Hi new owner, Osc 1 no sound output if VCA panned full LxxxxR

Just as it says, I'm a new owner, and trying to test everything out to make sure I got a good synth... Seems good, but I noticed that if I go to "basic patch" bank B 128, turn down the levels on all the oscs except osc 1, I get no sound unless I turn the VCA pan one notch from LxxxxxR or whatever it is to the next one which is xLxxxRx. Any ideas? I think it's doing this on all patches. Not a big deal, but it's the only issue I have i think... Thanks!

Re: Hi new owner, Osc 1 no sound output if VCA panned full LxxxxR
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
Woops ok nevermind - I misunderstood, and had my left input panned all the way left and right all the way right as two separate channels in my DAW. Once I centered them it is working as expected!

Edit: I should clarify, I had two outputs LR from PE going into my mixer which were then each panned hard left and right (maybe I don't need to do this?) and then I also panned those channels panned in my DAW (my mixer is a single stereo out into my DAW) which I guess was incorrect. I suppose I need to experiment more, what's the correct way to do this? Thanks
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:42:29 AM by jabeck96 »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 01:18:52 PM »
I can't help you with the DAW issues, but I presume you know the PEK's four oscillator's are already panned from the instrument's control panel, and that you can also direct/process each one by using the four individual outputs on the back panel. 

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
I can't help you with the DAW issues, but I presume you know the PEK's four oscillator's are already panned from the instrument's control panel, and that you can also direct/process each one by using the four individual outputs on the back panel.

Thanks, yeah ha ha I could test it that way. So if I isolate a patch to be only oscillator one, then I should only hear output from the left speaker, and the other way around? What also confused me was listening through headphones I'm hearing output from both sides when I do this. Or am I still being dense :)

Oh and the rear outputs are individual voices, not osc right? The basic question I guess boils down to what should I hear if I only play a note with osc 1? Output in L and R, or just L?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:47:25 PM by jabeck96 »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 07:23:46 PM »

Thanks, yeah ha ha I could test it that way. So if I isolate a patch to be only oscillator one, then I should only hear output from the left speaker, and the other way around? That also confused me was listening through headphones I'm hearing output from both sides when I do this. Or am I still being dense :)

Oh and the rear outputs are individual voices, not osc right? The basic question I guess boils down to what should I hear if I only play a note with osc 1? Output in L and R, or just L?

It depends on the setting of the Output Pan parameter, which can eliminate the inbuilt stereo panning of the oscillators.  And yes, voices, rather than oscillators.

Oscillators 1 and 3 are hardwired to the left channel; oscillators 2 and 4 to the right.  But again, these can be centered using the Output Pan parameter, or even reversed.  So, if you use only the first oscillator, depending on how you've set that parameter, it will sound either on the left, in the center, or on the right, and by increments.  The best way to test this is with head phones.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »

Thanks, yeah ha ha I could test it that way. So if I isolate a patch to be only oscillator one, then I should only hear output from the left speaker, and the other way around? That also confused me was listening through headphones I'm hearing output from both sides when I do this. Or am I still being dense :)

It depends on the setting of the Output Pan parameter, which can eliminate the inbuilt stereo panning of the oscillators.  And yes, voices, rather than oscillators.

Oscillators 1 and 3 are hardwired to the left channel; oscillators 2 and 4 to the right.  But again, these can be centered using the Output Pan parameter, or even reversed.  So, if you use only the first oscillator, depending on how you've set that parameter, it will sound either on the left, in the center, or on the right, and by increments.  The best way to test this is with head phones.

Ok thanks very much, makes perfect sense now lol...