Best complement for a pro3 ?

Best complement for a pro3 ?
« on: April 22, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »
Hello everyone,

Simple question : should you add only one synth to a sequential Pro3, which one would you chose and why ?

Thank you for your feedback and ideas !

Cheers,

S.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:24:43 PM by synthury »

Re: Best complement for a pro3 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »
Well, without any price constraint, you can't go wrong with a Moog One. :)

But, assuming a price constraint of say $2000 - I would go for a Prophet Rev2 16-voice - It's the perfect complement in my opinion.

- Polyphonic 16 voices for all your harmony needs or giant unison patches
- Bi-timbral (two layers) for stacks, splits or nuanced sound layering
- Extensive mod matrix allows for advanced modulation / sound design
- Flexible arpeggiator and gated sequencer plus four LFOs and three Env per voice
- Built in stereo effects
- Great feeling Fatar keybed

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 01:21:44 PM »
Well, without any price constraint, you can't go wrong with a Moog One. :)

But, assuming a price constraint of say $2000 - I would go for a Prophet Rev2 16-voice - It's the perfect complement in my opinion.

- Polyphonic 16 voices for all your harmony needs or giant unison patches
- Bi-timbral (two layers) for stacks, splits or nuanced sound layering
- Extensive mod matrix allows for advanced modulation / sound design
- Flexible arpeggiator and gated sequencer plus four LFOs and three Env per voice
- Built in stereo effects
- Great feeling Fatar keybed
Mids also aren’t its strengths, which is a good thing if you want the Pro 3 to easily sit up front or handle bass.

But, depending on your music, there are other good options for that like a Blofeld or something that handles samples like a V-synth.

Sonic Neutronic

• All about the 70s/80s Horror sound
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 01:24:18 PM »
I would honestly wait a month or two and see what Sequential are planning for August, I have a feeling it will complement the Pro-3 rather nicely.....
Otherwise my choice would be the Prophet 6 because to my ear, it simply sounds the best.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:26:37 PM by Sonic Neutronic »
Prophet 5 Rev 4

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 11:39:23 PM »
Thank you for all your feed-backs.

I am not absolutely willing to stay in the sequential family with this new synth.

In fact my choices are as follow :

- Novation Summit or Peak
- Nord Wave 2
- ASM Hydrasynth
also on the list
- Prophet Rev2

But as I really want to stick to a single new synth the choice is...not easy...

Thanks for your advice.

S.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 08:58:11 PM »
Personally I'm really high on the Roland System 8 as the perfect compliment to analog gear. I can't articulate it exactly but once I get one after the pandemic I'll do a review on it. It's not a perfect piece of equipment but it has a unique voice I find when you use the System 8 engine whereas I find things like the Summit or HydraSynth are trying to emulate traditional analog sounds or traditional FM/Wavetable sounds...which is great but I find they don't really have their own voice from the demos I've heard.

For me the lack of sequencer on the Summit and HydraSynth (as well as the lack of bitimbrality on the HydraSynth) are strikes against it for me. That is of course just personal preference.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 03:53:25 AM »
I have mine paired with an OB-6 and they are so complimentary! Very happy indeed.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »
i use the Pro-3 with a Summit, an OB-6 and a Yamaha Montage. And all sounds very good together with the Pro-3.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
Thank you for all your feedback and suggestions.

I will go with the Novation Summit.

I will probably add a third piece later this year, waiting this fall to see what Dave will bring to the market.

The idea of a Prophet6 or a OB6 would be a great addition after that, but if a new Sequential poly hit the market until then...

Synth world is such an exciting world...

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »
A Korg Kronos pairs with EVERYTHING.  And will give you a decade or more of exploration and limitless tones.  Plus Pro3 sequencer locks right in via old school midi clock.

klstay

• Retired Old School Modular Duffer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »
I have pondered this exact question myself, but it appears from a slightly different angle. The design of this instrument is, unsurprisingly, brilliant. Would I love being able to parallel or series either low pass with the state variable? Would I love duophonic to go with that? Would I love a couple more CV ins or at least outs? Yes to all, but the immediacy of the layout and current feature set makes those wishes and not must haves.

