A new single mostly done with the Prophet X

A new single mostly done with the Prophet X
« on: April 25, 2020, 03:18:41 AM »
Tic Tic (my wife and I, that is) just released a new single from our upcoming album. Since this track happens to use the Prophet X extensively, I was hoping that was a valid excuse for posting it here.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6FPMM5QiVqKkB89whxFhlB

We first made it a couple of years ago, but struggled getting it to sound the way we wanted. Then, after I bought the PX, things just fell into place and we recorded it again using the Prophet for most of the synth parts. It was a huge improvement.

Re: A new single mostly done with the Prophet X
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 02:11:32 AM »
sounds good ! Nice
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »
sounds good ! Nice

Thanks for listening! Btw, I remember we struggled with the stereo image on it when mixing. The wide PX patches we used almost disappeared in mono. It sounded huge in stereo, but really bad in mono, so in the end we had to compromise. I made a mental note to remember to check that they work in mono whenever we create wide PX pads from now on.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 11:08:11 AM »
There's a fantastic series of YouTube videos from the FabFilter folks that covers the ins and outs of mixing in stereo with mono in mind.  Here's the first of three.  I can't recommend their tutorials enough, and I'm delighted with the plugins I've purchased from them as well.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:03:09 AM »
Wow, those were great. I went in expecting I already knew what they were going to talk about, but I learned a lot. I would think the mid/side EQ stuff he was doing in the third part will be particularly useful for getting some wide PX patches sit right in mixes. Made me want to do some experiments. (I will have to wait until my Cubase PC is back from repairs, though...)

Now I need to watch their other videos as well!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »
I didn't realize the forum software had turned my link into an inline video.  Oops!  Too late to edit it now, sadly.  I'm glad you enjoyed the video.  All of theirs that I've watched are full of brilliant tips, and if they're basically promotional content at least they're promoting solid products by sharing a lot of valuable information along the way.

I haven't yet picked up the analysis tools that they use at various points to measure phase cancellation, but they also look incredibly useful.