Can pads be mapped to individual midi notes in DAW?

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
Can pads be mapped to individual midi notes in DAW?
« on: April 17, 2020, 04:10:34 PM »
Thinking of buying a Tempest but curious if the 16 pads can be mapped to transmit midi as individual notes in a DAW (Logic)

For instance a kick on one pad on C3, a snare on another pad on C4, and so on?

Basically I would like to play patterns on the pads and have that record in midi notes in logic and then be able to move the midi notes around in Logic as I wish after Im done recording my playing?

Is this type of workflow possible? 

Thanks!
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Re: Can pads be mapped to individual midi notes in DAW?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
Hi,

Yes you can do that on Tempest.
You will have to set up the option via the "System" menu and select "Remote Pad out channel" on one Midi channel only.
Then you can select the Pad on Tempest to a Midi note number to output also via the same page in settings.

Hope that helps.

Tim

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:08:36 PM by timbo74 »
Tim

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 10:01:05 PM »
Tim, thank you!  Yes that absolutely helps   :) I’ve really been wanting to buy a Tempest for quite a long time and as long the midi workflow I am trying to accomplish with it is possible then I am super excited to get one. 

I am so obsessed with all. DSI/Sequential gear.  The Pro 3 has knocked my socks off all day, I need a Tempest now!
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 12:29:06 AM »
Happy to Help!  :)
Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 12:29:24 AM »
Welcome S Y Z Y G Y X!
Trust me there’s nothing out there like it ;)
Tim, thank you!  Yes that absolutely helps   :) I’ve really been wanting to buy a Tempest for quite a long time and as long the midi workflow I am trying to accomplish with it is possible then I am super excited to get one. 

I am so obsessed with all. DSI/Sequential gear.  The Pro 3 has knocked my socks off all day, I need a Tempest now!

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 07:16:52 AM »
Thanks Tim and Yorgos  :D  Happy to be here!  Hope everyone is staying safe and things are ok in Greece?  We were playing shows in Europe right as the virus got bad and made it back to states 30 minutes before travel ban went in effect.  Fortunate are we who are healthy and with music gear to pass the time!

www.syzygyxmusic.com

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:19:57 AM »
Not relevant to your post, but when I saw that SYZYGYX posted I just had to jump in and say I love your band!   :D

There's a number of goth/industrial people here around Boston that are into your stuff, so hopefully you can tour back around here when all this quarantining is over. Glad to see you're using the Tempest, stay safe and keep making great music!

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 06:09:43 AM »
Hey Adam, thanks man!  Yeah we can’t wait to get to Boston to play a show.  Have a friend up there one of our label mates, Moris Blak.  His music is pretty kick ass if you haven’t heard of him.  When this damn virus is past us we will try to do a show with him in Boston. 

We don’t actually have a Tempest yet, I just bought a Pro 3 and was just looking to buy another DSI/Sequential piece and the Tempest seems pretty awesome.  So I’m trying to decide between either Tempest, Prophet X, or OB-6. 

Thanks for your kind words, Luna and I hope you’re doing well and stay safe and we hope to meet you soon in Boston when this crap is over!

www.syzygyxmusic.com

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 07:05:03 AM »
Brian's a friend of mine and our bands have done a bunch of shows up here together! I actually just did a remix of the Moris Blak track Pain for him, and later this week I'm recording some guitar for a new thing he's doing. Very small world, lol. I'll definitely make it out to a show next time you're both up here!

Tempest vs Prophet X vs OB-6 is a pretty diverse decision and it depends what you're looking for. The workflow and engine of the Tempest make it really unique compared to other synths (the only thing kinda similar is the Elektron Analog Four). It's got its strengths and weaknesses like all machines do, but overall it's a great sounding & fun to program synth that rewards you the more you work with it.