OB-6 vs Prophet Rev2

LPF83

OB-6 vs Prophet Rev2
« on: April 12, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
I have both an OB-6 and Prophet Rev2, and I noticed something interesting today:  Starting from an init patch on both, mix both OSCs, put a reverse saw LFO on the cutoff and adjust to create a sweeping effect, and generally try to get a fat "dohwww" bass sound that sounds similar on both.  The OB-6 just comes out of the gate with a lot richer harmonics and noticably more character in the filter.  The Rev2 takes a lot of tweaking but can get to almost the same amount of warmth, and with about 5 times the effort can sound surprisingly similar to the OB-6.

However, as I play that sound lower and lower, the harmonics start to fade from the OB-6 bass -- the low frequencies just become inaudible and you hear more crackling of the filter than anything else.  The Rev2 can go about a full octave lower before the bass patch becomes unusable, it holds its warmth better across a longer range.

My question is --- is this characteristic of the difference in Curtis vs. SEM filters?  Or is it more of a DCO / VCO thing?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:06:21 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: OB-6 vs Prophet Rev2
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »
Definitely filter related.
DCO and VCO are both analog oscillators. It's just that their frequency is controlled differently.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:27:31 PM »
Actually, what you describe to me is more a DCO vs VCO thing as far as 'low octaves retaining clarity'. My JX-3P always sounded clearer than my VCO synths on the low end.... HOWEVER, it's not a good or bad thing, the benefits from the VCO's natural drift and non phase locked tone is worth way more than a 'solid' but somewhat plastic/fake sounding 'locked' DCO on the low octaves.

The filter on the OB-6 is also 1000x nicer than the Rev 2 (had one so I know), OB-6 has one of the world's most revered filters, esp among modern synths, while the Rev2 has one of the world's most despised filters (or.. at least lets say "marmite" filters but I'm NO fan of those curtis chips).

Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 05:49:49 PM »
Actually, what you describe to me is more a DCO vs VCO thing as far as 'low octaves retaining clarity'. My JX-3P always sounded clearer than my VCO synths on the low end.... HOWEVER, it's not a good or bad thing, the benefits from the VCO's natural drift and non phase locked tone is worth way more than a 'solid' but somewhat plastic/fake sounding 'locked' DCO on the low octaves.

The filter on the OB-6 is also 1000x nicer than the Rev 2 (had one so I know), OB-6 has one of the world's most revered filters, esp among modern synths, while the Rev2 has one of the world's most despised filters (or.. at least lets say "marmite" filters but I'm NO fan of those curtis chips).

I adore both synths.  The OB-6 has a big workflow advantage in that you just start tweaking and it sounds so good.  But it's harmonic richness has a more limited range than the Rev 2 and it is not even a fair fight in a stacked 2-layer sound taking advantage of 8 voices per layer on the Rev 2 with long release times.  Plus all the crazy modulation capability of the Rev 2.  I agree the OB-6 filter has a lot more character.  Rev 2 seems to sit in a mix so well at all times.  OB-6 is so instantly approachable.

Having the Rev 2 with two 8-voice sounds split (my typical config), and the OB-6 available is so much fun and I feel lucky to have both!  I'm planning to add an OB-6 desktop to compliment my existing keyboard model -- not for poly-chaining specifically but just to be able to play 2 distinct OB-6s at once since they are great for lead sounds.  I already have two 8-voice Prophets in the Rev 2, so my OB-6 needs a twin to round things out :-)

Look up the Luke Neptune youtube vids where he does recreations of specific film soundtrack sounds on all three synths: OB-6, Prophet 6, Prophet Rev2.   It really showcases examples of how each of them excel at something different.

Also curious if you've checked this out https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3449.0.html?
With a few mod matrix tricks you can get the DCO oscillators sounding very VCO
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:56:01 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 05:48:10 PM »
Update.. I'm finding both of these synths to be indispensable, and it is the combination of the two that make them the core of my studio these days.  But they have such different purposes.  The OB-6 has this harmonic profile combined with workflow simplicity that make my fingers gravitate toward it.  I get these fat basses out of it that are just filthy fucking rich.  And many other sounds are similarly endowed, pushing everything else balls to the wall when given the EQ freedom to do so. 

But then when I start building that into a track, the Rev2 starts to come into it's own.  So many of the sounds, even factory, sit so well in the mix, whereas trying to re-record the OB-6 over itself seems to often be too much of a good thing -- it can get muddy because it oozes such a fat timbre with every note unless time is spent taming, where pulling up patch after patch in the Rev2 just sits right.

There are a couple of vids here, set at a specific time playing the famous John Carpenter Halloween theme that I think shows the strengths of two different but wonderful analog synths.  Listen to the growl of the filter on the OB6, and the clarity and emotion coming through on the Rev2!   Just brillant combination.

https://youtu.be/hAU-80ReCag?t=22
https://youtu.be/e9XQGQZgBNg?t=23

My biggest dilemma is not knowing whether a second OB6 or a Prophet6 should be my next addition.  Based on the experience I have with each now a Prophet 6 might work into my music a bit better.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 09:20:41 AM »
I tried both these synths in the store (on my own headphones) and left with the OB6. I wanted the Rev 2 because on paper, it has more features. I wasn't prepared for how much more 3D the OB6 would sound.
I'd also say that the OB just handles low end differently due to the different filters. The Oberheim growl on low notes is a well known and loved characteristic of that filter, and osc combo.
For them to get a solid/tight sub low sound they would have to engineer out that growl.

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 06:08:57 PM »
I tried both these synths in the store (on my own headphones) and left with the OB6. I wanted the Rev 2 because on paper, it has more features. I wasn't prepared for how much more 3D the OB6 would sound.
I'd also say that the OB just handles low end differently due to the different filters. The Oberheim growl on low notes is a well known and loved characteristic of that filter, and osc combo.
For them to get a solid/tight sub low sound they would have to engineer out that growl.

I love that growl of the OB6, one reason I got it :).  That "fizz" the accommodates the upper notes turns into a demonic burble down low...   If a tighter bass is desired, I think the Prophet 6 is a little better at that.  They both have the Rev2 beat when it comes to bass I think.  The filter on the OB66 gives some sounds a certain formant sound that I haven't been able to duplicate on the P6, one reason I like the OB6 for leads sometimes, bass for other times, occasionally an intriguing arp sound.
For strings, pads, vox type sounds, I love the Rev 2 and the modulation options are hard to beat.   Right now I'm using the Strymon BigSky on the Rev2 -- its the perfect combination and pushes the Rev2 even farther into territory untouched by others.