Audio pops/crackles from Pro-3

Sonic Neutronic

• All about the 70s/80s Horror sound
Audio pops/crackles from Pro-3
« on: April 27, 2020, 08:29:40 AM »
I have been putting out some horror type audio cues lately on Youtube, and started to notice Audio Crackles/pops in the recordings which I initially thought was my monitors, then spent time working on the audio interface etc to try and eliminate. etc but couldn't.

I finally plugged headphones directly into the Pro-3 and I notice them there too. They can sometimes be triggered by lightly moving the filter (P6 filter)
Has anyone else noticed these?
They are not always there on every patch, but some do for sure on my unit as I can hear them in the headphones plugged directly very clearly.

You can hear them in this video with monitors/headphones.
Around the 21, 22, 23 seconds mark it can be heard + more throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7g1xnNeSpc

Prophet 5 Rev 4

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
Re: Audio pops/crackles from Pro-3
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
Yes, I've noticed it too - small distortion crackles when I play.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the OSC 3.

Try patch U3 P1 - turn down OSC 1 & 2 and  turn OSC 3 up to maximum - crackles?

Mine does.

P.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »
This is a known bug on the latest BETA OS wherein small clicks/pops are heard when the FX are active.  We should have an updated OS available in the next few days.  Sorry for any inconvenience!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

Sonic Neutronic

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »
Yes I do actually. Osc 3 seems to be doing it.

Try F5 P2 Horn Section.
Same thing, turn Osc 1 and 2 down, and then play a relatively high note, and tweak the filter.
I get lots of crackle from that. Either through my interface, or headphones plugged directly into front of unit.
Prophet 5 Rev 4

Sonic Neutronic

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 10:39:53 AM »
This is a known bug on the latest BETA OS wherein small clicks/pops are heard when the FX are active.  We should have an updated OS available in the next few days.  Sorry for any inconvenience!

Actually that's no problem at all, and thanks for letting us know. SPLENDID!

Just glad to hear its not something in my setup driving me crazy trying to find.. lol
Prophet 5 Rev 4

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »
Had this too, think it is just clipping the effects stage, happened after last update.

Thanks for for being so pro active on the updates, this is fast becoming my fav synth ever.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »

Hi Everyone, first post here whilst also first Sequential instrument. So let me first salute the entire community here! It feels like a great place to be and learn about the instrument.

I absolutely love my Pro3 so far. The sound I'm getting out of the synth is really another level. However, with that being said, unfortunately I'm also experiencing the same crackles/distortions problem that were addressed on this tread some time ago. And even after successfully updating to firmware version 1.1.0 which is still the latest version as I can see.

So my questions is, was this problem fixed since the discussion here or it's still something that is about to be fixed in a future update? I'm wondering if I should be addressing the problem at my unit specifically or this is still a known bug. 

As an example, I'm attaching an Mp3 320kbps file where I'm playing with the factory Preset F8 - P37 - Monoko and the only value I'm changing is the FX mix parameter on the FX2 slot. Which is using the Super Plate reverb as part of the original preset. So the increasing value is from 7 (preset default) to around 104 which you're hearing in the audio example toward the end. Whilst the crackles are happening at just above 60 dry/wet signal and it goes worse with further increasing of the parameter. The first crackles are appearing at around 18 seconds in the recording whilst at around 01:24 is getting much more obvious and it only goes worse after that. 

Also please note that this is just an example. I'm getting this sort of crackles/distortions on many of the other factory presets when driving the delay/feedback/time parameters to somewhat more than an average level on any of the time based FXs and on any of the FX slots. Including Flanger and Phaser as well. 

Hopefully someone can offer a solution to this problem. I'd really prefer not to be returning the unit as it's really an amazing piece of gear otherwise.

Thanks,
Saso

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »
I expirienced a similar issue with crackling in the effects, but it dissapeared magically by itself.
Donīt know if its permanently gone...

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 06:15:12 AM »
I expirienced a similar issue with crackling in the effects, but it dissapeared magically by itself.
Donīt know if its permanently gone...

Thanks for getting back on this sharing your experience. Can you recall if you perhaps updated the firmware or did any changes in the global settings which might be the reason for the crackling issue to disappear? 

Today I also noticed that the glide button automatically engaged a few times while I was playing the keyboard without me pressing the button or activating it from the menu. Another thing I'm noticing is that the screen sometimes jumps to another page out of a sudden without me having interacting with any parameters. Again, this is all happening on the latest firmware - 1.1.0.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
No I did not do any changes, I just rebooted the device.
Issues with the parameters I had as well. I changed the settings to "passtruh", than it does not happen I guess they are just to sensitive. My Unit freezes sometimes and does not wake up from standby, but this is a bug as the support said.

Im also running 1.1.0

Have you talked to the support?
They are usually pretty quick an helpfull. Also they are happy about any bug reports.

If you hit them up please let us know if its a bug or something more serious.