Best resources for learning synthesis?

Best resources for learning synthesis?
« on: March 23, 2020, 07:05:33 AM »
Where to start with learning synthesis? I watch many videos on gear, but the jargon is still Chinese at this stage.

What are the best resources for learning the concepts, either in books or videos?

I have a Minilogue, thanks to suggestions in this subreddit, and am looking at the 0 Coast, Mother 32 and various modules.

I want to understand connectivity, and what CC, clock and gate are all about - for starters.

All help greatly appreciated.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Best resources for learning synthesis?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »
I would suggest this book - good as either an introduction or a refresher to the fundamentals of analog sound design:

https://www.amazon.com/Analog-Synthesizers-Understanding-Performing-synthesis/dp/0240520726/ref=sr_1_55?keywords=Synthesizer&qid=1584989370&s=books&sr=1-55&swrs=E4F8D8BACC87156C12D725311AD5A5EF

P.S. You might want to wait out the standard Amazon price-gouging.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:54:00 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »
Another classic is Gordon Reid's 63 part series Synth Secrets. You'll find it archived on Sound on Sound's website: https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:47:08 PM »
https://learningsynths.ableton.com/

Moog’s Model D iOS app is also free at the moment and well worth getting.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 05:14:05 PM »
The demo of syntorial as well as Synth Secrets are good, but nothing can substitute time spent reading through your manual and  actually playing with the synth.

chysn

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 05:07:07 AM »
am looking at the 0 Coast, Mother 32 and various modules.

I want to understand connectivity, and what CC, clock and gate are all about - for starters.

It sounds like you're interested in some semimodular synthesizers and some modular concepts. You'll get a lot of value from Patch and Tweak, the videos and the book:

http://patchandtweak.com/
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 08:45:38 PM »
Where to start with learning synthesis? I watch many videos on gear, but the jargon is still Chinese at this stage.

What are the best resources for learning the concepts, either in books or videos?

I have a Minilogue, thanks to suggestions in this subreddit, and am looking at the 0 Coast, Mother 32 and various modules.

All help greatly appreciated.

Syntorial is the best way to learn synthesis hands-down.  And make a list of 50 songs you would want to cover and design the sounds for them on the Minilogue... and then record those songs!  Because that's the point of all this right, to make music? 

Absolutely DO NOT BUY ANOTHER SYNTH until you have done this.  Don't even think about it.  Don't watch videos of other synths, do read forums about other synths, nothing.  The only thing that exists in your life is the Minilogue.  For at least 6 months.

One thing to keep in mind - the Minilogue tends to thin out on bass, so you'll want to learn the very, very basics of compression in your DAW, or just buy a simple compression pedal for when you want to make bass patches with it.

Ignore that Sound on Sound series.  Everyone loves recommending it because it makes them feel smart, but it's a waste of time for a beginner who wants to make music.  If you really love getting technical and don't actually want to make music, then sure, read that series.  Otherwise I don't recommend it until you have finished recording and rough mixing at least 50 songs.

In terms of connectivity, try searching Youtube first, there's got to be a few good videos; Matthew Stratton's channel makes things very easy to understand for beginners, so I'd start there.

CC is just a message that synths/computers can send to each other to control some parameter or other value in the synth/software; I wouldn't worry about it until you need to interconnect things, and right now I strongly suggest you don't do that other than connecting your Minilogue to your DAW or other recording device.

Clock is what it sounds like - it's a channel that sends a pulse out with precise timing that you use to sync your gear.  You usually have "clock" on multiple pieces of gear, including your computer of course, so you'll want to pick which one is the "master clock", and disable the clock on all the rest.

Gate basically means turning a signal on and off, and is usually used to trigger notes, although pitch will often be a separate channel so you might need both of them wired between things depending on what you're trying to do.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:47:59 PM by proteus-ix »

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 04:57:13 AM »
In terms of connectivity, try searching Youtube first, there's got to be a few good video shareit vidmate app