly, Steve at Robotspeak went out of his way to get it to me, I'd feel terrible having to stick him with the return during these times.

Patience is a virtue, I know....sigh.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »
Woohoo the new pot just arrived and appears to have fixed my issue.  Whew!

Sonic Neutronic

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »
Woohoo the new pot just arrived and appears to have fixed my issue.  Whew!

Good stuff - glad you are backup and running with this amazing synth!! Enjoy.

With regards to my squeaky cut off - it’s been fine for two months and just started recently.
It’s more of a metal squeak than the plastic rubbing. Almost like it’s the pot itself that needs oiling- lol - not that I would do that of course....will see if it gets worse over time.
Prophet 5 Rev 4

Sonic Neutronic

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 06:48:16 AM »
Here's a little video of what mine is now doing after about 8 weeks use...
This isn't a public youtube video - just unlisted for showing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iussETDsY-k
Prophet 5 Rev 4

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 08:13:53 AM »
Ouch that's annoying for sure.  They must be having issues with these pots, my new one is nowhere near as smooth as the original one was. Feels like there's rubbing metal when I turn it, like the pot manufacturer forgot to put grease in it or something.

Sigh, this is so frustrating, starting to regret dropping $2k+ on this synth.  Nowhere near as trouble-free as my OB-6 is.

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »
Ouch that's annoying for sure.  They must be having issues with these pots, my new one is nowhere near as smooth as the original one was. Feels like there's rubbing metal when I turn it, like the pot manufacturer forgot to put grease in it or something.

Sigh, this is so frustrating, starting to regret dropping $2k+ on this synth.  Nowhere near as trouble-free as my OB-6 is.

I think with lockdown in place they could very likely be having difficulty with manufacturers and what not. It sucks but could be worse-I've been locked out of my studio since March with zero access to any instrument.

Sonic Neutronic

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 05:26:17 PM »

Weirdly enough, my cut-off knob remains quite smooth even when making that noise.

I actually had the same issue on a Pro-2 that you have had on the 3, The filter would climb by itself, and force the screen to be stolen from other parameters I was working on. Sequential were going to send me a new pot for that - but it required soldering, and I wasn't in the mood. I ended up getting a full refund on the Pro-2 a few weeks after getting the Pro-3 :)

Lobo - hoping you get back to some equipment soon. Cant you even pay a flying visit to grab some stuff and go.......?
Prophet 5 Rev 4

LoboLives

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 05:46:32 AM »

Weirdly enough, my cut-off knob remains quite smooth even when making that noise.

I actually had the same issue on a Pro-2 that you have had on the 3, The filter would climb by itself, and force the screen to be stolen from other parameters I was working on. Sequential were going to send me a new pot for that - but it required soldering, and I wasn't in the mood. I ended up getting a full refund on the Pro-2 a few weeks after getting the Pro-3 :)

Lobo - hoping you get back to some equipment soon. Cant you even pay a flying visit to grab some stuff and go.......?

No I would sadly have to install new outlets. I live in a 1930s hotel and some of the wiring is say...mmm...suspect so I had to have most of the outlets and wiring fixed up after my Oppo 3D Blu Ray player got fried due to a surge. So most of the outlets now can really only handle so much and I fear about it happening to any of my gear.

I also have no logistical space for anything, even a Tempest would be slightly problematic because I would have no way of recording it. I'd have to buy a mini audio interface as my current one is a  24 track Soundcraft mixer and thus I would run out of outlets quickly.

Sonic Neutronic

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 06:32:25 AM »

No I would sadly have to install new outlets. I live in a 1930s hotel and some of the wiring is say...mmm...suspect so I had to have most of the outlets and wiring fixed up after my Oppo 3D Blu Ray player got fried due to a surge. So most of the outlets now can really only handle so much and I fear about it happening to any of my gear.

I also have no logistical space for anything, even a Tempest would be slightly problematic because I would have no way of recording it. I'd have to buy a mini audio interface as my current one is a  24 track Soundcraft mixer and thus I would run out of outlets quickly.

In that case. Roll on lockdown easing.

Sequential are sending me a new pot to install too....
Prophet 5 Rev 4

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 09:04:35 AM »
So I've been working with Sequential to sort of some of my Pro 3 SE issues.  So far they've been really responsive, and we've managed to get at least the Pitchbend Wheel issue sorted.  Basically the pot for the wheel was loose in it's mounting bracket, so I had to take things apart to tighten it up.  I'm impressed with how well the Pro 3 is built (other than with the person who was supposed to tighten things!) now that I've opened it up. 

Mine just arrived with a loose pitch bend wheel as well.  Are there instructions for taking things apart and fixing that issue or did you just start taking screws out, applying some common sense?

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 02:57:00 PM »

Mine just arrived with a loose pitch bend wheel as well.  Are there instructions for taking things apart and fixing that issue or did you just start taking screws out, applying some common sense?

Reach out to Sequential support, they were very quick in getting back to me with the diagrams and directions.  I think Andy would prefer to deal with the people having the issues directly, versus me sharing what he sent.

It's not that hard to take apart, just go slow and take pics along the way so you remember how it all goes back together (not really needed IMO, but better safe than sorry).  Overall I was pretty impressed with how easy the Pro3 was to service, you're looking at about 30-45 minutes to take apart, fix, and reassemble.

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 06:06:29 PM »
Hey friends, I'm also waiting for a new P3 board to arrive, as I received one of the units that switch parameters when it sits idle and sometimes freezes. For those who have done the swap already, how easy/challenging is the physical part? I'm not familiar with changing out boards inside electronics and of course want to do a solid job/not mess anything up.

Do I just need a screwdriver and wrench, or is there soldering involved? Totally worth it to have a P3 operating at full flight.
Pro 3, P6

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »
Do I just need a screwdriver and wrench, or is there soldering involved? Totally worth it to have a P3 operating at full flight.

I have not needed to replace a board, only reseat a cable.  But the Pro 3 is the easiest anything electronic I have ever opened up to service.  Whichever engineer(s) planned all that out should be proud of it.

Everything is held together with a small handful of easily accessible Phillips screws.  The boards are attached with ribbon cables; no soldering necessary.  (Though some ribbon cables are the delicate friction-fit type, so be careful with them.)  You'll need a wrench or socket to take off the nuts holding the jacks or pots (depending on board) in place after popping the knobs off by hand.  I'm pretty sure those are the only tools I used.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
I also did the board swap successfully. As stated above, it was very simple: a screwdriver and a wrench or gripping tool is all you need. My Pro 3 seems to be functioning all as intended now & the filter lights no longer flicker between the three settings. Brian at Sequential was very helpful in telling me the steps and shipping out the new board. Definitely worth the swap. Pictured is my original main board and the new one right before I installed it.
Pro 3, P6