Pro 3 with DAW Hardware Intrument goes crazy

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
Pro 3 with DAW Hardware Intrument goes crazy
« on: April 25, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »
My Pro 3 with the latest BETA OS 1.0.2.3 does not play well with Bitwig Studio or Ableton Live when I create a Hardware Intrument with a "Program Change" midi message. I'm using USB as midi connection.

When I switch a preset with a Program Change command from a DAW the Pro 3 goes nuts. The sequencer in Pro 3 starts blinking like a christmas tree on crack and some crazy noises comes from the instrument. Sometimes it just freezes up completely. This happens every time when a preset have the Pro 3 sequencer running notes or automation automatically.

I've tried to disarm the track in the DAW to avoid midi feedback but it does not help. I think this is a midi feedback issue for sure but I'm unable to figure out what is causing this. For me it smells like a bug in the Pro 3. This only happens with Program Change message from DAW. It works like a charm when I play it standalone.

I was wondering if I'm the only one with this issue so I can return it before it's too late...I don't want to - so I'm really hoping this a firmware bug.

Is possible to roll back the firmware to see if that makes it better?

Current settings :

Midi Out : USB
Midi Clock : Slave s/s
Local : All off

P.

Re: Pro 3 with DAW Hardware Intrument goes crazy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 02:38:25 AM »
My Pro 3 with the latest BETA OS 1.0.2.3 does not play well with Bitwig Studio or Ableton Live when I create a Hardware Intrument with a "Program Change" midi message. I'm using USB as midi connection.

Works fine here, however I'm using DIN MIDI.
Here is how it looks in Bitwig, selecting U1/P5

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:41:39 AM by alexpen »

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 03:44:35 AM »
I’m assuming yr using USB , mine does the same, just freezes on the second note on if you are using gate mode.

Unusable in USB at the moment , in Ableton at least.

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 06:13:45 AM »
Ok, thanks guys.

I think I tried the DIN MIDI, I'm going to try that again to see if that's the case.

P.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
All these sound like they are related to a MIDI feedback loop.  Please remember to turn LOCAL CONTROL off when actively connected to and from a DAW or leave LOCAL CONTROL on and mute the MIDI track output to the synth in the DAW.

FWIW DAWs have started adding 'hardware instrument' tracks which combine MIDI and audio tracks into one monolithic track.  As such, you cannot simply mute the MIDI portion of the track without also muting audio.  If you use these types of tracks, you will need to set local control off.  If you would rather leave local control on, you will need to use a MIDI and an audio track in place of the hardware instrument track, and mute the MIDI track's output.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
Yes I thought midi loop, as it’s fine as soon as I unplug usb, but I have local off, it seems to freeze up whatever I do.

But if it’s working ok for others it must be something I’m doing. Just trouble shooting what. But I think I’ve run out of ideas.

I’m going to try again tonight. Thanks for all your hard work!

Oh
I am using Ableton’s instrument plugin , I’ll try it without, local is def off though.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:01:26 AM by h4ndcrafted »

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 11:08:12 AM »
Same here, mine does not funtion as it should ( Yes, the local is off and the track is disarmed ). It allways goes nuts when I swtich a patch (with program change MIDI message) that has a running sequence or automation built in the patch.

Doesn't matter if its connected  through USB or MIDI DIN.

I've multiple hardware synths connected and Pro 3 is the only one giving me backwards high five.

Looking forward for the next firmware update ;)

P.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »
If you are using Ableton, you also need to make sure to set the MIDI param send/receive to CC.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 03:46:42 PM »
Changing to CC fixed it partially, but still won’t change pitch in gated mode.

Sounds like a double trigger, as if the note from Ableton is playing first just before the first note in the pro 3s sequencer .

If I don’t leave a small gap between notes . I.e if I have legato note, I just get the sequencer lock up like this

https://youtu.be/cLrDZpxgrLo

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:48:52 PM by h4ndcrafted »

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 10:04:38 AM »
Same problems here with Ableton. Whatever I do I cannot use the synth with Ableton like this. I'm returning it, that's it.

Sounds like a double trigger, as if the note from Ableton is playing first just before the first note in the pro 3s sequencer .

If I don’t leave a small gap between notes . I.e if I have legato note, I just get the sequencer lock up like this

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 10:04:50 AM »
If you are using Ableton, you also need to make sure to set the MIDI param send/receive to CC.

Same problems here with Ableton. Whatever I do I cannot use the synth with Ableton like this. I'm returning it, that's it.

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 10:53:10 AM »
I understand your frustration, but they are fixing those issues and new beta firmware OS should be coming soon.

FYI I downgraded my firmware to version 1.0 and lot of the crazy bugs were no longer present, but onboard controls generate midi feedback loops in DAW (Filter Cutoff, etc...) and sometimes I have switch it off and back on to get midi notes messages to the DAW.

That downgrade procedure gave me hope that this is all fixable, I could keep my Pro 3 and knowing that it's not a faulty unit ;)

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 11:53:02 AM »

A known feedback loop caused in gated mode has been fixed on the latest OS:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4216.0.html
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim