Simple -but important- feature request: envelope retriggering (always)

W07

Simple -but important- feature request: envelope retriggering (always)

I would like to ask for a feature request that's been hindering a lot of things I'm trying to do on the Pro3:

On for example the Sub37, you can set an envelope to always retrigger from the start, whenever you press a note. This is very handy for when example you try to play a slow, soft melody with a long attack time.

As it is now the envelopes react like with voice stealing, causing a sharp attack spike for every legato played note. Very annoying, I have to adapt my playing style and use reverb and delay to compensate for the untied notes.

You could put it as an extra option in the misc params: on (which is the current) off (no retrig), and all (always)

This would really benefit the range of this synth, and it seems like a quite easy fix!

jg666

Doesn’t the Key Modes tab give you this? I don’t have a Pro3 but have a Pro2 and on that you can set the key mode to LastR for example which would mean Last Note priority Retrigger.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
I haven’t looked for it on my Pro 3 yet but I’m certain there is a Key mode option on it as there is one on my Rev2
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Doesn’t the Key Modes tab give you this? I don’t have a Pro3 but have a Pro2 and on that you can set the key mode to LastR for example which would mean Last Note priority Retrigger.
There's a difference between retriggering and resetting the envelope. The Pro 3 retriggers it, as do most vintage synths. What W07 is asking for is actually resetting.

Resetting the envelope nulls out the current envelope state and starts the envelope from the null whereas retriggering starts the envelope relative to where the envelope currently is. For example if you have a long attack and reset the envelope it will close the envelope and start the long attack again. If you have the same long attack and retrigger the envelope the attack amount is added to the current state and you won't hear the envelope restart. Both are useful so having the options is helpful.

jg666

There's a difference between retriggering and resetting the envelope. The Pro 3 retriggers it, as do most vintage synths. What W07 is asking for is actually resetting.

Resetting the envelope nulls out the current envelope state and starts the envelope from the null whereas retriggering starts the envelope relative to where the envelope currently is. For example if you have a long attack and reset the envelope it will close the envelope and start the long attack again. If you have the same long attack and retrigger the envelope the attack amount is added to the current state and you won't hear the envelope restart. Both are useful so having the options is helpful.

Thanks for the explanation and apologies to the orignal poster for my misunderstanding :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

+1 for this request.

Useful in a variety of different sound design scenarios.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

+1. Just ran into this limitation, as well.

+1

Re: Simple -but important- feature request: envelope retriggering (always)
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 04:25:38 PM »
+1

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 05:55:58 PM »
+1

I ran into this limitation while programming the aux env to sweep the wavetables.

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 09:51:57 AM »
I'd love to see this per envelope personally (if possible). I'm spoilt with my Elektron A4 already doing this on a per envelope basis, makes for some interesting effects when playing legato but having a aux envelope still retriggering.
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

Pym

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »
I'll add it to my list to look into. Shouldn't be too difficult if I can find the time
Sequential

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
I'll add it to my list to look into. Shouldn't be too difficult if I can find the time

Tell me where to DoorDash the 6 pack...... ;)
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

W07

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 04:56:50 PM »
The sequencer being able to do slide notes ala 303 and being able to use the sequencer as a 5-track cv drum trigger out.
Full always retrigger mode for the envelopes

Some finetuning improvements on current features and internal levels.

All the rest is just a nice bonus, no priority.

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 05:12:34 AM »

Tell me where to DoorDash the 6 pack...... ;)

+1 on this.  Hmmm... if bribery works on Pym, I wonder what would really be enticing: Bottle of scotch? Mr. Porky’s Pork Scratchings? 5 gallon tub of Chubby Hubby? Just say the word. ;-)
Rev2, Pro3, OB-X8, Kronos, Summit, Hydrasynth, Subsequent37, Taurus III, Iridium, Opsix, Eurorack

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 07:55:12 PM »

"While you're in there..." ;D in no-retrigger mode, it would be nice if the envelopes reset to the decay stage rather than staying in sustain.  Normally this makes no difference (since the level has already reached the sustain point), but when velocity sensitivity is enabled, this gives a huge improvement in playability.  (As-is, except with very careful playing, you get clicky jumps between legato notes with velocity sensitivity on.)

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but seems better than starting a new one. Just got my Pro 3 yesterday! Very excited. First thing I did was test out the attack trigger reset as described by OP, guessing this hasn't been addressed? any plans to do so? Sorry if I'm missing something, just trying to get my bearings. thanks!

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2023, 11:35:04 AM »
I'm here for same. I was looking for how to reset the envelope on the Pro3 as I couldn't find it. Turns out I can't. I'll just pick another synth for that kind of sweep. But still, it does seem like a bread and butter feature.

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2023, 11:54:52 AM »
3 years ago, he wrote he could do that simple stuff, if he has some time.

Again, I wonder if there will be any future updates. Other synths really got cool stuff and are at 3.0. I dont like the morph feature at all and would have loved more the main requests. Realtime recording, Envelope Retrigger and slides in sequencer.
:(

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2023, 12:22:04 PM »
3 years ago, he wrote he could do that simple stuff, if he has some time.

Again, I wonder if there will be any future updates. Other synths really got cool stuff and are at 3.0. I dont like the morph feature at all and would have loved more the main requests. Realtime recording, Envelope Retrigger and slides in sequencer.
:(

Any one of the three would be welcomed.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1