The VCOs, filters, mod sources, easy and flexible routing, and effects are all very nice. However, for me it is the sequencer (along with the CV I/O) that elevates the Pro 3 above any other mono design available today at any price. I may well be the only one on this whole forum to feel this way, but I have zero interest in any polyphonic synth. (I do not consider "string machines" to be synths in this case)

So, as I have thought on this (and kept my wife from knowing of such thoughts) it comes down to what CV "friendly" monosynth  would I add to a Pro 3? The list so far is Dreadbox Erebus, Dreadbox Nyx, Behringer Neutron, and Behringer K-2. What other mono modules are there with comparable CV I/O?
If it cannot interface with modular, what good is it?

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 08:57:29 PM »
Would I love duophonic to go with that?

As of the 1.0.2.3 beta, you also get duophonic mode: just set Osc 3 to Low Freq.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 01:00:29 AM »
I teamed my Pro 3 up with a Korg Arp Odyssey.  It's a tower of power with 5 osc. and responds really well via cv/gate and using another cv output to control the filter via the pedal input.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 06:18:21 AM »
I’m going to add a P12 Module above the Pro 3.  Have been loving the sound of the Prophet 12 for a long time now, will be a hard edged sounding pair
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

klstay

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 09:35:40 AM »
As of the 1.0.2.3 beta, you also get duophonic mode: just set Osc 3 to Low Freq.

First, also from those patch notes, I would have preferred low note never stolen in paraphonic mode to be something the user can enable or disable. This is something ALMOST always wanted...

I would be surprised if this means two "full" voices instead of simply 2 note paraphonic. Oberheim 2 voice is the classic example of duophonic. The MatrixBrute can also do 2 voices/VCOs each with their own independent VCF/EG and VCA/EG. Contrasting these two awesome synths I feel indicates something about their primary designers.

The flexibility of the MB voice architecture (especially since the MUCH needed V2 update) generally means complexity for things so immediate on the Pro 3. Yves is an old school modular guy and it shows in the design. Dave's Prophet 5 is a landmark not just for the sound, but also because it so greatly reduced operational complexity compared to contemporary synths.

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 02:20:24 AM »
I would be surprised if this means two "full" voices instead of simply 2 note paraphonic.

Yeah, it's simply 2 note paraphonic.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 05:06:46 AM »
I would be surprised if this means two "full" voices instead of simply 2 note paraphonic.

Yeah, it's simply 2 note paraphonic.
It is but to clarify: So is the MatrixBrute more or less. The VCA that can be controlled with an EG on the MatrixBrute is at the Mixer stage. So you can have 2 VCOs with independent filters but they go through the same final VCA. If your patch works with the VCA being before the VCF you can use the MxB as a duophonic synth. But if you want a patch that uses a VCA after the VCF like with most subtractive synths then it's basically a paraphonic synth with 2 filters.

klstay

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 10:09:47 PM »
It is but to clarify: So is the MatrixBrute more or less. The VCA that can be controlled with an EG on the MatrixBrute is at the Mixer stage. So you can have 2 VCOs with independent filters but they go through the same final VCA. If your patch works with the VCA being before the VCF you can use the MxB as a duophonic synth. But if you want a patch that uses a VCA after the VCF like with most subtractive synths then it's basically a paraphonic synth with 2 filters.

This is not the case in Duo Split mode. VCO1 & VCO2 route through VCF1 controlled by EG1 then VCA1 controlled by EG2 then on to effects. VCO3 routes through VCF2 controlled by EG3 then "hidden" VCA2 (only accessible in this mode) also controlled by EG3 then on to effects. With the V2 firmware the ability to "draw" LFO shapes brings the possibility of using that as an AD/AR envelope to have a "dedicated" envelope each for VCF and VCA on the VCO3 path instead of EG3 for both.

Bad Brian

• Baller
    • NuBeat Productions
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 09:26:07 AM »
Hello everyone,

Simple question : should you add only one synth to a sequential Pro3, which one would you chose and why ?

Thank you for your feedback and ideas !

Cheers,

S.

I’ve pondered this as well .... I have mine sitting above my old trusty Juno-106 and they sound like long lost friends.  I would like to add a hybrid or digital option to round out these two.  Too much of a newb to get into all the CV connectivity yet.  I’m gonna keep diving to figure the last piece for them. I think it would be better for me to wait so my opinion is at least half educated. 
Sequential Pro 3 SE, Roland Juno-106, Behringer Model D, Moog Apps, Roland Space Echo RE-20, Alesis HR:16B, Roland SPD-SX

But I'm a drummer

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 01:10:37 PM »
I just added a Prophet 12 Keyboard to my Pro 3 yesterday!  Such a perfect compliment to the Pro 3
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com