Rev 2 stuck in one preset with no sound

Rev 2 stuck in one preset with no sound
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:27:16 AM »

Hi!

I recently purchased a brand new Rev2 (8 Voice),

but I've been frequently having the same issue.

When turned on, after the 'REV2' screen, the synth gets stuck in one preset with no sounds coming out.

If I change the preset or the bank to a different one, it still shows the same preset
(i.e. The screen always shows ResAttackPad even if I move to different presets or banks.)

Does this have to do with MIDI configuration error?
I've tried recalibrating and resetting Rev2, or turning it on and off but still no luck.

Please help!
(The OS is up to date. The purchase was pretty new, like a couple weeks old new)

Re: Rev 2 stuck in one preset with no sound
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 12:43:36 PM »
Does it do that without any cables connected (aside from the power obviously)?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 01:50:35 PM »

I’ve checked it without output cables and midi usb, but not CV and sustain pedal.

Do they affect the operation?

I was thinking about returning it for a new one, but it’d be great if I could solve this issue without resorting to it.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 02:41:56 PM »
Has it ever worked correctly since you got it?

If not, you might have gotten a defective unit, and I would suggest contacting the store where you bought it.

In the meantime, if I were in your situation I would perhaps try to reflash the OS (reinstall the OS)?

Steps to do so, taken from the manual (page 80):

1. Power on the Prophet Rev2 while holding the glide switch to enter
bootloader mode. You’ll see a message on the display.

2. Use a MIDI cable (not USB) to transmit the new OS to your synth. You
must use a standard MIDI cable for this. USB MIDI doesn’t work in
bootloader mode.

3. As the OS loads, you will see the main display count upward from zero
to 99. When it reaches 99, a second count will begin. Do not power
down. The Prophet Rev2 will restart itself when it is done.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:46:08 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 03:01:32 PM »
Thank you so much!

Will try it.

:)

Stay safe!

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »
It is not advised to reload the main OS, nor does it sound like the instrument is defective.

From what you describe, you have LOCAL CONTROL turned off.  To check, press the GLOBAL button, navigate to the LOCAL CONTROL parameter, and turn it on.

I hope this helps!  If you have any further troubles with your REV2, please contact us directly at support@sequential.com.  We are best equipped to advise and troubleshoot any problems you might encounter.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »
I was only trying to help, and thought that his instrument might be locked up.

Anyway, when the advice comes directly from Sequential Support people, it's always the preferred way to go, as they actually know what they're talking about! 😁
Thanks for helping out Carson! 👍

Oh, and I forgot: Welcome to the forum capote12 ! 🤝
Stay safe everyone!

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
So, capote12, any news?

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »
The same thing is happening with my Prophet Rev 2 right now.  The exact same thing.

Only I do not have the abiltys right now to load a new OS.  I had to sens all my computer parts back to manufacturer because they got tainted some how.  I do have a computer with both Linux and Windows...    I know there is a USB midi cord somewhere, but I have never used it and do not have software to interact.   I tried pulling up a virtual keybiard and send midi commands via USB, but still no sound or anything...   I have midi set to reciever mode and npcrn and not cc.

***edit

I just went down to the basement where I have the USB plugged in and hooked up to a backbup PC at my parents and it is out putting sound again, but I can't edit the one patch that it is stuck on.

NVM everything came back.  I had Local Control set to off.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:26:04 PM by ryankm »
16 voice prophet rev2, chroma polaris, minibrute, bass & guitars

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 01:20:12 PM »
It is not advised to reload the main OS, nor does it sound like the instrument is defective.

From what you describe, you have LOCAL CONTROL turned off.  To check, press the GLOBAL button, navigate to the LOCAL CONTROL parameter, and turn it on.

I hope this helps!  If you have any further troubles with your REV2, please contact us directly at support@sequential.com.  We are best equipped to advise and troubleshoot any problems you might encounter.

I registered in the Forum just to say THANKS THANKS THANKS to cbmd
: )