Rev2 not really working as knobby controller for soft synths

Rev2 not really working as knobby controller for soft synths
« on: March 22, 2020, 08:32:39 PM »
Hi Forum, I'm hardly a newbie but I'm definitely shallow :)

I am finding that MIDI learn functionalities with soft synths running in Logic Pro X and Reaper are not working well with my Rev 2 8-voice, whether I use the MIDI learn routine within the third party synths or with the DAWs system of handling controller assignments.

In many cases the knob I am attempting to control will appear to register the controller assignment from my REV2  but then the knob simply won't turn! Meanwhile, everything works as desired when I use my Arturia MINILAB right alongside it.

All I have tried is various Global options on the REV2 (CC vs, NRPN, MIDI vs. USB, Global resets, etc.) with no  luck.

The problem is I can't remember if it has always been this way.

A subject for another post is that I am having a very hard time using the REV2's onboard sounds with MIDI in both DAWS as well--all kinds of off odd patch behavior, but I just offer that here in case it gives an expert something to go on.  Thanks! Sorry if this is all known stuff. I tried searching.

Re: Rev2 not really working as knobby controller for soft synths
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 12:54:18 AM »
I personally have no problem with using the REV2 as controller.
I use it to control the OP-X pro, Arturia JP-8, SEM and Matrix-12.
As to you second question, that also works fine for me, just local control off and bob is your uncle. The only problem is editing the sounds when you have local off. No idea why that sometimes works and sometimes not. Really annoying.

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 05:21:02 AM »
hard time using the REV2's onboard sounds with MIDI in both DAWS as well--all kinds of off odd patch behavior

Odd behavior when using DAW may indicate some midi loop in your setup? (I'm not an expert but I've had that problem myself :) )
--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:38:00 AM »
hard time using the REV2's onboard sounds with MIDI in both DAWS as well--all kinds of off odd patch behavior

Odd behavior when using DAW may indicate some midi loop in your setup? (I'm not an expert but I've had that problem myself :) )

I mean, yeah I think this is probably the case and it may also  be related to the unusability of my REV2 with external MIDI while it is in stack mode.

I know Logic--lol--seems to be firing all kinds of MIDI out messages that I'm not aware of and my patches actually modulate and behave in weird ways when set up for MIDI recording. Reaper is usually above that kind of stuff, but I still have the issue of the virtual knobs not responding to Rev2 knobs and the stack mode kind of cancelling itself.

I'm not at the machine right now but when I am I will test if setting MIDI out to MIDI, disconnecting USB and  disconencting MIDI in to REV2 fixes the knbby controller issue. Meantime any other perspective most welcome! I know we all know at hate the feeling when rig issues take over from creative issues, which are hard enough...

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:46:48 AM »
Ok, I did some more experiments and sure enough, If I simply turn MIDI control off in Global, the REV2 works fine as a knobby controller again.  I'd like to use this as the beginning of the investigation of my MIDI loop problem however, not the solution to the knob  problem, What settings should I be looking for in my DAWs that might be implicated in this? Any help vastly appreciated.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
The rev too has too many parameters for midi so it uses NRPN’s, which often comes off to a daw that doesn’t recognize it as multiple “random” midi messages. This is perhaps the problem.