New to DSI. What could I expect from the OB6 in relation to...

OceanMachine

Re: New to DSI. What could I expect from the OB6 in relation to...
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »
Just an FYI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyCcbmK8Vk

P.S. It should also be noted that the Emulator II has analog filters and many users claim that it has a distinct character of its own. Lastly, it can hardly be said that the thread is being taken off the rails; rather its purpose has already concluded.

LPF83

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
Just an FYI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyCcbmK8Vk

Thanks for the vid.  Back in the 80s I used to watch just about anything I could find about DM, and I don't remember where (on VHS no less) I saw that one originally, but do recall seeing it.  He has confirmed the recording of fire extinguishers is an key component to the DM sound. :)  But less tongue in cheek, he regularly talked about how important it was for their live shows because of the propensity of analog instruments to behave unpredictably on stage.

P.S. It should also be noted that the Emulator II has analog filters and many users claim that it has a distinct character of its own. Lastly, it can hardly be said that the thread is being taken off the rails; rather its purpose has already concluded.

I definitely thought they had their own character -- they were highly coveted (and expensive) in that day and I can remember wishing my Roland samplers at the time were as good.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 02:15:35 PM »
Honestly what's your point in bringing up any era of DM in regard to the REV2? Also, it sounds like you're saying they sampled analog synths... I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt in that you meant run samples through an analog filter, but your last statement disregards that since you think the Emulator II is unnecessary these days. If that's the case then any kid with a laptop nowadays has a better shot at recreating DM & your REV2 is unnecessary.

Regardless, the entire debate is a moot since the OP made their choice.

Wasn't bashing an Emulator II, just pointing out that it's merely a sampler (with a great sound library) and we have other options these days, and that Alan Wilder was primarily sampling analog instruments with it.  We are talking about days when the mere STORAGE of samples was a challenge on gear of the era due to space.  But agreed with you that we shouldn't take the thread too far in another direction -- I would have never guessed we'd end up here on Prophet Xs and Emulator IIs..

Actually Alan Wilder was not sampling analog instruments with the EII. A lot of those sounds are samples of Marcato Strings, Choirs, Guitars etc but run through effects and modulated. I imported a bunch of EII samples into my Prophet X recently and found a bunch of their sounds.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
Lastly, it can hardly be said that the thread is being taken off the rails; rather its purpose has already concluded.

And that's reason enough to start a new thread.

OceanMachine

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2020, 02:35:10 PM »
The official DM thread?  ;D

https://youtu.be/NCW5HL9ZazA?t=524

LPF83

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
Actually Alan Wilder was not sampling analog instruments with the EII. A lot of those sounds are samples of Marcato Strings, Choirs, Guitars etc but run through effects and modulated. I imported a bunch of EII samples into my Prophet X recently and found a bunch of their sounds.

I'd be interested in any links to conclusively substantiate you might have that they did no analog sampling.  It would be contrary to what I've heard them discuss in interviews back in the day, but hey if they bent the truth, then they did.  It wouldn't surprise me if they did a lot with factory defaults or the sound sets available at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDgvvuRXtzc
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
I'm not sure who the OB-6 moderator is, but maybe you guys should start a new thread, just to keep things organized.  Folks will never know such a discussion is in this thread.

LoboLives

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 11:41:38 PM »

I'd be interested in any links to conclusively substantiate you might have that they did no analog sampling.  It would be contrary to what I've heard them discuss in interviews back in the day, but hey if they bent the truth, then they did.  It wouldn't surprise me if they did a lot with factory defaults or the sound sets available at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDgvvuRXtzc

Any analog sampling they did was likely from synths that didn’t have patch memory but I can’t find any examples of this. The analog sounds on their albums came from actual analog synths. Most of the sampling they did was of sampling various sounds they would do themselves (pots and pans, hammers etc) but most of the iconic DM sounds you hear from the EII are from factory discs from Emu. Enjoy The Silence is pretty much 90% EII Factory sounds (guitar, brass, strings, choir)

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
LFOs are easy to add. I can add 100 of them to the OB-6. All it takes is having the synth connected to something on a network, wifi or bluetooth, and an iPhone.

Even easier: CodeKnobs VST for the OB-6 on my PC and throw infinite LFOs on there, and they’ll use NRPN etc.

“1 LFO” is only a limitation if you let it be.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:03:16 PM by djs123 »