Keygroups or Single Key Settings (AFX Mode) ?

Keygroups or Single Key Settings (AFX Mode) ?
« on: April 13, 2020, 06:07:15 PM »
Dear Sequential Team, fellow Prophet Users
I love the new firmware and I had some thought about additional features. It would’ve be nice to see a Keygroup or Split Mode like on the Prophet 2000/3000 where you can have different Envelopes/VCA/VCF Settings for different Zones of Samples or even for all parameters per key. Novation has implemented something like this in a very clever way and marketing it as „AFX Mode“ (Aphex Twin).
It would massively improve the capabilities/expressiveres of the Prophet X/XL if implemented in a new firmware.

See example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3t857OI7o

Another feature which all polyphonic Prophets would benefit from would be a MPE Mode which would basically assign each voice to its own midi channel. So the Prophet could be played expressive with the Linnstrument/Seaboard/Continuum and all the other new MPE controllers.

.... thanks for building such a nice synthesizer/sampler again. I love the Prophet 2000, Emulator III and Studio 440 for their combination of sampling and analog synthesis and with just some small additions the Prophet X/XL could become my all time favorite!

Just my 5 Cent  :)

LoboLives

Re: Keygroups or Single Key Settings (AFX Mode) ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »
Dear Sequential Team, fellow Prophet Users
I love the new firmware and I had some thought about additional features. It would’ve be nice to see a Keygroup or Split Mode like on the Prophet 2000/3000 where you can have different Envelopes/VCA/VCF Settings for different Zones of Samples or even for all parameters per key. Novation has implemented something like this in a very clever way and marketing it as „AFX Mode“ (Aphex Twin).
It would massively improve the capabilities/expressiveres of the Prophet X/XL if implemented in a new firmware.

See example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3t857OI7o

I highly doubt we will see this but I personally would absolutely love for this to happen as well. The only issue I could see is the sequencer/arppegiator getting confused.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:54:03 PM »
It would also make it possible to build your own „analog drum kits“ even with just a noise or cymbal wave sample and the OSC.
I think the Effects and arp+sequences should stay like they already are.
 Just in addition a kind of special mapping mode or a special „drum or AFX Mode“ where the parameters for the synthesis section should be adjustable „per key“ or even better per „key group“ or „range“. If you have a multisample of drum sounds loaded in one of the Instruments you could then adjust the synthesis parameters according to each sound of the samples of the Instrument and play the drums much more dynamically too. For example a Bassdrum needs a different VCA/VCF setting and envelopes then a HiHat or a Snare sample. Or imagine programming different Waves or Intervals for the Oscillators per key etc.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »
It would also make it possible to build your own „analog drum kits“ even with just a noise or cymbal wave sample and the OSC.
 Just in addition a kind of special mapping mode or a special „drum or AFX Mode“ where the parameters for the synthesis section should be adjustable „per key“ or even better per „key group“ or „range“. If you have a multisample of drum sounds loaded in one of the Instruments you could then adjust the synthesis parameters according to each sound of the samples of the Instrument and play the drums much more dynamically too. For example a Bassdrum needs a different VCA/VCF setting and envelopes then a HiHat or a Snare sample. Or imagine programming different Waves or Intervals for the Oscillators per key etc.

The issue with drum kits custom or otherwise is what good are they without a good sequencer/arpeggiator. Something that would have been cool was the ability to have each oscillator/instrument have it's own sequence going. I guess that falls into workstation territory but still.

J_P_P

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 04:34:02 PM »

The issue with drum kits custom or otherwise is what good are they without a good sequencer/arpeggiator. Something that would have been cool was the ability to have each oscillator/instrument have it's own sequence going. I guess that falls into workstation territory but still.

The 2 things that bother me most about the Prophet X are:

- Sequencer...very basic...it would really be great if it had a better / more features .

- Samples...The representaion of the Samples as it it is...is rather basic and not satisfactory IMO. It really "needs" a proper Sample / Wave visualzization.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 10:09:04 PM »

- Sequencer...very basic...it would really be great if it had a better / more features .

- Samples...The representaion of the Samples as it it is...is rather basic and not satisfactory IMO. It really "needs" a proper Sample / Wave visualzization.

I mean the Sequencer is the mostly the same poly sequencer found on the P6, REV2,and OB6. If more features are required then that would be the duty of an external sequencer that's more advanced.

As far as sample representation. That's what the SampleRobot software is for. Much better to do any fine tuning of samples on a computer screen and use the PX's sample altering abilities as more sound manipulation tools and almost a performance type technique rather than any fine tooth comb work.

J_P_P

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 05:24:04 AM »

I mean the Sequencer is the mostly the same poly sequencer found on the P6, REV2,and OB6. If more features are required then that would be the duty of an external sequencer that's more advanced.

As far as sample representation. That's what the SampleRobot software is for. Much better to do any fine tuning of samples on a computer screen and use the PX's sample altering abilities as more sound manipulation tools and almost a performance type technique rather than any fine tooth comb work.

I mean visualize the Sample wave , insteead of just that graph of 1....1000. That would be extremely useful, IMO, not as sound "edit" like in SampleRobot or simialr,,  but for real time sound "manipulation", Start / End Points etc. That would be great.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:26:48 AM by J_P_P »