OB-6 and PolyAT

OB-6 and PolyAT
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:38:31 AM »
One of the things I absolutely love about DSI products is Dave's acknowledgment of Polyphonic (Key) Aftertouch. I have a VAX77 MIDI Controller that transmits PolyAT and I am having an absolute blast with it- I have always wanted an Oberheim synth that responds to PolyAT. One thing I have noticed, it seems LFO AMT responds "monophonically" with equal changes on all keys held; I am going to assume there is a single "master" LFO on the OB-6 as opposed to a separate LFO on each voice card. Has anyone else noticed this?

Re: OB-6 and PolyAT
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:43:29 AM »
One of the things I absolutely love about DSI products is Dave's acknowledgment of Polyphonic (Key) Aftertouch. I have a VAX77 MIDI Controller that transmits PolyAT and I am having an absolute blast with it- I have always wanted an Oberheim synth that responds to PolyAT. One thing I have noticed, it seems LFO AMT responds "monophonically" with equal changes on all keys held; I am going to assume there is a single "master" LFO on the OB-6 as opposed to a separate LFO on each voice card. Has anyone else noticed this?

The LFO intensity is global so to speak, yes. That's just like on the Prophet-6. You'll find the polyphonic modulation parameters in the X-Mod section.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »
The LFO intensity is global so to speak, yes. That's just like on the Prophet-6. You'll find the polyphonic modulation parameters in the X-Mod section.
Ah, that's what I thought. I admit I have been too busy playing in the first week or two to even consider reading the manual. An incredibly fun thing to do is route PolyAT to VCO2 and setting Amount so that maximum PolyAT creates a 4th or a 5th interval bend- it just sounds ridiculously amazing when you can bend an individual note in a chord- way beyond any steel guitar effect.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
It would be great if they could add support for Roli/Linnstrument type controllers. A true voice per channel mode where polyphonic pitch bend and individual LFO per voice worked. Yes, that would be great indeed. 
(2) P6 Desktops, Prophet VS Rack, P10 Desktop, OB6 Desktop

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »
It would be great if they could add support for Roli/Linnstrument type controllers. A true voice per channel mode where polyphonic pitch bend and individual LFO per voice worked. Yes, that would be great indeed.

I really wanted this for my Prophet 12, even filed a support ticket for it. So far they haven't closed the issue as "won't fix", but I would understand if they never get around to it... Prophet 12 controlled with my Linnstrument would be my dream synth.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:15:36 AM »

That would be a great idea!
I do not think it would be difficult to implement, interface-wise. It could be an option in the global settings under MIDI-channel. After you have scrolled through 1-16 the last option could be mpe, where voice 1 is assigned to channel 1, voice 2 to channel 2 and so on.
Then you can play it with the Linnstrument as a guitar with 6 voices.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:42:03 AM »
 I would hope for this across the entire line, as I own a P12, P6, & have an OB6 module on order.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
Maybe some more people should contact DSI support asking for this enhancement in their poly instruments? I'm not sure how much weight they put into forum chatter when considering things, but if they get enough official requests they may consider it. Also now that they collaborated with Roger on the Tempest firmware update, maybe they can also work out support for Linnstrument and other MPE controllers.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 11:55:32 PM »
I would hope for this across the entire line, as I own a P12, P6, & have an OB6 module on order.

Me too as a P12 owner. I'm sure if enough people show interest they will consider it.
I think Airsnore looks very interesting and effective.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:41:44 AM »
Check your owner's manuals, boys and girls ;)
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »
From the OB-6 manual.....
Aftertouch is a performance feature that allows you to add modulation to a sound by applying additional pressure to a key after the key is already down. The greater the pressure applied, the more modulation is applied. The OB-6 provides monophonic (or “channel”) aftertouch, which means that applying pressure to any key within a chord will apply modulation to all notes currently held.

The Aftertouch section lets you choose the amount of modulation applied using aftertouch and which parameters are modulated (oscillator frequency, filter frequency, etc.). You can set either a positive or negative amount.

Can't believe you guys missed that...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Oops! Still thought you guys were discussing receiving poly AT on your DSI synth. We've discussed adding MPE support for Linnstrument/Roli type controllers. Although we have no plans to add this anytime soon it is a possibility in the future,  especially if more products are produced that would benefit from it.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:58:17 PM »
Oops! Still thought you guys were discussing receiving poly AT on your DSI synth. We've discussed adding MPE support for Linnstrument/Roli type controllers. Although we have no plans to add this anytime soon it is a possibility in the future,  especially if more products are produced that would benefit from it.

That's very cool news!

dslsynth

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 01:53:18 PM »

KMI QuNexus supports MPE like operation and KMI K-Board Pro 4 will do that too once its released.

So there are certainly other products out there that would benefit from MPE and/or multi-timbral support. Even 2D controllers such as QuNexus needs MPE or multi-timbral mode in order to support polyphonic pitch bends. Then add all the interesting applications possible with each voice being controlled separately. Multi-timbral mode generally needs mapping software for this to work but that is not a problem for some of us!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 10:22:32 AM »
+1 for MPE support on the OB-6. I have a Continuum and that combination would sound wonderful. Thanks. :-)
Can you feel it?

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 06:29:56 AM »
Please, Please add MPE support!