Cutoff knob not working right...

Cutoff knob not working right...
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:05:58 PM »
Ive noticed when I turn the cutoff nob there is a major delay.. and it very slowly starts catching up to where i set it. Any one else having this issue?

Re: Cutoff knob not working right...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »
Are we talking keyboard model here? Is there MIDI involved? Some information on the set up would help people diagnose.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 08:34:28 PM »
Are we talking keyboard model here? Is there MIDI involved? Some information on the set up would help people diagnose.

Ah yes, true. Yeah its the keyboard version. 8 voice. Midi going into my daw. It's never acted like this before.

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 04:41:19 AM »
Just to exclude the obvious: does it still happen if you remove the midi connection to your DAW?

--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »
It seems that I have the exact same problem: cutoff knob and lfo-amount knob no longer work properly, the reaction is extremely delayed, a smooth turn of the knob results in slow or unpredictable parameter changes.
I am not sure whether it is a software-based problem or the two knobs are physically damaged, as the corresponding parameters can still be controlled via the value knob.

I am using the latest firmware and have recalibrated the synth several times, no midi signals or expression pedals were involved.

Has anyone found a solution yet? A support ticket is probably the best idea ...

CPN37

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 01:28:33 AM »
It seems that I have the exact same problem: cutoff knob and lfo-amount knob no longer work properly, the reaction is extremely delayed, a smooth turn of the knob results in slow or unpredictable parameter changes.
I am not sure whether it is a software-based problem or the two knobs are physically damaged, as the corresponding parameters can still be controlled via the value knob.

I am using the latest firmware and have recalibrated the synth several times, no midi signals or expression pedals were involved.

Which Pot Mode are you using?
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 11:50:09 AM »
Pot Mode is relative. I am in contact with sequential but the recommendations for solving the problem have not worked so far. I will keep you up to date

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »
Pot Mode is relative. I am in contact with sequential but the recommendations for solving the problem have not worked so far. I will keep you up to date

I still havent fixed my issue either. They said I should take apart the chip and send to them to fix the knob issue. I just dread doing something like that. Is my unit going to be useless during the time it takes for them to repair it?

let me know if you figure out a different way to fix this..

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 03:04:35 PM »
I see that so far post #3 has been ignored, but I'm betting the issue is simply that when you have it attached to DAW, it is reflecting MIDI back too slowly, so your parameter changes (not just filter cutoff) are constantly being moved back from where Rev2 thinks they should be, making it appear that they are going back and forth to some degree. If so, this is not an issue with your Rev2, and you have to design your workflow to deal with this limitation of MIDI protocol.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 09:29:20 AM »

Just wondering whether you guys have the problem fixed? I am having the similar situation here... I am running my Rev2 through an audio interface using TS cables to DAW (logic).

The CUTOFF knob is randomly delayed or sometimes just running on its own without me turning it or any of the knobs. But if I tune "cutoff" with the value knob it works fine. So I guess the problem lies in the CUTOFF knob.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »
sorry guys, i forgot to report:

After a conversation with Sequential we found out that the problem is caused by two broken potentiometers.
Sequential sent me two new potentiometers for free - which is very friendly - and detailed instructions on how to replace them. However, some soldering skills are required for this and I'm afraid that you can do a lot wrong on the circuit boards ...  and I am currently still looking for a trustworthy electronics repair shop.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 12:08:58 AM »
sorry guys, i forgot to report:

After a conversation with Sequential we found out that the problem is caused by two broken potentiometers.
Sequential sent me two new potentiometers for free - which is very friendly - and detailed instructions on how to replace them. However, some soldering skills are required for this and I'm afraid that you can do a lot wrong on the circuit boards ...  and I am currently still looking for a trustworthy electronics repair shop.

Yeah I have also inquired Sequential and here is the reply they gave me:

"For pots that change values on their own, the first thing to try is to turn the pot across its full range of travel 50-100 times. Next, set the pot to its minimum or maximum setting and check whether the value changes on its own. If it does not, set the pot to its midpoint and check again.
if the pot continues to change values on its own after that test, it is an indication that the pot needs to be replaced."

So I did the test and my pot needs to be replaced. Sequential gave me two options:
1. Open up the Rev2, get the panel board out, and send the panel board alone to Sequential. They can swap out the pot and send back the panel board for me.
2. Sequential can send me a new pot. I can either do the soldering myself or find an electronic repair shop to do that. It should be a quick procedure at the shop.

I am currently still waiting for the pot to arrive...