baffling mod sources: noise and dc offset

baffling mod sources: noise and dc offset
« on: April 28, 2020, 03:59:20 AM »
Hello
ok I know what noise and dc offset are but their appearance as mod sources is baffling as they are not mentioned at all
elsewhere as features. I thought it might be more copy paste anomalies from other synths but its in the soundtower edtior
and so on. I can find no explanation of the source of these. Someone on a gs thread complained about the lack of a free
standing noise source which is correct. However I assumed you were expected to give up an instrument to use one of the noise source samples in there for the usual noise in the mixer function. That does not help explain my problem. Where is the noise in the mod source coming from? Is it a secret one in the machine we are not allowed or simply taken from a factory sample of noise. ? As for the dc offset- where is that coming from ? Are the dc offset and noise being jointly derived from some aspect of the power supply as I think some power supplies although designed to have low noise have simulation to produce noise which is connected to the dc offset. Besides all this it would be helpful to know how to  make best use of this as a mod source.?
Sam

Re: baffling mod sources: noise and dc offset
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:17:08 AM »

Hi,

both are created digitally in the modulation matrix as from a chip. Its not Voltage offset nor Audio Noise from electronics pr psu. The noise source is usefull tho bring instability(randomness) to some destinations.
DC is just a direct source to make the mod matrix work you can control left and right filter with it, since the Px has some uses of other synths are not needed.

Hope this helps,

Martin