USB and DIN interfering with each other? Prophet into Logic.

Aleos

Hey all. Hope everyone is healthy and staying safe. And at home making good music while this crazy virus stops everything for a while.

I have the codeknobs editor working with my Prophet Rev2 in Logic. The Prophet  is connected via its USB out. The codeknobs editor and Prophet are communicating fine, seeing all knob and program changes. Perfect.

However, no MIDI note information is being passed. Logic (and my Mac) is not seeing any input.  I am controlling my Prophet module with an external keyboard, which is attached, obviously through a MIDI DIN cable.

My question is; Is it because I am controlling the prophet with an external keyboard, via DIN, that it is shutting down, or not transmitting midi data via USB? Does the Prophet not pass midi 'thru' via USB?

I think I've made all the right adjustments in the global menu (well at least the ones on the codeknobs website). Am I missing something very easy?
Thanks alot.
Stay safe.
A

maxter

Re: USB and DIN interfering with each other? Prophet into Logic.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »
No, there's no MIDI thru from DIN MIDI in - to - USB out. So you'd have to connect the external keyboard to your computer, and route the messages inside it.
The Way the Truth and the Life

maxter

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 04:01:48 PM »
Excuse the brief reply, I was in a rush.

While unfortunate in some cases like yours, most synths don't send MIDI information in either direction between its DIN and USB connections in a "thru" fashion. Probably mostly to minimize the risk of creating MIDI loops.  :o  It's generally a safer/better practice to not chain/merge MIDI devices as in your case, but to use dedicated MIDI interfaces with one DIN port for each device, especially if/when you're processing audio from those connected devices.

Staying safe, you do too! Best wishes,
The Way the Truth and the Life

Aleos

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 09:47:47 AM »
thanks again Maxter for your MIDI knowledge.