How to get Arp Chords/Chord Trigger?

How to get Arp Chords/Chord Trigger?
« on: April 12, 2020, 01:19:00 AM »
Hi All:

I'm trying to program a patch to have what I've seen called in Ableton's arppeggiator at least as a 'chord trigger' function.  i.e. I want all the notes held simultaneously when played in a chord to repeat. 

A demonstration of such a patch is in the chorus to Sigrid's "Strangers." (chorus at 1:05).

https://youtu.be/cIriwVhRPVA?t=67

Anyone have ideas on how to accomplish this?

I've been digging into the manual and around the forums/interwebs for how I might do this with the sequencer or arpeggiator, but I haven't cracked it.  I've tried setting an LFO with a triangle shape to control the Cutoff, but it doesn't sound clean enough to accomplish the effect.  Do I accomplish this using the mod matrix somehow?  I feel like I'm trying to invent/re-invent something that there's potentially a much simpler solution to doing and I'm just spacing on a function/feature somewhere?

Many thanks to anyone who can guide the way. Loving the Rev2, but still learning the ropes.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:36:19 AM by Samtheon47 »

Re: How to get Arp Chords/Chord Trigger?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 09:17:00 AM »
I think the gated sequencer would be a good starting point to achieve something along these lines. 

Try selecting cutoff as the Track 1 destination then entering values of (for instance) 120-40-40-40-120-40-40-40-120-40-120-40-Reset

Seq mode: No Gate

Select the 2 pole filter with a cutoff of 20 and when you hold a chord you get a rhythmic repeating pattern.  Obviously you can change the rhythm according to the values you select  in the gated sequencer.   

Playing around with this I also allocated Env 3 to cutoff and put it on repeat to open up the filter a bit more.  Alternatively you could use an LFO.

I don't know if this delivers the sort of result you're after, but it's given me a few ideas, so thanks for that!

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
I think the gated sequencer would be a good starting point to achieve something along these lines. 

Try selecting cutoff as the Track 1 destination then entering values of (for instance) 120-40-40-40-120-40-40-40-120-40-120-40-Reset

Seq mode: No Gate

Select the 2 pole filter with a cutoff of 20 and when you hold a chord you get a rhythmic repeating pattern.  Obviously you can change the rhythm according to the values you select  in the gated sequencer.   

Playing around with this I also allocated Env 3 to cutoff and put it on repeat to open up the filter a bit more.  Alternatively you could use an LFO.

I don't know if this delivers the sort of result you're after, but it's given me a few ideas, so thanks for that!

Thanks for this.  It's yielded similar but slightly better results than the LFO approach.  Biggest issue I seem to have is getting the notes to stop/cutoff distinctly. I've turned down decay/release, etc., but still not quite as crisp as I'd like.  Really wish hard-synths built in more arp modes.  Doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult thing to add diverge/converge/chord modes, etc. But I'm not a coder, so who knows.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 12:10:00 PM »
You could use Chord Memory and trigger the notes with either the arp or the sequencer