need to apply some kind of overall balance to note volumes...

for some reason bass notes seem to be very quiet and get progressively louder the further up the scale you go uduly grabbing all the attention...

now i know eq can to some extent adress this but is there a way of fixing this at scource within the tempest??..its allmost like i need a simple low pass one knob filter (rather than the parametric) like the high pass but there isnt one...how best to do this?

Re: need to apply some kind of overall balance to note volumes...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:20:57 AM »
Mod Paths:

- Note Number to VCA
- Note Number to Highpass

Cheers!

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 05:29:56 AM »
Mod Paths:

- Note Number to VCA
- Note Number to Highpass

Cheers!

wow thanks!!!...that first one seems to work quite well on maximum minus value ...!

makes me wonder why this isnt the default state of the machine.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »
Well, just be aware that what the machine is producing as far as VCA level is concerned, as would be seen on a proper scope, versus what your ears perceive, are two radically different things.

There are a number of reasons why we might perceive a sound as being louder, even though in actuality it isn't; not the least of which is the fact that we start losing our ability to hear ultrahigh and subsonic frequencies pretty much from the day we hit puberty.  Other reasons include how much harmonic content is present or cumulative in the sound as the knee frequency of the sound is increased: i.e. filter tracking settings, AM/FM modulation intensity, amp feedback, etc.  Never mind the biases of your monitors, headphones, listening environment, and so on...

Anyway, most of the time, the machine itself is in fact producing a steady, unbiased sound; it therefore falls on the perception and preferences of the sound designer or mix engineer to curb any perceived sonic anomalies.  Hence why the default setting on the Tempest (or any comprehensive synth for that matter) is to not presume to apply "note number" to VCA level (or any other aspect of the core sound), as that would be a completely arbitrary move without context.  Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether or not a sound works for your application, and the tools are there for you to change it if necessary.

Cheers!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 02:48:12 AM »
My guess is that you need to revisit your mix.I always mix with my sounds at full volumes/velocity starting from my kick.I like it to be dominant.
Except of course from my jazzy sessions :-)
You can then built your mix around it.
That way it’s strictly a matter of sound design on how your mix will sound.I always tell that to people: “He who knows how to design holds the key to a balanced mix...” and trust me my friend Tempest is all about that!That’s why so many people abandoned it as a difficult and quirky instrument.You just have to know what you’re doing in every step.
Now that i have plenty of time in my hands and for the above ^ reason i started building some genre specific kits for the Tempest mixed and balanced-ready to blow some more speakers out there.These would be available trough my store here:
https://www.yorgosarabatzis.space/store
Cheers!